totally new to linux

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jastiv

Post by Jastiv »

okay, I downloaded the source for SDL_image-1.2.4, but it won't compile. It says it is missing usr/lib/libSDL.so, I go to my usr/lib directory, and I find libSDL.so is linked to a file that does not exsist. I seem to have an earlier version of it though, but I can't seem to change the link or rename the file.
pstradomski

Post by pstradomski »

You might try to issue the following command (as root):

Code: Select all

ldconfig -v
This should fix all library symlinks. IF it doesn't, you can always edit the symlink with a file manager. You could also try to install a newer version of the library.
Jastiv

Post by Jastiv »

Acctually, I fixxed the missing libSDL.so problem by downloading and installing libSDL1.2-devel-1.2.7-2mdk.i586.rpm. I then compiled and installed the source SDL_libraries I downloaded off the SDL site. I have mandrake 10.0 installed here. I compiled and installed the SDL_image-1.2.4. However, the game still will not compile. It gives me the same errior *** SDL_image include files not found!
pstradomski

Post by pstradomski »

Usually, after installing and library with rpm packages you do not need to compile one yourself. It's wasting of disk space, as you have two versions installed (but uninstalling either one now might break the other). I do not understand, why .configure complains. Did you really do "make install" (as root)? Where did the .h files go? if they are in some strange directory, you might need to help configure locating them. Check, where did the files go (perhaps by looking at make install output) adn post the path.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Sounds like you installed SDL_image into /usr/local while the rest of SDL is in /usr. Check that your /etc/ld.config file contains /usr/local/lib as well as /usr/lib (if not, add it and rerun ldconfig).

If you are installing precompiled RPM packages, you might want to just install SDL_image*.rpm from http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/release/ instead.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
pstradomski

Post by pstradomski »

I don't think it'll work - it complains about header files, not libs. Thou giving it a try is a good idea - it won't break anything.

If you find your headers in some obscure location, you could set CPPFLAGS with:
export CPPFLAGS="-I/path/to/sdlheaders/ $CPPFLAGS" before running configure. Space between / and $ is important. But this should not be necessary.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Just an info, in the past i had troubles compiling SDL + wesnoth from source.

But now, maybe some changes occurred, it worked flawlessly (both SDL and wesnoth), and I am very happy.

What I am usually doing is getting a base system including KDE or GNOME headers (and binaries), and from then onward add source-based extra stuff - for some reason i very very rarely have a problem compiling things from source, and advantage is to be faster than to rely on packages usually too
Jastiv

Post by Jastiv »

I managed to fix my problem with libSDL_image-devel by finding a package for mandrake 10.0, unfotunatly, when I try to install the dev version of mixer for mandrake 10.0 I get this error.

Some package requested cannot be installed:
libSDL_mixer1.2-devel-1.2.5-3mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied devel(libsmpeg-0.4))
do you agree ?

I considered useing the rpms from the SDL site, but if I install the devel from there then it gives me an erro message when I try to compile wesnoth. It says SDL_mixer not found. But if I were to uninstall the mandrake one then I would have to uninstall all the game rpms I have now, so I hate to do that since I might lose save games.
pstradomski

Post by pstradomski »

You just need to install libsmpeg to make it work.

What I wrote about using single file from library developers was true for the source code - if they release RPM's, they probablky follow RedHat way of separating files. So, if you're using any RPM's, you have to install both normal and devel versionms. If you install from source, you need only the standard source. Hope that now it's clear.
dtw

Post by dtw »

KK_r wrote:
Stu1989 wrote:I will make it work!!
That's the linux spirit!
The irony is that the longer you spend making it work the easier it gets but with windows you can work your ass off and it still crashes all the time! :lol:
scott

Post by scott »

Ah, mac OS X - the ease of Windows, the power/stability/security of *nix, the configurability of a brick.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jastiv

Post by Jastiv »

Have any idea where I could find this file? (libsmpeg-0.4))
Anyone?
mpolo

Post by mpolo »

Since you're using Fedora Core 3, you would be better off avoiding RPMS that are created for Mandrake (mdk), although that's not the worst thing in the world, either, since Mandrake forked from RedHat a while back. What you want to do is set up /etc/yum.conf to point to a few non-standard repositories. Try going here: http://dag.wieers.com/apt/ and setting up the yum.conf as he suggests. As an added bonus, he has the current development release of wesnoth available as an RPM (though a couple days after release). However, if you install wesnoth through yum, it will get you all the necessary header files and required libraries installed.

If you are behind a proxy, the yum with FC3 won't work properly without some updates (it may not work even then -- I gave up and installed apt-rpm instead).
js138

Source RPMS

Post by js138 »

You might also get decent mileage from installing the S(ource)RPM and learning how to build RPMs from them. I've ported a few apps from OS to OS (and OS version to OS version more commonly) in this manner.

Your problem then comes down to satisfying the dependancies which you would have to solve to compile it anyway.
Jastiv

Post by Jastiv »

Welll, I finnally did get it to compile, install and run properly on my mandrake 10.0 system. The trick was using the matching devel and other rpms for SDL mixer from the SDL site and not the broken mandrake ones,. The other thing I had to do when I finnally installed it was find the place where it was installed since It didn't automatically make a shortcut, I did that by doing a make install again as non root and watch as it told me how I didn't have acces to certain directories. I would like to thank everyone here for thier help. I am amazed how playable this is in multiplayer compared to games like heroes of might and mage where players wait forever for thier turns.