Error when uploading an add-on

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
revansurik

Error when uploading an add-on

Post by revansurik »

Hello folks! I'm having a problem when trying to make an upload to the add-ons server; the upload fails, and this error message appears: "Add-on rejected: the add-on contains an illegal directory or file name. File or directory names may not contain any of the following characters: '/ \ : ~'". The thing is, there is none of these characters in any of the folders or files of the campaign. In fact, it's already on the server, only this time, as I've tried to upload a new version, did this error happen (though it did happen as I tried to upload other campaigns to the 1.12 server). Is there a chance that the real error is related to something else? And if so, how may I find the problem?
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Error when uploading an add-on

Post by Ravana »

Illegal symbol also includes space, did you check for that?

I would start dealing with this problem by creating list of file paths with command line and looking there for such symbols.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

What is the path to your add-on? Also, is there anything in the stderr.txt?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

The path is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.11.7\userdata\data\add-ons\Aria_of_the_Dragon_Slayer

As for space, I'm not finding any file or folder with blank space...

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Use a variation of http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14859 to find out the problematic file. Basically, (temporarily) delete half of your addon's files and try. If success, repeat with the deleted part. Otherwise, repeat with the remaining part.
Guaranteed to find you whatever/wherever the problem is, even if the error message is wrong. Just time consuming.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Used this method, managed to locate the problem: a period in one of the file's names ¬¬

Thanks for the aid! :-D

;-)
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Hello Guys, even if this topic is 6 years old, I have the same problem. I don't understand why, because I already published a first campaign (A Goblin Adventure) with success, and I'm updating it without any issues.

Here I want to publish my new campaign, From Rocks And Blood (troll 23lvl campaign), but I simply can't.

So, to explain : I have the same error than revansurik. Problem is that EVEN if I delete ALL my campaign files except Main.cfg and server.pbl, It says the same error.

The more troubling is that its giving me a file name, down of the error. The file name is a .doc in wich I was making a to do list in order to finish my campaign (a summary of all the work needed before to publish). I deleted this file long time ago ! And Wesnoth addon server give me it's name.

So surprising. Especially after having deleted all my campaign !

I checked also hidden files, nothing...

If you guys can help me ... I' musing Wesnoth 1.14.14
Attachments
test2.png
test.png
Creator and maintainer of "A goblin adventure" (available) and "From Rocks and Blood"(available) --- Working on a new campaign "Facing Death"
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'd suggest first trying to restart your computer and then re-checking both if the document's temporary file is gone as well as if the error continues to be displayed.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Thanks for advice.

I did it, it doesn't work.

I deleted addon file te get a fresh one, same. Don't work.

I cleaned all temporary files from my computer (win10) --- not ok.

I'm trying to uninstall wesnoth now
Creator and maintainer of "A goblin adventure" (available) and "From Rocks and Blood"(available) --- Working on a new campaign "Facing Death"
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Windows sometimes hides information from you. Try to delete the mentioned file with command line.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

If there's a bad/hidden file in the folder, you could probably just do this:
  1. Delete the entire From_rocks_and_blood folder (I'm assuming you have a backup of all your add-on files somewhere!)
  2. Re-create the From_rocks_and_blood folder (using New > Folder in Windows)
  3. Copy all your add-on files into the From_rocks_and_blood folder you just created
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Reinstalling the game don't work either. Cmd line cannot find the file. I'm looking for solutions on the web. Frustrating !! I wanted to publish it today ^^ :lol: :lol:

EDIT:
Oh I just saw your message gnombat. I'm trying it, thanks

EDIT 2:
WOOOOOH it worked Gnombat !!! Thanks to you all for your help !

It's crazy cause even deleting the addon file, the wesnoth game, the temporary files didn't worked ! But creating with new folder by my self is ok !! Thank you so much. I'm gonne publish tonight my campaign !
Last edited by WhiteWolf on December 11th, 2020, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged 3 one-minute-apart posts