New Player - Feedback & Small Questions

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crixomix

New Player - Feedback & Small Questions

Post by Crixomix »

Hello all,

New player here, hooleee crap this game is great! Advance Wars was one of my favorite games and this scratches that itch and then some. I've played through the first 3 campaigns already and I'm loving it! I can't believe it's free! Wow!

Couple questions:
  • I know units get XP for killing enemies, how much, exactly, do they get? What's the formula?
  • Units get XP for getting in fights, I think? Is this always 1 XP? Does it matter if you're attacking or defending? Does it matter if you deal damage? Is it just always 1 forever and always?
  • I noticed there are some mods that have more unit types/longer upgrade paths. Do these do anything in SP campaigns? I have no interest in multiplayer
  • What are the best mods to get for a player that still wants a balanced game and would only want mods that increase quality of life, not make it easy.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: New Player - Feedback & Small Questions

Post by Pentarctagon »

For #1 - it's <unit level> times 8, except for level 0 units which are 4 xp.
For #2 - it's the level of the unit being attacked. If a level 1 unit attacks a level 2 unit, the level 1 unit will get 2 xp and the level 2 unit will get 1 xp. No other aspect affects that.
For #3 - it's possible, though not as likely, since the mod would need to be coded to override recruit lists and such.
For #4 - I'm not sure about, though others might have some suggestions.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Crixomix

Post by Crixomix »

Pentarctagon wrote: April 7th, 2020, 4:47 am For #1 - it's <unit level> times 8, except for level 0 units which are 4 xp.
For #2 - it's the level of the unit being attacked. If a level 1 unit attacks a level 2 unit, the level 1 unit will get 2 xp and the level 2 unit will get 1 xp. No other aspect affects that.
For #3 - it's possible, though not as likely, since the mod would need to be coded to override recruit lists and such.
For #4 - I'm not sure about, though others might have some suggestions.
Thanks for the response!

To clarify, on #2, what about a lvl 3 unit and a lvl 2 unit? Does the lvl 2 unit get 3 XP and the lvl 3 unit get 2XP? So each "fighter" gains XP based on the opponents lvl, essentially?
Poison

Post by Poison »

Yes. Also the color of the xp bar helps you. Blue means you have to kill a lv3 to advance, light blue a lv2 and white a lv1.
Last edited by Poison on April 7th, 2020, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crixomix

Post by Crixomix »

Ravana wrote: April 7th, 2020, 10:22 am 3 - https://r.wesnoth.org/t34170
4 - https://r.wesnoth.org/t39771
Thanks, I don't quite understand the first one. I'm mainly interested in playing pre-created campaigns. Does that mod let you essentially turn "skirmish" type maps into campaigns? ones where they're designed for multiplayer, but you play them against AI and maintain a persistent army? As much as that's better than just random skirmishes, I don't quite think that's what I'm looking for. I'll just stick with custom campaigns I guess :)
Crixomix

Post by Crixomix »

Another question, I'm wanting to get a mod that makes healers gain 1xp for healing. I got one called "XP Manager" (that lets you set XP gains for healing, among other things), but it doesn't seem to be working? Any suggestions?
Poison

Post by Poison »

This (shamans/ mages healing) is supposed to break balance which is sth you don't want, supposedly. The mods aren't installed automatically, you have to select them from a drop-down menu in the campaign selection screen.
Crixomix

Post by Crixomix »

Poison wrote: April 7th, 2020, 6:37 pm This (shamans/ mages healing) is supposed to break balance which is sth you don't want, supposedly. The mods aren't installed automatically, you have to select them from a drop-down menu in the campaign selection screen.
I did select them. And I set the "XP on heal" to 1, but it didn't work. I've tested multiple times on a new campaign (heir to the throne) and I get a unit damage, have a shaman heal the unit, and then the shaman still has 0 XP.

It's okay. It's not like I want things to be overpowered and easy. But it is a bit frustrating to have to send elvish shamans into the fray, they are so weak it's really hard to get kills with them!
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

Crixomix wrote: April 7th, 2020, 6:41 pm It's okay. It's not like I want things to be overpowered and easy. But it is a bit frustrating to have to send elvish shamans into the fray, they are so weak it's really hard to get kills with them!
It's a little bit tricky, but not really hard. Just takes a little bit of practice. If you stay in the forest (70% defense) with them, and don't get them exposed to three attacks or more in a single turn, they'll almost always survive, and often don't get attacked at all. Just keep them in the second row, and whenever there's an opponent with just a tiny couple of hp left, jump over there and try to kill him with the shaman. And when you feel a little bit unsafe with her afterwards, it often helps to expose some poor damaged fighter as a bait, to drag the pressure away from your valuable, experienced shaman. Example in the attachment:
Attachments
AOI-Verteidigt den Wald Aufzeichnung abspielen.gz
(14.15 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Poison wrote: April 7th, 2020, 1:25 pm Yes. Also the color of the xp bar helps you. Blue means you have to kill a lv3 to advance, light blue a lv2 and white a lv1.
WOW! I always thought the colours were just a general sense of how close you are. White = white hot hehe. Did not know they actually were arranged like that. I assume that killing a level 0 didn't get its own colour code? BTW Light Blue culd also be defined as needing 2 lvl 1 kills and Blue as needing 3.

P.S. To the newbie: Killing a level 0 gives 4 xp always and gives 0 xp for fighting with! You could use that effect to send in level 0's to kill an enemy that is 1 xp from leveling. Attacking them and failing to kill them just helps the enemy. : )
Crixomix

Post by Crixomix »

Another question. What is AMLA? I know it's when a max level unit hits their full XP bar, but what does it do? I tried a forum search and google search both and couldn't find any results.

To be frank I'm a bit surprised at how little information you can find on this game, given it's been out for 20 years. (not a dig, I love this game and that it's free and the community so far! But it's surprising compared to most other games where there's plethoras of information on wikis and such)
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Most units get healed and +3 max hp when they advance while max level.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

There is the in-game help as well. AMLA (After Max Level Advancement) is described in Gameplay > Advancement for example.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Crixomix

Post by Crixomix »

Thanks!