wesnothd server for 1.14.x

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tkocou

wesnothd server for 1.14.x

Post by tkocou »

The download pages for Linux are fine for getting the latest version of Wesnoth. However, there does not appear to be any information on the server program, wesnothd. Has that program been depreciated?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: wesnothd server for 1.14.x

Post by Pentarctagon »

No, wesnothd is still in use. You can view the man page on it from your own PC if you're on linux, or otherwise you can see it online here.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
tkocou

Post by tkocou »

Pentarctagon wrote: July 14th, 2019, 5:06 am No, wesnothd is still in use. You can view the man page on it from your own PC if you're on linux, or otherwise you can see it online here.
I used the developer ppa listed for Ubuntu and have the game itself now. However, the ppa doesn't appear to provide the wesnothd program. Will I have to compile it?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

If it isn't provided by the ppa, then yes. Alternatively, it looks like the Steam version does come with wesnothd.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

https://launchpad.net/~vincent-c/+archi ... /+packages If you mean that ppa then it does contain the wesnoth-1.14-server package.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
tkocou

Post by tkocou »

Soliton wrote: July 14th, 2019, 8:24 am https://launchpad.net/~vincent-c/+archi ... /+packages If you mean that ppa then it does contain the wesnoth-1.14-server package.
I believe that I used the alternative ppa. Not a problem as your link was the one which provided the server. Thank you. The wesnoth_1.14.5-1~ppa1~bionic1_all.deb file also fixed another problem. Using the other ppa caused the version 1.14.x to not show up in the synapic package manager list. After installing the file, all is good now.
tkocou

Post by tkocou »

Because I am using Linux Mint and not pure Ubuntu.
nyov

Post by nyov »

tkocou wrote: July 15th, 2019, 9:16 am Because I am using Linux Mint and not pure Ubuntu.
Not a good answer.

Installing a version from an Ubuntu PPA (Personal Package Archive), instead of the official team-maintained and distribution-managed Ubuntu build, "because you are on Mint", is just not a valid reason.
But I see this PPA linked by Soliton is from the Debian/Ubuntu Games Team and I think I get what you're saying. Your Mint is based on an older Ubuntu that doesn't ship 1.14, so these builds are basically for you what I would get from debian backports.
That reason is acceptable. :D
tkocou

Post by tkocou »

nyov wrote: July 15th, 2019, 5:43 pm
tkocou wrote: July 15th, 2019, 9:16 am Because I am using Linux Mint and not pure Ubuntu.
Not a good answer.

Installing a version from an Ubuntu PPA (Personal Package Archive), instead of the official team-maintained and distribution-managed Ubuntu build, "because you are on Mint", is just not a valid reason.
But I see this PPA linked by Soliton is from the Debian/Ubuntu Games Team and I think I get what you're saying. Your Mint is based on an older Ubuntu that doesn't ship 1.14, so these builds are basically for you what I would get from debian backports.
That reason is acceptable. :D
I won't nitpick the issue. Using the Ubuntu backports on Linux Mint did not yield the desired version 1.14.x of Wesnoth. So I had to resort to a ppa If you view my answer based on the points you made in your answer, it makes perfect sense to use a ppa.