How to translate a UMC / What is happened to WecCamp ?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Adamant14

How to translate a UMC / What is happened to WecCamp ?

Post by Adamant14 »

I got these PM:
How to translate ASoR?

Greetings Adamant14,

I am the current mainline Simplified Chinese translation maintainer, and one of our team members would like to translate the latest version of your campaign (ASoR). To be honest I am not familiar with the add-on translation process and wescamp seems defunct. Would you please tell us what we should do?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
And I have no idea about translating a UMC, all I know that there once was WesCamp, but WesCamp seems abandoned.

Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: How to translate a UMC / What is happened to WecCamp ?

Post by Pentarctagon »

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Obviously, you need some computer skills for that.
And Windows users may be a bit at a disadvantage from the outset, right?
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Of course, Windows doesn't have standard scripting language interpreters. Perhaps it's easier to install some distribution of GNU/Linux along with all software out of the box, then Windows versions of all stuff. Both ways are possible though.

Or as alternative you need to ask somebody who already have GNU/Linux to generate pot for you. But don't forget about translator notes (they are done in code with # style comments, starting with keywords. Though perhaps it's better to move messages to the other topic, since this one is duplicate?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I've just committed a big update to GettextForWesnothDevelopers, about how to translate UMC. I'm learning at the same time, trying out how it works.

Can you already get the wmllint and wmlindent tools to work? If so, you've already got enough to run wmlxgettext.

I'll post the .pot in the Antar development thread.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Wayirr wrote: May 18th, 2019, 1:31 am Of course, Windows doesn't have standard scripting language interpreters. Perhaps it's easier to install some distribution of GNU/Linux along with all software out of the box, then Windows versions of all stuff. Both ways are possible though.

Or as alternative you need to ask somebody who already have GNU/Linux to generate pot for you. But don't forget about translator notes (they are done in code with # style comments, starting with keywords. Though perhaps it's better to move messages to the other topic, since this one is duplicate?
WSL would probably be easier than dual booting, at least, for Windows 10.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Or cygwin, or VirtualBox, or a cheap cloud server...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Adamant14 wrote: May 17th, 2019, 5:10 pm Obviously, you need some computer skills for that.
And Windows users may be a bit at a disadvantage from the outset, right?
The tool to generate translation catalogue templates, wmlxgettext, comes with Wesnoth (if I remember correctly) or can be downloaded from GitHub. It only requires Python, which can be installed on Windows. It shouldn’t be that difficult after that other than requiring you (the add-on maintainer) to stare at and interact with a scary black-and-white text console window for a few minutes. It’s certainly easier when put that way than having to install and interact with a whole new OS in any fashion whatsoever like everyone else is suggesting (yes, what I’m saying also applies to WSL in case someone intends to bring that up again).

And finally, there’s graphical interfaces for interacting with the translations themselves that run on Windows, such as Poedit. These days Wesnoth doesn’t even require catalogues to be compiled into .mo files for shipping.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Thanks for all the input. Tomorrow I have a little more time, then I will download python and will have a look into it.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I have installed Python 3.7.3 and Poedit, and was able to translate a few lines of my campaign into German. It works, thank you.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

EarthCake wrote: May 19th, 2019, 5:02 pm Yes, it doesn't show me python at all.

And sorry, this is not the thread for my .pot problems, so please write in your thread for translation so I don't here... you know what.
Sorry, I have no idea how I can help you here.
All I can say that everything works fine for me, after I had Python 3.7.3 installed.