Poll: do orcs eat humans?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

do orcs eat humans?

orcs never eat human meat
6%
orcs eat human meat only if there is no other food
22%
orcs occasionally eat human meat, but prefer animal meat
33%
orcs treat human and animal meat the same way
29%
orcs like human meat more than animal meat
10%

Total votes: 72

AOW

Re: Poll: do orcs eat humans?

Post by AOW »

The orcs conqueror is likely to enslave the local people,I think
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

AOW wrote: November 27th, 2019, 3:00 pm The orcs conqueror is likely to enslave the local people,I think
Yes, as they did in Northern Rebirth.
AOW

Post by AOW »

tr0ll wrote: November 28th, 2019, 6:28 am
AOW wrote: November 27th, 2019, 3:00 pm The orcs conqueror is likely to enslave the local people,I think
Yes, as they did in Northern Rebirth.
I mean: the benefits of slavery are far greater than the benefits of being food, especially for an invasive species, think about why they invade (Viking, Mongols...)

Do orcs eat humans? It really depends on the concept of culture :geek:
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

So, enslave the adults and cook the children.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
gaojicainiao

Post by gaojicainiao »

I think vengeful orcs may eat humans' meat to express their hatred and threaten them, such as when humans slew their shamans.

Hmm...I wonder how does elves' meat taste. :mrgreen:
And I have another question: Orcs eat raw meat or cooked meat or both?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

They use fire, so they definitely eat cooked meat.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I think research indicates that the calories needed to support a large brain pretty much necessitate the consumption of cooked meat. Otherwise the time spent eating would not allow sufficient time for hunting and sleeping.

I view Orcs more as akin to homo neanderthalensis so their diet is probably 80% meat and 20% vegetables.

As to who eats whom, while there is no direct evidence that homo sapiens and homo neanderthalensis consumed each other, there is good evidence that homo sapiens consumes other species of great apes, so it is not an unreasonable conclusion both consumed the other.

Both are known to have cooked their food either over open flame or by boiling.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Tad_Carlucci wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 1:38 pm I think research indicates that the calories needed to support a large brain pretty much necessitate the consumption of cooked meat. Otherwise the time spent eating would not allow sufficient time for hunting and sleeping.
This is very obviously not true.
Tad_Carlucci wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 1:38 pm I view Orcs more as akin to homo neanderthalensis so their diet is probably 80% meat and 20% vegetables.
Why exactly are you bringing up Neanderthals? I hope it's not as a measure of intelligence.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

I think he means that they are just another species.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

"just another species" of humanoid (species homo).

How "obviously not true"? Perhaps I mistated it? Meat is more efficient and is required to support the larger, intelligent brain. Cooking increaes efficiency. We're talking about the species, not individuals.
AOW

Post by AOW »

Tad_Carlucci wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 1:38 pm I think research indicates that the calories needed to support a large brain pretty much necessitate the consumption of cooked meat. Otherwise the time spent eating would not allow sufficient time for hunting and sleeping.

I view Orcs more as akin to homo neanderthalensis so their diet is probably 80% meat and 20% vegetables.

As to who eats whom, while there is no direct evidence that homo sapiens and homo neanderthalensis consumed each other, there is good evidence that homo sapiens consumes other species of great apes, so it is not an unreasonable conclusion both consumed the other.

Both are known to have cooked their food either over open flame or by boiling.
But neanderthals and homo sapiens interbred, didn't they? It doesn't look very Wesnoth. ;)

If you're looking for cannibalism traditions, yes, homo sapiens did the same thing to each other.

From mythology, historical records and archaeological evidence, cannibalism was once common. Cannibalism, in the eyes of modern people is a very barbaric, terrible behavior, but in the minds of primitive people is a very natural thing, eat lost the ability to work the sick and sick, relieve their fear of sitting idle, is the moral act.

That doesn't mean we need to start a Poll where humans can eat humans.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Not looking for canibalism since, to me, the question is does one humanoid species (Homo Orcus?) eat another (Homo Sapiens). Archeological evidence shows another (Homo Neandertalis) certainly did. So it seems logical to conclude other human species do as well. And Orcs and Humans interbreed to make Half-Orcs in many gaming systems; which is what I was thinking about.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Tad_Carlucci wrote: December 4th, 2019, 2:03 pm How "obviously not true"? Perhaps I mistated it? Meat is more efficient and is required to support the larger, intelligent brain. Cooking increaes efficiency. We're talking about the species, not individuals.
The roughly 5% of the human population who don't eat meat at all will surely be shocked to learn that that they're just not as intelligent as you. Except of course that it's not true – for example, India has the highest proportion of vegetarians, yet I don't think you'd find anyone who isn't racist claiming that they're not as intelligent as people from other countries.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Given the context of this thread, even if orcs do eat human meat, they probably don't eat enough human meat for it to have a meaningful impact on their overall diet.

If you're going to argue about whether meat eating and intelligence are related though, I believe this is something that's been fairly heavily researched, so sources to cite should abound.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Mathel

Post by Mathel »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 5th, 2019, 2:59 am
Tad_Carlucci wrote: December 4th, 2019, 2:03 pm How "obviously not true"? Perhaps I mistated it? Meat is more efficient and is required to support the larger, intelligent brain. Cooking increaes efficiency. We're talking about the species, not individuals.
The roughly 5% of the human population who don't eat meat at all will surely be shocked to learn that that they're just not as intelligent as you. Except of course that it's not true – for example, India has the highest proportion of vegetarians, yet I don't think you'd find anyone who isn't racist claiming that they're not as intelligent as people from other countries.
"We're talking about the species, not individuals."