Multiplayer maps design

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LienRag

Multiplayer maps design

Post by LienRag »

Sorry if that's the wrong forum to post this...

Are there guidelines for multi-player maps design ?

How is the starting gold determined ?

I've had some ideas about interesting settings but one thing I struggle with is how to keep the map balanced for all faction combinations, especially since I have little MP experience.
Anyone wrote anything about that yet ?
LienRag

Re: Multiplayer maps design

Post by LienRag »

Oh, I just found this...
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

OK, reading about it my main problem is how to manage Drake mobility... it seems to make any creative map design unbalanced.
I can thing of two ways around that, but I'm not sure whether they are accepted in multiplayer :
1 - Add units (either starting loyals, spawned ones, or caged ones that take the side of the first player to reach them) specifically tailored to counter drakes
2 - Use some custom-made anti-flying terrain (like "turbulent water") that slows specifically flying units.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

There is also a guide for designing factions/eras which is not specifically about maps but it does talk about maps a bit.
LienRag wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 4:28 pm 2 - Use some custom-made anti-flying terrain (like "turbulent water") that slows specifically flying units.
Mushrooms may be helpful here.