The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

EarthCake

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign now for 1.14 - [Feedback and development]

Post by EarthCake »

(FoV6)
I knew you'd me in... -> I knew you'd be in...
... top of my guards... thus my loyal servant... - Does it make sense that one is singular and the second is plural?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

EarthCake wrote: August 13th, 2019, 12:36 am (FoV6)
I knew you'd me in... -> I knew you'd be in...
... top of my guards... thus my loyal servant... - Does it make sense that one is singular and the second is plural?
Right, that should be "servants" :)
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Poison

Post by Poison »

Hi, I'm currently playing Vrahim's catacombs, hopefully it's not one of those randomly generated maps :( I'm stuck in the initial place not knowing where to go. I've searched for a torch or pickaxe that might help but nothing. Attaching savefile:
Attachments
TRS-(FoV 5) Vrahim's Catacombs-Auto-Save24.gz
(422.56 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Poison wrote: August 15th, 2019, 3:15 pm Hi, I'm currently playing Vrahim's catacombs, hopefully it's not one of those randomly generated maps :( I'm stuck in the initial place not knowing where to go. I've searched for a torch or pickaxe that might help but nothing. Attaching savefile:
No, it's not randomly generated :) Perhaps you are missing that you can not only look through the bridges, but also move under them?
If you hover the mouse over your units next to the bridge, you can see that the hexes on the other side are also highlighted. It just regulard movement: select your unit and click onto the highlighted hexes, on the other side of the bridge. Note that you can't climb onto the bridge, nor can units climb down from the bridge (unless they fly).
If you hover the mouse over your units next to the bridge, you can see that the hexes on the other side are also highlighted. It just regulard movement: select your unit and click onto the highlighted hexes, on the other side of the bridge. Note that you can't climb onto the bridge, nor can units climb down from the bridge (unless they fly).
Also, there are two possible solutions to the maze, one of them could be really irritating to beat on harder difficulties, the other is easier:
Solutions:
Hope this helps :)
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Spoiler:
Also, in scenario Vrahim's Catacombs I wasn't able to undo my movement.
What do you mean by free XP? Are they that easy to beat? :lol:
Especially when they suicide, like Fire Dragon I killed.

Maggoth is renamable.

EDIT: When I use Trainkill on Dayton, and he hits a vital attack on last strike, he kills the unit. Is this intended?

EDIT 2: When I take the slowing ring in (10) with some unit, on the beginning of the next turn this unit doesn't have slowing effect. However, if I reload the same turn, it has.

EDIT 3: Elvyndiel at level 3 has the Trainkill ability, although she isn't at maximum level.

EDIT 4: Trainkill also works against enemies with berserk, which leads into sure death of unit with Trainkill turned on.

EDIT 5: (11) Rain effect says -15% lighting. During dawn it is 0/0/0/0/0/0, while during day it is +15 for lawful and -15 for chaotic, while I think it should be +10/-10 according to the description.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

EarthCake wrote: August 20th, 2019, 9:04 pm
Spoiler:
Also, in scenario Vrahim's Catacombs I wasn't able to undo my movement.
Yeah, that leader selection also helps a lot there. I've fixed the undo, sorry for that.

EarthCake wrote: August 20th, 2019, 9:04 pm Maggoth is renamable.

EDIT: When I use Trainkill on Dayton, and he hits a vital attack on last strike, he kills the unit. Is this intended?
EDIT 4: Trainkill also works against enemies with berserk, which leads into sure death of unit with Trainkill turned on.
No, eagle eye should not kill a unit if trainkill is on, and units should fight to the death when they are attacked by an enemy with berserk, I fixed these. However, if the trainkill unit is attacking a berserk enemy, that is mismanagement by the player.
EDIT 3: Elvyndiel at level 3 has the Trainkill ability, although she isn't at maximum level.
I might have forgotten to get back to you on this, I remember a previous suggestion, that trainkill should be available at level 2, if the unit is at maximum level. Currently maximum level is not an aspect in trainkill, the only restriction is to be level 3 or higher, and I intend to keep this. The point of trainkill is not to keep max level units from getting kill XP. (That is why there is the extended AMLA system in the game that can get you single units to the power of a Man'o'War.) The point of trainkill is situational, so that if there's a big chunk of XP, like an epic enemy, you can deal massive damage to it, without having to worry about accidentally killing it. Level 2 units don't fit this reasoning, therefore they don't get trainkill, but they can still get very powerful with AMLA, so the XP is still not wasted on them. Units with lvl 4+ advancement are fit for trainkill at level 3, because reaching very high levels is harder than quickly advancing up low level units. You are not obliged to turn on trainkill for a level 3 Elvyndiel, but you can, if the situation demands it. It might be a good idea to remove units that are not yet at their max level from the Manage All option though, or add a toggle switch for it...
EDIT 2: When I take the slowing ring in (10) with some unit, on the beginning of the next turn this unit doesn't have slowing effect. However, if I reload the same turn, it has.
Hmm, I see that too, but right now I have no idea why that happens.

EDIT
EDIT 5: (11) Rain effect says -15% lighting. During dawn it is 0/0/0/0/0/0, while during day it is +15 for lawful and -15 for chaotic, while I think it should be +10/-10 according to the description.
I missed your edit while I wrote the post. Yes, the description is badly put, and the actual effect was also wrong: -25% during night, 0% dawn and dusk, 10% (-15% compared to the regular 25%, this is what the original description was trying to say) at day is the correct schedule, and I've rewritten the tutorial message.
Last edited by WhiteWolf on August 21st, 2019, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

(11) Final citating after defeating Narduum: now -> know

(12) Marker on map says that it is not battle.
For this scenario I had 544 gold. That makes it pretty much imbalanced. I guess it is a big gold carryover from previous scenario.

EDIT:
No, eagle eye should not kill a unit if trainkill is on...
Not eagle eye, but vital hit.

In many scenarios there is no predefined amount of gold carryover in scenario objectives, and in some scenarios gold carryover is 80%. Is this intended?

Inn (5) aviod -> avoid
neccessary -> necessary
trechorous -> treacherous

(13) choosing the orc as bonus unit:
showed up. happened to -> showed up, happened to... ( . -> , )
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

EarthCake wrote: August 21st, 2019, 12:28 pm (12) Marker on map says that it is not battle.
It does, but only after showing the Rest symbol at Dorest first, which flashes for a while, just as a battle. It is indeed stupid though to have the dialogue first, then show the journey that actually led to Dorest. I tweaked the order to first have the summary of the previous scenario, then show journey to Dorest, then the dialogue with the earl, and then show the journey to the battle.
EarthCake wrote: For this scenario I had 544 gold. That makes it pretty much imbalanced. I guess it is a big gold carryover from previous scenario.
In addition with pickupable gold and the excess turns on map 10, the early finish bonus is huge. I'm trimming that down to 20% (from the former 30%).
EarthCake wrote:
Isn't it the same? :D Eagle eye is the weapon special's name, vital hit is the floating text above the hit enemy.
EarthCake wrote: In many scenarios there is no predefined amount of gold carryover in scenario objectives, and in some scenarios gold carryover is 80%. Is this intended?
80% is Wesnoth's default, so unless stated otherwise in the objectives, the carryover is 80%.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

WhiteWolf wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 12:44 pm
EarthCake wrote:
Isn't it the same? :D Eagle eye is the weapon special's name, vital hit is the floating text above the hit enemy.
:D Anyway, it doesn't work properly. Eagle eye / vital hit even with Trainkill kill units if vital hit happens.

(15) Standing on 7,11: ceratin -> certain
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I know, it'll be fine in the next version :)
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

(16) brake -> break
Why is in this scenario showing underground if I hover to see bonus for chaotic units? Or at any way scroll on right side of screen, off from any unit.

There is something wrong with unit dimensions.
Unit_icon.png
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

So that's how this map looks like. I never got to see it in 1.14. It looks cool.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Konrad2 wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 10:50 pm So that's how this map looks like. I never got to see it in 1.14. It looks cool.
I just watched your replay, and I wonder; how did you succeed to play the scenario?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

EarthCake wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 10:31 pm Why is in this scenario showing underground if I hover to see bonus for chaotic units? Or at any way scroll on right side of screen, off from any unit.
That's a known issue with time area's and I thought I fixed all of them, apparently this one remained. I'll fix it now, then. And the jouster's icon as well.
EarthCake wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 12:23 am
Konrad2 wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 10:50 pm So that's how this map looks like. I never got to see it in 1.14. It looks cool.
I just watched your replay, and I wonder; how did you succeed to play the scenario?
Well, I can comment that while the whole map being faded to black, without ever fading in, is certainly an obstacle, half of the enemy troops did not spawn :D Cormac was on quite the suicide mission. :lol:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 9:21 am
EarthCake wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 12:23 am
Well, I can comment that while the whole map being faded to black, without ever fading in, is certainly an obstacle, half of the enemy troops did not spawn :D Cormac was on quite the suicide mission. :lol:
You can also hover over hexes to see what it is supposed to be and hovering over enemey units still tells you how far they can move.