Trouble hosting a LAN game

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Orvalax

Trouble hosting a LAN game

Post by Orvalax »

I'm trying to host a game on my computer and have my brother connect to my computer over the LAN but we can't seem to figure out how to get it to work. I'm not sure if we're doing somthing wrong or not. I tryed searching the forums but I couldn't find and info on doing this.
scott

Post by scott »

Hmmm... what address are you trying? What is his computer's IP address? You don't have to say (in a public forum). What if you type in his IP address, either local (10.0.0.1 and similar schemes) or normal internet (55.245.129.65)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
orvalax

Post by orvalax »

Am I just supposed to be able to type in his ip address in the join game menu to connect to his computer or am I supposed to type in the name on his computer on the network?
orvalax

Post by orvalax »

Both of our computers are on the network. We're on a LAN.
My ip is 192.168.1.101
His ip is 192.168.1.100
He is actually trying to connect to my computer, I'm hosting the game. We've tryed typing in my ip address in the join game menu but that doesn't work. I'm not sure what else I can try. I'm at a but of a loss of ideas.
dms

Post by dms »

Are you running a firewall program like Zonealarm?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

just make hotseat game :P
orvalax

Post by orvalax »

I don't have any sort of firewall. I forgot to mention that I'm runnig Linux so a few things are a bit different. And we want to use the network so we can be in different rooms. We need to find out why its not working on the network.

Whaht does eveyone else type in to join a game on a home network?
silene

Post by silene »

orvalax wrote:What does eveyone else type in to join a game on a home network?
Two possibilities. First, one player can select "Host a game without server" and create a game; then the other players select "Join a server or hosted game" and type the IP address of the host (so 192.168.1.101 in your case).

Second, a server (wesnothd) can be launched on a computer, and then all the players will "Join a server or hosted game" with the IP address of this computer.

Both solutions are supposed to work. Be sure not to use the same login in the multiplayer boxes. And to use the same version of the game.
dms

Post by dms »

orvalax wrote:I don't have any sort of firewall. I forgot to mention that I'm runnig Linux so a few things are a bit different. And we want to use the network so we can be in different rooms. We need to find out why its not working on the network.
I assume other things work on this network and it's just Wesnoth that doesn't?

Linux has firewall capability built in. To find out what it's doing, login as root and type:

Code: Select all

iptables -L
(If it's an old linux use "ipchains -L" instead)
This will print out the firewall rules. Hopefully that'll tell you if it's a firewall problem or not.
orvalax

Post by orvalax »

Playing Wesnoth over the network is the only thing I've tryed to use the network for. And its not working sa you can see. with the iptables -L command it doesn't really display anything. Here is what it gives me:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
I'm guessing from the accept messages that it's not blocking anything. Are there any really stupid mistakes I could be over looking?
dms

Post by dms »

That's right, so the firewall isn't the problem.

Can you ping the other computer?

ping <ip address>