Trait Suggestions

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
The_Gnat

Re: Trait Suggestions

Post by The_Gnat »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 19th, 2019, 3:50 pm Shouldn't this be +1XP per turn? Like the word creative means that the unit is sort of intelligent or can think out of the box. Saying it since my English teacher used to say that I am a creative kid when it comes to writing stories.
That is actually a really good idea! :D What about +1HP and +1XP per turn. But max HP is reduced (potentially 10%) or instead melee damage could be reduced by 1.
attuned(for mage-like units)
This implies that the unit is more skilled in magic usage, so, +1 damage to whatever attack has the magical/enchanted/precision special and also +10% arcane resistance. However, a penalty of -10% HP will be imposed as such higher mental strength has left them sort of lacking endurance.
Summary = +1 damage to all magical attacks, +10% arcane resistance, -10% HP.
That is another great idea. 8)

Though potentially it could be used for all units (instead of just mage units) because of the idea that 'the gift' is in everyone even if they have not trained to use it. Of course if the unit has no magical attacks they could instead receive an XP bonus to balance it?
fireheart
+20% to fire damage but -10% resistance to cold.

frostheart
+20% to cold damage but -10% resistance to fire.
More really good ideas! :D Like I said though, having too many traits might be annoying because you could not get the good ones, I would definitely be interested in a campaign that lets you choose your units traits. But I would love to have a knight with the fireheart trait or an assassin with frostheart! Very nice idea!
SnipeSmash

Post by SnipeSmash »

I think a 'Flying' Trait should be added into the game:

Flying
Cannot be targeted by non-flying enemy melee unless defending.

I find it weird that a knight can potentially charge against a bat and kill it as though it was on the ground bracing. So units with flying cannot be targeted by melee attacks unless the enemy is defending itself,in which case the exchange of attacks can begin as normal.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Flying sounds like a good idea. It needs to be done as an add-on for testing. I expect the Bat units would needs a bit of adjustment to compensate for their becoming invulnerable to melee attack, and to be sure that all counter-attacks use ranged weapons.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

What other units might Flying be applied to, other than the bats? Units like gryphons and some of the drakes fly, but are on the ground in their sprites.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

All units able to walk on unwalkable like chasms ? Or do we consider that most only hoover a few centimeters over the ground ?
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

lhybrideur wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 1:10 pm All units able to walk on unwalkable like chasms ? Or do we consider that most only hoover a few centimeters over the ground ?
That would include units like the ghost, which like you say hover above the ground moreso than they fly.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
SnipeSmash

Post by SnipeSmash »

The Flying trait can apply to add on units and factions too. I hate that my war balloons and wooden birds can be cut down by skeletons and cataphracts.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

There is already a "Proper Flying Mod" for 1.14: https://r.wesnoth.org/t45128
SnipeSmash

Post by SnipeSmash »

I'm talking about base game, so that modders and their respective mods would update to include this to their fliers as well.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I don't think anything gets added to the game purely so that modders can use it. After all, there's nothing stopping modders from including the "Proper Flying Mod" in all of their own content.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Get enough people to use the flying mod. Start a forum discussion about how it improves the mainline campaigns and multi-player games, get feedback from other players, and improve the mod based upon that feedback. Then get a team member who is willing to squire it into mainline. Note that such changes generally require a full-version tick (i.e., 1.15) and usually cannot be added into a stable release (ie., 1.14.x).

The SP mainline work is fairly straightforward. The main feedback you're looking for there is how it effects balance, what units need which changes to adapt.

The MP mainline, however, is a bit more because you're also concerned about OOS errors. You might be able to show your change won't cause any. But, usually, it takes a lot of game play with a lot of people to gain the confidence that no OOS errors arise as a result of your change.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
SnipeSmash

Post by SnipeSmash »

Tad_Carlucci wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 11:36 am Flying sounds like a good idea. It needs to be done as an add-on for testing. I expect the Bat units would needs a bit of adjustment to compensate for their becoming invulnerable to melee attack, and to be sure that all counter-attacks use ranged weapons.
A unit like the bat would need to swoop down into melee range in order to bite someone. So melee counter attacks would be possible.

However, if we are talking about things like war balloons or copters which use guns, or flying carpet riders who throw bombs, then ranged attacks would be the only counter.