[Complete] Ladder Tournament #1

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BadHatHarry

Re: [Open] Ladder Tournament #1

Post by BadHatHarry »

Cackfiend wrote: January 10th, 2021, 1:37 am No time limit.
It's very pity. If one player would take 10 minutes for each turn - and other player would fall asleep - is that would be supposed as cheating? :)
Cackfiend wrote: January 10th, 2021, 1:37 am Players may pick their faction/leader if they'd like.
How this supposed to be? If both players want same faction, for example? Who would choose first?

And is it possibly to play w/o spectators?

And why play Hornshark Island... to test normal units?
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

BadHatHarry wrote: January 10th, 2021, 10:58 pm
Cackfiend wrote: January 10th, 2021, 1:37 am No time limit.
It's very pity. If one player would take 10 minutes for each turn - and other player would fall asleep - is that would be supposed as cheating? :)
Cackfiend wrote: January 10th, 2021, 1:37 am Players may pick their faction/leader if they'd like.
How this supposed to be? If both players want same faction, for example? Who would choose first?

And is it possibly to play w/o spectators?

And why play Hornshark Island... to test normal units?
Thanks for the questions. I addressed two of them in the original post.

As far as the chance for a mirror: if both players want to pick the same faction then that is their choice. I highly doubt it will be an issue.
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Signing in :)
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
BadHatHarry

Post by BadHatHarry »

Please put me in the list.

^^ And why play Hornshark Island... to test normal units? I would kick that map.
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

Please sign me up! :)
I'd consider putting even a long time limit (like 10 mins) instead of none whatsoever. It would be very annoying if someone continously took 30 mins for their turn.
BadHatHarry wrote: January 10th, 2021, 11:13 pm ^^ And why play Hornshark Island... to test normal units? I would kick that map.
I wonder why it's in Ladder Classic Maps. Ruphus Isle is so much better.
Cackfiend wrote: January 10th, 2021, 11:07 pm As far as the chance for a mirror: if both players want to pick the same faction then that is their choice. I highly doubt it will be an issue.
You can set "No Mirror" in game settings, it's not an issue.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

ForPeace wrote: January 10th, 2021, 11:19 pm Please sign me up! :)
I'd consider putting even a long time limit (like 10 mins) instead of none whatsoever. It would be very annoying if someone continously took 30 mins for their turn.
BadHatHarry wrote: January 10th, 2021, 11:13 pm ^^ And why play Hornshark Island... to test normal units? I would kick that map.
I wonder why it's in Ladder Classic Maps. Ruphus Isle is so much better.
Cackfiend wrote: January 10th, 2021, 11:07 pm As far as the chance for a mirror: if both players want to pick the same faction then that is their choice. I highly doubt it will be an issue.
You can set "No Mirror" in game settings, it's not an issue.
there might be a turn that takes more than 10 mins in a large complicated game. if someone is abusing the no time limit rule by sitting there for an excessive amount of time even though they arent doing anything then they can report the game to me and i can take a look. I've seen too many good games ruined by timers.

Ruphus Isle isnt in classic because it came into the game much later than the original maps and wasnt created/balanced by Doc Patterson iirc. It wasn't even discussed during the Ladder Map Council days. That being said, it is a solid map, but won't be used for this tournament.

Hornshark Island is extremely different than what it used to be. The 6 units you start with makes things interesting. I would need some more feedback on what people think about this map for competitive play in order to justify excluding it from the random map pool. I personally have never played it since they made the changes.

No Mirror doesnt work when both people pick the same faction :)

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
DanielBRahma

Post by DanielBRahma »

olá, pode me inscrever também. Obg.
amikrop

Post by amikrop »

Please register myself too. For the next week I can only play after midnight (europe-ish time), I hope that doesn't disable me. I guess if it becomes a problem I will just suffer the respective defeat, not the end of the world :)
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

DanielBRahma wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:13 am olá, pode me inscrever também. Obg.
can someone translate this for me? ;)

quincy2112

Post by quincy2112 »

I've done very little competitive multiplayer Wesnoth, but what the hell, count me in
Arktos

Post by Arktos »

Please sign me in
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

amikrop wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:55 am Please register myself too. For the next week I can only play after midnight (europe-ish time), I hope that doesn't disable me. I guess if it becomes a problem I will just suffer the respective defeat, not the end of the world :)
This tournament starts on 1st February.

@Cackfiend Based on my previous tournament experience, I believe it's worth requesting participation confirmation in the last week of registration to avoid multiple walkovers in the first round.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
Lukraak

Post by Lukraak »

Hey this looks fun, I'm in :).
Just to double-check I understand the structure: we play ~5 randomly assigned players, then get seeded into a DE tree based on results?
amikrop

Post by amikrop »

After re-viewing the initial post, I come to say it is best if my registration is removed from the tournament, as I willl have highly irregular availability and will probably just mess the schedule up. I will try to watch games of the tournament though, and still wish best of luck to all the players, and the organizer. Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

amikrop wrote: January 11th, 2021, 1:18 pm After re-viewing the initial post, I come to say it is best if my registration is removed from the tournament, as I willl have highly irregular availability and will probably just mess the schedule up. I will try to watch games of the tournament though, and still wish best of luck to all the players, and the organizer. Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience.
OK, if you change your mind let me know. The tournament starts Feb 1st and you have a week to complete each match.