Top Best UMC campaigns

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

y2kid

Top Best UMC campaigns

Post by y2kid »

Hi,

Decided to throw a list of my 5 most favorite UMC campaigns and thought that maybe others might wanna do the same in this thread.

Ok here's my list (not necessarily in any order of preference)
  • To Lands Unknown
  • Ashen Hearts
  • Genesis
  • Return from the Abyss
  • Danse Macabre
There were some other notable mentions but I thought these were the best of the best. What do you think? What are your top 5 campaigns?

P.S.
I really wish there were more dwarf and undead campaigns :/

Edit:

I should probably say that I was thinking of Wesnoth 1.14 when posting this
Last edited by y2kid on July 28th, 2019, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major_Swampy

Re: Top Best UMC campaigns

Post by Major_Swampy »

Are you sure about Genesis' campaign are best UMC campaigns? That campaign has only part 1 and incomplete. I hope that nemara can maintaining until complete all parts that campaign soon.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
y2kid

Post by y2kid »

True, Genesis is not as complete as I'd like it to be, but still what's there is pretty good imo. Anyway, the point of my thread was more to share our favorite campaigns, rather than defending these choices :/. I will say it now and probably will not do again, but the lists are obviously very strongly opinionated and differ from person to person and that is the best side of it ^^.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Bad Moon Rising is one of my favourites, I keep returning to it every now and then.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

Haven't played UMC that much, but I liked

The Founding of Borstep
Swamplings
Roar of the Woses
Cities of the Frontier
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

My opinions are based on experiences that aren't all that recent. I haven't played the recent UMC campaigns, so my omission of them is not judgment.
  • Sky-One's campaigns were pretty good, if you were looking for an extension of mainline. The writing could use some work, but it's a one-man operation and English wasn't his first language, so don't criticize - let's see you write a campaign in Japanese.
  • Saving Elensefar - Another good extension of mainline world, an early version of the "world map" concept applied to Wesnoth. Ship battles!
  • There was some unfinished, 1950's-style post-nuclear-apocalypse campaign with zombie cars and mutant trolls... The artwork was not great, but the story was off the beaten path and it showed some of the flexibility of Wesnoth. I'll edit this if I find the campaign name later, I think it was BfW 1.0 or 1.2.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Byron

Post by Byron »

I only play the Novice Campaigns, & I like the ones with humor in them:

Swamplings
Ghostly Calls
Case of the Missing Sceptre
Besieged Druids

Though I also like the straight up Drums of War.
AngelFace

Post by AngelFace »

My personal favorite is probably Return from the Abyss. It has a very good mix of challenging difficulty and interesting story.

The other four would be Bad Moon Rising, To Lands Unknown, Danse Macabre and... After the Storm
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

P.S.
I really wish there were more dwarf and undead campaigns :/
As a random side note: I once tried to design a dwarf campaign. I discovered in very short order why people who make dwarf campaigns tend to create custom dwarf units and advancements, it's because with the exception of the gryphon and the ulfserker, the core dwarf units are simply too similar in how they play and all level into better versions of themselves that don't fill any different a role. The odd ones out, the gryphons and ulfserkers don't even go to level 3. In a way I found this to be very interesting as playing dwarves gives you a massive set of limitations to play around that you don't have with most factions but with such a potent and good feeling payoff but you kind of run into an issue where ultimately you kind of have to solve problems in a very similar fashion unless I can keep coming up with brilliant ideas for how to shake things up.

In the end, although I could find ways to make it challenging and interesting for a few levels, I found myself simply running out of ideas and was never satisfied with it so I never published it. Even adding the typical alternate dwarves didn't really fix the issue (though the line with the magic hammers helped a little). I considered trying to invent my own dwarf units to help spruce things up but I don't really have much in the way of art skills (I had to borrow those) and I wasn't sure what these units would be anyway. When both the charm and the issue are the same thing (the contrast of dwarves limitations and their strength when playing to their strength) it's kind of hard to figure out which limitations are worth poking holes in. I didn't want to add healers, I didn't want to give them units that were extremely effective on more types of terrain, and I didn't want to add new ways for them to attack (ulfserkers in a campaign setting were a difficult issue to balance). An option for a bit more maneuverability would have been perfect but the problem was that the unit I wanted was basically the footpad except not the footpad (and ideally not a human unit).

Looking back on it, I think an idea which might have helped me design levels would actually have been to introduce dwarf units with different alignments to add a wrinkle into the difficulty of getting your slow dwarves to engage at the right time and place. This might have opened up a few more options for non-attrician based tactics while still requiring the player to respect the places where dwarves are weak.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Maybe you can try to implement duergars (black dwarves). They are chaotic. They could hide in mushrooms and cave hills.They could use axes, hammers, short bows, crossbows and maces. You can easily find more intel by looking for duergar d&d in google I think.
y2kid

Post by y2kid »

Hmm, going a lot off topic, but have you perhaps considered creating a thread where people can submit dwarf unit ideas?
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I can not remember the abbreviations or names for campaigns.

I think my favourite ones are still the two arabian nights - first the one with the flying carpet unit; but the other one where you have hero units is pretty cool too ... there are also djinni in that one.

There is also some epic-long one with about 200 scenarios? Or something like that. It is quite nice, but the storyline is ... well. A bit ludicrous.

Another campaign I found interesting was the one with a world map where other units were patrolling and ambushing your stack of units. That was interesting.

Most RPG variants I don't like mostly due to interface issues; and too much verbosity.

I dislike cave-scenarios usually ... I really hate caves in general, but not all cave scenarios are necessarily bad.

I think the best feature are hero-special abilities and perhaps even skill trees for combination.

I also like campaigns where units in general have several different attack types; gives flexibility.

But if I have to pick the single best campaign then it is the one with the arabian nights thingy carpets and summoning circles.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

shevegen wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:17 pmI think my favourite ones are still the two arabian nights - first the one with the flying carpet unit; but the other one where you have hero units is pretty cool too ... there are also djinni in that one.

There is also some epic-long one with about 200 scenarios? Or something like that. It is quite nice, but the storyline is ... well. A bit ludicrous.

Another campaign I found interesting was the one with a world map where other units were patrolling and ambushing your stack of units. That was interesting.
That sounds like To Lands Unknown (TLU), Oath of Allegiance (OoA), and Legends of the Invincibles (LotI). No idea what the fourth campaign is.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Whiskeyjack wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:24 pm
shevegen wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:17 pmI think my favourite ones are still the two arabian nights - first the one with the flying carpet unit; but the other one where you have hero units is pretty cool too ... there are also djinni in that one.

That sounds like To Lands Unknown (TLU), Oath of Allegiance (OoA), and Legends of the Invincibles (LotI). No idea what the fourth campaign is.
The fourth campaign is probably Bad Moon Rising.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Favorite UMC's
- Invasion from the Unknown
- Oath of Allegiance
- The Ravagers
- A New Order

I also liked
- Soldier of Wesnoth
- Genesis
But had issues with them. The former had plot points that didn't sit right with me personally, and the second had a somewhat frustrating gameplay.