Is there any way to get gud without suffering a hundred defeats?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

EXALT

Is there any way to get gud without suffering a hundred defeats?

Post by EXALT »

I know the question is kinda stupid as the most straightforward path is absoluty play and lose a lot, but I'm a bit sick on it already (plus sometimes the 1v1s drag on for stupidly long periods with both sides just tidal waving each other over day and night cycles) so is there any sorta way to get gud besides that?
CrossBreed

Re: Is there any way to get gud without suffering a hundred defeats?

Post by CrossBreed »

One thing that certainly helps is watching replays of good players. You can find a lot of those on the ladder website.
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

Hi EXALT,

I strongly recommend watching YouTube game analyses by a top player, neki: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApRnW ... khtN0NrJrw
Also, there are some analyses by Hardwood and Malcolm Rose, for example this one https://youtu.be/JJ4yXkd7NnI - though these tend to be pretty lengthy and the players are not as good as neki.

Clearly, losing can be painful. Still, you can learn a lot from your own mistakes. After each game, watch the replay and think what you could have done better, where were your mistakes. Do not be afraid to ask your opponent about it, especially if you are playing somebody more experienced than you.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
EXALT

Post by EXALT »

thx for the info guys
sergey

Post by sergey »

EXALT wrote: August 18th, 2019, 6:02 am is there any sorta way to get gud besides that?
Read https://wiki.wesnoth.org/How_to_play... as well. Generally it is up to date (I recently updated it to prefer Skeleton Archers instead of Dark Adepts as Undead vs Loyalists)

P.S. You could also play with AI which is much stronger than default viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43048 See information under the "How to use Fred" in the first post.

P.P.S. Losing a lot is indeed frustrating. You may try discord viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45019 to arrange games with players that have level of skills close to yours.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.