Voiceover for An Orcish Incursion Development thread

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ghype

Re: Voiceover for An Orcish Incursion Development thread

Post by ghype »

Is there a database somewhere with those replays?
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

max_torch wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 11:01 am It's showing Ka’lian but it's actually supposed to be Ka'lian. The reason the " ' " was copied as " ’ " is because that's how the characterlooks like when you copy the text from the scenario cfg file. There are other characters that are miscopied this way. I don't know the specific reason why but some people in the forum might.
The word is Ka’lian, with a Unicode quote mark (it's not the ordinary ASCII apostrophe). The reason you get ’ is because the bytes representing in utf8 are the same as the bytes representing ’ in windows-1255. What probably happened is that somebody opened the cfg file in an editor that had assumed the file was encoded in windows-1255. You can avoid this by telling your editor to treat the cfg file as a utf8 file.
ghype wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 11:25 am Is there a database somewhere with those replays?
https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewforum.php?f=41
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi everyone how is everything going! Just though to see if anyone working on this project had any thoughts about continuing or what was happening :)

I totally understand you are all probably really busy. No pressure if that is the case.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

I found an affordable condenser microphone at a local store that I want to buy and try for voiceover recording, but the cable looks like this:
cable.jpg
My laptop has a headset jack and a microphone jack and I/O USB ports:
jacks.jpg
What is the most practical way to connect this to my laptop or smart phone for saving voice recording files? What kind of jack/converter should I buy?
ghype

Post by ghype »

you need a soundcard also known as audio interface. There are affordable ones as well, but you might as go for a second hand one if you really want to use this just for the audio recordings.

If you want to go first hand, this is the most affordable one I found. With Behringer being well established in the Recording Industry since a very long time and Thomann being the best known provider of audio gear, this choice should do the purpose.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi Everyone! I think I am going to release this as it currently is later this week! Hopefully we are able to get the rest of the audio recorded and then we can add it in an update but until then we might as well do something with our current work. :)
theuncertainman

Post by theuncertainman »

Woo! Looking forward to it!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Its been uploaded now! It obviously isn't done in some places but overall it is really fun to have the voices! :D
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

I played this and the voices did add a certain memorability to the game and characters. Initial impressions:
- It was a bit irksome at first to hear different accents from units of the same race on the same side, but also it is nice to really feel the diversity of contributors.
- Some of the words sounded clipped like they had been time-compressed or truncated.
- Some sounded like computer-generated text-to-speech because of the inflection.
- Most of the speech felt unnaturally slow with the text there in front of me. I wonder how it would feel if the voice actors took artistic liberties with the words and i could turn off the visual text?

Thanks for releasing this work in progress! I love sound effects and voices in the game so i hope my post was encouraging not annoying.
theuncertainman

tr0ll wrote: June 13th, 2019, 10:45 pm I played this and the voices did add a certain memorability to the game and characters. Initial impressions:
- It was a bit irksome at first to hear different accents from units of the same race on the same side, but also it is nice to really feel the diversity of contributors.
- Some of the words sounded clipped like they had been time-compressed or truncated.
- Some sounded like computer-generated text-to-speech because of the inflection.
- Most of the speech felt unnaturally slow with the text there in front of me. I wonder how it would feel if the voice actors took artistic liberties with the words and i could turn off the visual text?

Thanks for releasing this work in progress! I love sound effects and voices in the game so i hope my post was encouraging not annoying.
Did you identify any issues with Erlornas at all?
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Hmm yes i should have been more specific.
No errors with Erlornas. He was haughty but never seemed to get excited, which was perhaps intentional. His was one of the voices i would have liked to speak faster or be able to turn off the onscreen text.
theuncertainman

Hmm I know what you mean. I probably could have become more fluent and fast with my lines. Maybe I should redo some of them
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

tr0ll wrote: June 13th, 2019, 10:45 pm I played this and the voices did add a certain memorability to the game and characters. Initial impressions:
Thank you tr0ll for the feedback!!! :)
Yes I can understand that, but unfortunately we can't be too picky currently because of the lack of actors for the voice :)
That's interesting, if you know what dialogue they were spoken on they can definitely be fixed!
Yes that is still WIP, a number of lines I generated with a voice generator just as a filler until we can replace them :)
That's an interesting idea! The main reason we recorded them at that speed is for clarity, but more natural speaking might be better.
No! We really appreciate your suggestions! Thank you!
theuncertainman wrote: June 16th, 2019, 4:33 pm Hmm I know what you mean. I probably could have become more fluent and fast with my lines. Maybe I should redo some of them
I personally think Erlornas is fantastic! But yes there is definitely always room for improvement! :D

Also if you have time to spend it would be awesome if you could perhaps voice one of the characters who is yet unfinished? :) (If you think it would be better not to that is completely fine :) )
theuncertainman

The_Gnat wrote: June 20th, 2019, 2:32 am I personally think Erlornas is fantastic! But yes there is definitely always room for improvement! :D

Also if you have time to spend it would be awesome if you could perhaps voice one of the characters who is yet unfinished? :) (If you think it would be better not to that is completely fine :) )
Thanks mate! Aren't you a darling! Haha
Yeah I think l'll redo some Erlornas lines in July and improve the speed and quality.

I'm happy to voice another character but this time I'll pick a minor one. Are there any that you think are suitable?

---

Also if you're looking for more voice actors, Voice Acting Club is a great place to find them.
RolfDhew

Post by RolfDhew »

The voice acting is very professional and fitting! Thank you to all the contributors!