Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PastaSaucey

Re: Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Post by PastaSaucey »

First of all, man I just wanted to say "great job!" because this is a killer campaign. I'm only half-way through it and it is already my second favorite :D. I think so far you are unmatched in terms of creative objectives.

As far as I know, no where else can I close badguy-spewing portals, chase a gorgon across a palace, sabotage catapults, and trade with the merchants of the City of Gold (see? I actually read the dialogue :P).

And even the artistic quality of each map is second only to To Lands Unknown in my opinion. And that is by no means diminishing your skill. But actually, OoA reminds me of TLU in some ways (the music being one of them. Did you two decide to share the camel soup track? Pls let me know).

I have so many questions to ask you, some of which I asked inferno8 as well. Like, for example, is there a sequel coming? I sure hope so. the ending left me hanging …

Anyway, a few minor tweaks to the dialogue might be nice. For example, when Uthain talks to his bear Petz, the bear squeaks in response. I'm no animal behavior expert, but I'm pretty sure bears don't squeak …

Also, After you win the scenario where you close those red portals, ibn Ghani calls for his men to "Summon his mighty steed." The problem was, I had leveled Ghani up so that he already had his (ugly) steed, mainly because he was so weak (another question: was that intentional?).
So you can imagine I was thinking, "oooh, what's he gonna get next? A dragon?" And to see no changes was a bit dissatisfying to me. So maybe he can say that only if he is still on foot?

But overall, great job. And, if you got to this point, thank you for suffering through my disjointed paragraphs that were peppered with pop up quizzes :lol:. Oh, and thanks for fixing the portrait of the gorgon. It was definitely more … disturbing in the past

Oh, one more question: Is there something between Ilriel and Ilaroth? They seem a bit ... close. Sorry, I'm a bit of a romantic :oops:

Anyway, peace and if you want to know more about me, click the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32268&p=632794#p632794
Think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks! That's nice to hear!

The Camel Soup track is by West afaik, and had been uploaded in a music package some time ago. I made a sequel but did not manage to finish it and gave up eventually. And unfortunately I am not much interested in updating or maintaining the campaign any longer, so I just hope that it'll survive the next greater updates of BfW.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of the campaign!
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Great campaign. I have a fuller report I'll post in a couple days, but:
Spoiler:
(I know you're not interested in maintaining it, but if you or anybody else picks it up in the future they'd better know)
Planking

Post by Planking »

Omg love the campaign!! Just wondering if you were planning on doing a Oath of Allegiance 2, including the same main characters?
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Planking wrote: October 31st, 2018, 6:25 am Omg love the campaign!! Just wondering if you were planning on doing a Oath of Allegiance 2, including the same main characters?
Well…
Kwandulin wrote: September 8th, 2018, 6:22 pmI made a sequel but did not manage to finish it and gave up eventually. And unfortunately I am not much interested in updating or maintaining the campaign any longer, so I just hope that it'll survive the next greater updates of BfW.
At best you might hope that somebody else makes a sequel campaign, officially based on any information Kwandulin chooses to yield, if ever, or as a specifically unofficial/unauthorised version.
realmruler

Post by realmruler »

At what point does the Bloodmaiden Balariel join the party? When I use ilriel / any other unit on the 8, 34 square next to her, the cage disappears but the dialogue doesn't pop up and she doesn't come under my control...

Wesnoth Version 1.14.5

{HRS_TALK 8 35 () (
is this line suppose to be correct?
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Kwandulin wrote: January 1st, 2015, 10:11 am -> If ilriel moves to the hex “8 34”, a loyal unit will join the player’s side (Elvish bloodmaiden);
Just wanted to call in and let you know that this doesn't work for some reason. Her cage disappears, but she doesn't join me.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, after having played through the campaign, i am left with wondering about one thing: on a scale of TLU to IftU, just how "canonical" is this campaign considered to be?
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Seriously, read the last post by Kwandulin in this thread (8 Sep. 2018).
Gorumph

Post by Gorumph »

Hi!
Nice campaign. I just finish it.
Some glitches I noticed :
The "side by side" feature seemed to be broken, doesn't do anything, and absolutely not matches the description.
When you petrify a leader, he continues to recruit. And petrified enemies can't be destroyed....
In the scenario where you have to deliver Aul'a, you can't beat it if you don't do metagames.

Peril : as the fight was going well, I chose to kill all enemies. Ended up the scenario but didn't get the Dwarf. Nonetheless, time to time in the dialogs, references to him were made.
And on the last scenario, when the heroes emerged from the sphere, I got an error msg about a var missing and it triggers a "no available objectives" condition of victory panel, despite this, when I killed the Three kings, the scenario ended as planed.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I'll be blunt. Petrify is a terrible mechanic. Why people insist on putting it into campaigns, I'll never know.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

In case someone wants to fix stuff, I have given the Rider AMLA to Nuvdael multiple times. It goes away at the start of the next scenario.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Bearing in mind that…
Kwandulin wrote: September 8th, 2018, 6:22 pm Thanks! That's nice to hear!

The Camel Soup track is by West afaik, and had been uploaded in a music package some time ago. I made a sequel but did not manage to finish it and gave up eventually. And unfortunately I am not much interested in updating or maintaining the campaign any longer, so I just hope that it'll survive the next greater updates of BfW.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of the campaign!
white_haired_uncle wrote: April 21st, 2019, 2:38 am In case someone wants to fix stuff, I have given the Rider AMLA to Nuvdael multiple times. It goes away at the start of the next scenario.
I hope that gets fixed, too, but don't hold much hope.
BTIsaac wrote: February 11th, 2019, 10:39 am I'll be blunt. Petrify is a terrible mechanic. Why people insist on putting it into campaigns, I'll never know.
That depends on how it's used. E.g. early versions of campaigns contain allegedly valuable AI-controlled dwarvish allies who are given an endless plain on which to take hits, and so on. Petrify can be plot-relevant and a danged nuisance if it's a temporary petrify as in FoaP.

And you can just trust fate to give you the one player who manages an improbable strategy for beating your scenarios. In my experience, if one is supposed to learn from defeats, I've learned almost as much from modding videogames as from university.
AHoppe

Post by AHoppe »

Hi Kwandulin,

I wanted to play the campaign (version 1.16.33 on BfW 1.14.5) but I get the following error message:

Die folgende Erweiterung weist Fehler auf und konnte nicht geladen werden:
/home/andreas/.config/wesnoth-1.14/data/add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/_main.cfg

Bitte meldet dies an den Autor bzw. Betreuer dieser Erweiterung.

Details:

Macro/file '~add-ons/Heroes/macros/scenario-items.cfg' is missing
at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/_main.cfg:88

Greets

Andreas
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

AHoppe wrote: July 14th, 2019, 12:18 pm Hi Kwandulin,

I wanted to play the campaign (version 1.16.33 on BfW 1.14.5) but I get the following error message:

Die folgende Erweiterung weist Fehler auf und konnte nicht geladen werden:
/home/andreas/.config/wesnoth-1.14/data/add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/_main.cfg

Bitte meldet dies an den Autor bzw. Betreuer dieser Erweiterung.

Details:

Macro/file '~add-ons/Heroes/macros/scenario-items.cfg' is missing
at ~add-ons/Oath_of_Allegiance/_main.cfg:88

Greets

Andreas
Have you installed campaign's dependencies? Maybe the author still haven't checking this forum too long.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)