1.16 SP Campaign: Trinity

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.14 SP Campaign: Trinity

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.3 has been uploaded to BfW 1.14
change-log, from github commits
P1-S(K)3: make off-script defeat of AI less problematic.
P1-S(K)2: replace Shaman enthrallment event with something more standard
P1-S(K)1: remove vector attack from Echidna/Leggon, and make Leggon glow
some improvements to Dark Planet robot scenario
convert indexed images to RGB so BLIT works
remove reference to obsolete green mage unit
portraits for big Seth beasts
dialog touch-ups to some scenarios in Part2
phantom beast portrait (jackal)
Mech Android and Mech Mine unit portraits
some buffs to the mechanical birds
P1 - fix typo in early scenario
some fixes to early P2 maps, mostly gates-related
P2 - fixes to Tower First Floor(I)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

17,84/16,83/13,84 don't work so well with the overlay thing.
Spoiler:
In the upper left corner of the map Tower - Outside there are 'outside' of the map 3 sand hexes. Everything else there is sky. (Tower - Second Floor Landing shares the flaw.)
Spoiler:
Vérilien died, turned into a Khthon, talked with her sister and yeah. Invalid WML bug.
Spoiler:
EDIT:
Tower - Outside
Bronze Birds, Silver Birds, Breezes, Gusts, Gales. They all say 'Made it.' when entering the tower.

EDIT 2:
Ponce is his base version (no xp/AMLA) in 'Redirection' and 'Shipwreck'.

Tower - Second Floor (I)
After moving to a lit hex you can undo your move. If you do so, the tower will shake and grumble again, but door that's linked to the hex will stay open.

EDIT 3:
What is Aidra doing with Keldan at the bottom of the tower?
Tri2-Tower - Second Floor Landing-Auto-Save1.gz
(169.77 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Tower - Second Floor (II)
I'm supposedly cut off from my troops. So why is my recall list full?

Somehow my backup Sky-Caller disappeared from my recall list between Tower - Outside and Tower: First Floor.
Tri2-Tower - Outside replay.gz
You can see in the statistics that I recalled a Sky-Caller and she didn't die. And I'm sure enough that I moved her into the tower before finishing the scenario.
(93.42 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
Tri2-Tower First Floor.gz
Only one (special) Sky-Caller in my recall list. :/
(75.94 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
EDIT 4:
Bitter Truth
when he is at the entrance -> entrance.

EDIT 5:
Interlude
Echidna recruits/recalls on 5 hexes, one of them exactly north of her (and that's not a castle hex actually (there is one castle hex she does not recruit on). Only the Thrall units and and the units on the castle are turned over to Keldan. (Btw, why does she randomly recruit a lvl 1 unit? Why not recall another one?)
Spoiler:
EDIT 6:
Bitter Truth
The bridge on 18,14 looks very passable, so why is it impassable?
Tri2-Bitter Truth-Auto-Save14.gz
(189.43 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
EDIT 7:
Bitter Truth
Tristien's Henchman can be enthralled. But any unit that attacks an enthralled Henchmen is send away by Tristien.

Tower - Upper Levels
You can enter the tower through the door to the lower floor. If you do that, the enemies don't spawn. (Or rather they spawn once you enter through the correct door.)

EDIT 7:
Tower - Upper Levels
The enemies in the Magnellian Floor spawn outside of the tower instead of inside.
Spoiler:
Attachments
Tri2-Tower - Upper Levels-Auto-Save1.gz
(207.07 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Give new avatars and sprites for the units which have them in common. Then, why not drawing Keldan and Iliena's avatars as they looked like before Echidna's arrival?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The 'Cyan Wizard' is for some reason a 'Human' instead of a 'Magnellian'.

EDIT:
I figured out what happened with the Magnellian Floor. They spawn once you move to 26,50. And you can enter that floor through 15,51 and then teleport to the another room on the floor...and leave through 26,50, causing them to spawn on the map you are now. Which is the outside of the tower.
I suggest having them spawn once you move to 15,51 or 26,50.

EDIT 2:
Keldan is his base version in 'Interlude - Gateway (III)'.

Tower Peak
In my case Silver Birds came in and warned me of the Tower being hit.
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Konrad2 wrote: September 17th, 2019, 8:37 pm EDIT 2:
Keldan is his base version in 'Interlude - Gateway (III)'.
No, when he's a true elf he has the Marshal's avatar, instead of an elvish version of his Khthonic one. Iliena, too, when she should look like an elvish Echidna, since she takes her body, like she previously did with Carghanna and Leggon.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Kylix wrote: September 18th, 2019, 4:29 pm No, when he's a true elf he has the Marshal's avatar, instead of an elvish version of his Khthonic one. Iliena, too, when she should look like an elvish Echidna, since she takes her body, like she previously did with Carghanna and Leggon.
He is a Khthon in said scenario. Now stop spoilering.

EDIT:
Pushback
Ponce is still his base lvl 3 version. I guess I won't be getting that xp back.

Advisor Lyron is lvl 2 and quick/intelligent in 'Road to Weldyn', intelligent/strong in 'Seance', loyal/quick in 'Redirection'. And then he is lvl 3 and loyal/quick Pushback.
Ponce also has changing traits in Trinity Part 2.
Basically, they are everchanging and a minor inconsistency.

EDIT 2:
Pushback
The shroud is not applied to my allies.

you for that,Advisor -> , Advisor

prevail!Attack! -> ! Attack

The objectives are not updated after Calderas 'accident' or after the arrival of your allies. Or not properly updated, when you discover Dolevan. (To many or missing defeat conditions.)

After Tristien makes his appearance, the scenario objectives update (still elaving out Ponce and the Advisor though), but if I want to look at the objectives again, I only get the 'old' objectives, from when I was only facing Dolevan.

EDIT 3:
A lot of hexes in this scenario should be impassable based on how they look, but they aren't.

EDIT 4:
Dark Planet
The screen does not scroll to my leader when my turn starts, the defeat conditions are incomplete, and Caldera is missing a silver crown (she has been missing it since her ermergence from that swamp).

EDIT 5:
Enthrallment does not remove the 'venom' status effect (from 'Storming Weldyn').
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Konrad2 wrote: September 16th, 2019, 1:02 pm 17,84/16,83/13,84 don't work so well with the overlay thing.
[up to some Pushback stuff]
I think I've got most of that fixed now, thanks. Ponce traits, Pushback scenario objectives updates, and Pushback terrain are still be TBD. It'll be in the next update (though some of it won't be fully tested, at least it doesn't kill the scenario).
Kylix wrote: September 18th, 2019, 4:29 pm No, when he's a true elf he has the Marshal's avatar, instead of an elvish version of his Khthonic one. Iliena, too, when she should look like an elvish Echidna, since she takes her body, like she previously did with Carghanna and Leggon.
I get what you mean, but it's a low priority as they don't look so radically different from the default that a new portrait is needed for standard elf units with appearance in only one scenario. Ideally yes, they get their own non-khthon portraits, but there is so much more that needs to be done first.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.4 has been uploaded to BfW 1.14 server.
Changelog (from github commits)
some minor revisions to P2 scenarios
P2 Dark PLanet IIc - removed some moveto events that seemed to ruin t…
P2 Dark Planet IIb - revised end-of-scenario filtering
trying to unify Lyrons traits across scenarios
P2 Tower Peak (cutscene) - refine filtering of random unit, to avoid …
P2 Bitter Truth - refine filtering in final battle with Azure mages
units - make Cyan Wizard a Magnellian instead of regular human
P2 Tower Upper Levels - add filtering to ensure inside events stay in…
P2 Tower Upper Levels - fix going down first doorway near starting po…
P2 Outside Tower - store breeze recruiter to recall list
change base of ruins1-arc image to fix sprite layering
elf khthon spy scripted movement caused error in some maps, this shou…
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Version 1.5.5. has been uploaded to BfW 1.14 server. It is a minor update, but I think it mostly fixes one of the finales scenarios, so it isn't completely pointless.
Changelog from github commits
version bump to 1.5.5
some terrain graphics layering adjustments for the Dark Planet towers
P2 Dark Planet Finale - some event and unit cleanups
P2 Dark Planet (II) - make potion overlay larger
General Tristien portrait
updating Dark Planet maps to use new terrains
some minor terrain additions and improvements
P2 - Dark Planet Finale - attempt to fix some broken event logic
Duncan-Idaho

Post by Duncan-Idaho »

There are a few bugs here, on the tower 2F scenario after solving the first puzzle there is nothing to do. I can't go back onto the tower I came out of nor I can go down to the previous floor, for the Moon I scenarion the king is currently stuck in a loop of calling for a non existent unit on the map.

Am I meant to recall all my troops and send them down?

I am finally on the last scenario, but I have a problem.

Looking at your code, there should be an event where harald goes and says some stuff and it changes to "absorb khtons".

The event is not triggering, I am wondering, what's the condition? Turn count?
Duncan-Idaho

Post by Duncan-Idaho »

Review of "Trinity":

Gameplay: The way of playing the game hasn't varied much, this time around I did ended playing more with the Primevals and boy, they are an odd duck race, but they are well suited to countering their enemies the khtons,as a race they are kinda not so different from the north men I used in the previous campaign, they have a large movement unit, some ok mages and your typical brute force unit, I feel a little more variety could be thrown in onto the mix.

On the other hand the Khtons feel like they got the short end of the stick here. Their thrall is fairly effective, but the thralls themselves aren't as good as the zombie, because they can't spread the infection to other units, it has to be a non thrall to do it, some of their units feel fairly peculiar and I like them, specially the ones that can do both: Pass infection and hit hard.

Lastly its the objectives, as the campaign nears its end, the objectives become harder to parse, I was stuck on the epilogue for a bit because none of the units I kept sending could start a fire, so checking the code gave me a clue of what I needed to do, I feel that having such a small selection is not exactly a good idea, specially when I went ahead and turned the only mages I get onto white mages for their flying promotion+illuminate.

On the very last scenario I had problem thralling people, and figuring out what I needed to do, this is a two fold issue:

1) The objectives don't quite tell me as much as I'd love to and I am honestly confused about some of the choices lead to the Primeval Scenario.
2) Achieving some of the goals honestly becomes a bit of a migraine because Nemesis is effectively an immortal and unkillable unit who hits hard and has an excellent movement range, even if by this point I have some way of fending her off, its not going to be without heavy loses.

Story:

The story itself is fairly good, I can't say I am exactly surprised as Nemesis's actions given that all the Primevals are stubborn and can't seemingly accept they might be making a mistake, sans Dardrus who might as well be the smartest of the lot and the ones experiment by the Magnellians.

Speaking of them... I quite liked them as a thematic race, space wayfarers who became enslaved to Seth/The destroyer is an interesting take on "space humans" and not a terrible one, would've loved to be able to play as them at some point (beyond the cyborgs that Keldan can recruit).

My only real problems come at the tail end of the campaign, the two epilogues kinda seem... out of place here.

If Dardrus uses the Scepter of Fire to stop Nemesis immortality, this somehow leads to her winning and building an empire and Harald just... surrenders, forgetting the sacrifice of Dardrus whereas 5 minutes before he was like "he must've done something! We now can kill her!" and then, there is the fact the scepter itself is left laying down on the ground and no one thinks to pick it up.

Dardrus obviously has the knowledge on how to use it to rob immortal of their ever lasting life, so I don't think that the whole "absorb all the Kthon souls" is needed.

The only last critique I can give is that the story suffers from being a bit too thin in places, its kinda expected because you jump between three and later on four factions and POV's. Maybe a couple extra scenarios could be added to aid the character development of everybody.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.6 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.14 server. It fixes some issues in the final scenarios. Probably not all of them, but at least I was able to get through it without an error. There is a new Lua menu for the Khthon branch of the Coda scenario, requires Archaic Resources update.
Duncan-Idaho wrote: October 20th, 2019, 1:57 am If Dardrus uses the Scepter of Fire to stop Nemesis immortality, this somehow leads to her winning and building an empire and Harald just... surrenders, forgetting the sacrifice of Dardrus whereas 5 minutes before he was like "he must've done something! We now can kill her!" and then, there is the fact the scepter itself is left laying down on the ground and no one thinks to pick it up.
Thanks for the review, I hope to formulate a better response soon. This particular point I can address though: Haldrad opposed Nemesis, but wasn't all in with the Khthon either. The sceptre was ruined, picking it up would do nothing. I think Haldrad's stance is understandable and carries through in the Epilogue, so no changes planned. But it's hard to get outside my own head on this, so still good to hear other's thoughts.

As for the backwardness of the branches, that was intentional. ;)
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

doofus-01 wrote: October 27th, 2019, 3:53 am I think Haldrad's stance is understandable and carries through in the Epilogue, so no changes planned.
Which epilogue? ;)
mw121

Post by mw121 »

Hi

I have problems with scenario "Bitter truth", because I don't really know what are win conditions. I took 2 items from chests, but it didn't trigger nothing and standing on platforms doesn't seem working as well. The gates at north are locked and I am out of ideas. I tried to avoid mechanical dragon, bu he is stubborn, and I suppose fighting with him is pointless due his regeneration abilities.

Edit:

Nevermind, I figured that Keldan personally needs to get to the gate. Previous text when I get there with other unit was just confusing.
Last edited by mw121 on October 30th, 2019, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan-Idaho

Post by Duncan-Idaho »

doofus-01 wrote: October 27th, 2019, 3:53 am
Thanks for the review, I hope to formulate a better response soon. This particular point I can address though: Haldrad opposed Nemesis, but wasn't all in with the Khthon either. The sceptre was ruined, picking it up would do nothing. I think Haldrad's stance is understandable and carries through in the Epilogue, so no changes planned. But it's hard to get outside my own head on this, so still good to hear other's thoughts.
I think there needs to be a bit more dialogue saying the scepter is ruined.

But here is a question, why can't Harald kill Nemesis after Dardus sacrifices himself and in turn not let himself be possessed by the Khton?