Dunefolk Rework - Unit Naming

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ghype

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Unit Naming & Descriptions

Post by ghype »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 7th, 2019, 4:21 pm Herbalist -> Apothecary -> Physician.
I like your approach a lot where the more (supposedly) wiser such a unit gets, the more technical and theoretical science it might have studied. Why not conclude all science into one and call the lv3 healer "Polymath". It's what Galileo Galilei or Leonardo Da Vinci were called as they too have mastered many sciences.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 7th, 2019, 4:21 pm For the naga, I don't have a clear picture of what the unit line looks like, and I didn't see it
For the mixed path, maybe we can wait until I finished some drafts for the sprites and then we could go on with naming them.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 7th, 2019, 4:21 pm If Ringcaster is L2, maybe Ringmaster for L3? Or is that too simplistic?
DF already has too many masters.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 7th, 2019, 4:21 pm For the record, while I still like the name Naffat, it seems silly to revert that unit to its original name now.
Just because it seems silly, doesn't mean it actually bad, does it?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I just mean, why did we bother having a poll to choose the new name if we were just gonna revert it six months later?

(And I don't think "polymath" works; if you wanted a name in a similar vein, I'd probably recommend "Sage" or maaaybe "Philosopher", but I still prefer "Physician" over either of those.)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
ghype

Post by ghype »

I collected all the suggestions and put them into a post so we can make now a clearer decision. The bold ones have to be chosen one of them.

Shieldbreaker:
  • Dune Skirmisher, Dune Strider, Dune Harrier
Leadership:
  • Dune Soldier, Dune Captain, Dune Lord / Dune General
Healer:
  • Dune Herbalist, Dune Apothecary, Dune Physician / Dune Sage
  • Dune Herbalist, Dune Alchemist
Naga:
  • Naga ... , Naga Ringcaster, Naga Deathwind / Naga Bladewind / Naga Ringmaster

As for the other melee oriented Naga, we will open the discussion as we have some sprites to comment on.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

For the naga, I'm not a fan of Deathwind. Bladewind sounds good, and Ringmaster does fit with the L2, though like you said there are probably too many -master units in dunefolk alread.

Oh, I also wanted to add (because someone else suggested it) that Thaumaturgist is not a good choice for the L3 herbalist, because it's nearly synonymous with "magician".
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

I'm for Dune Lord over Captain, Bladewind over others (Deathwind is too edgy in retrospect), and undecided on Physician/Sage (though both are good).
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 9th, 2019, 12:15 am For the naga, I'm not a fan of Deathwind. Bladewind sounds good, and Ringmaster does fit with the L2, though like you said there are probably too many -master units in dunefolk alread.
I agree, Bladewind and ringmaster both sound very good.

Other ideas for the lvl 3 herbalist could be:

Luminary, Ascendant, High Alchemist or Grand Alchemist or something more unique such as Medalion, Curer, Exalted, or Eminent.

I don't know what would sound best so any suggestions or comments would be welcome! :)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

If you're going in a lordly direction I'd prefer to see something more like Sultan or Emir rather than just Lord.

I don't like the two "xyz alchemist" names, not least because they won't actually be an advancement of the alchemist (assuming that name is given to the poisoner).

Luminary might be acceptable, I suppose - it has a similar connotation to sage or philosopher, I think. Exalted just doesn't sound right to me. Same with Eminent. Curer is too WYSIWYG. I don't even know what you mean to portray with Medallion.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 10th, 2019, 12:11 am I don't like the two "xyz alchemist" names, not least because they won't actually be an advancement of the alchemist (assuming that name is given to the poisoner).
They are more boring than the others. Also did I miss something :mrgreen: I thought the Herbalist > Poison OR Herbalist > Alchemist > LVL 3 , and we are trying to come up with names for the lvl 3. But I may just be confused.

Luminary might be acceptable, I suppose - it has a similar connotation to sage or philosopher, I think. Exalted just doesn't sound right to me. Same with Eminent. Curer is too WYSIWYG. I don't even know what you mean to portray with Medallion.
I agree. Luminary is the best of the ideas (albeit not perfect), though Sage could work as well. :)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I thought it was Herbalist > Apothecary > Lv3? And the poisoner is called Alchemist? But it's possible I'm the one mistaken.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

@Celtic -
ghype wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 11:36 am
  • According to your comments we adjusted the special/ability distribution on this unit line to avoid RIPLD violations. The current setup for the line looks like this.
    • Herbalist, heals+4 & regen+4
    • Apothecary, heals+8 & regen+4
    • Apothecary Lv3, heals+8 & regen+4 & cure
    • Alchemist, poison, regen+8
    Furthermore, "Self-Heal" no longer is called that way but "regenrates +4"
This is from ghype on the other thread. Yeah, it is easy to be confused. But considering this I believe "Dune Philosopher" could also work as a name. What do you think?
ghype

Post by ghype »

i dont know how any of this is of a great confusion. especially as the names for the unit we need are explain on the main post for this thread as well.

I really like the Luminary name, more then any other suggested so far. I will take that as a final proposal.

For the lv3 Captain, if we were to choose between Sultan and Emir, I wouldn't choose Sultan. Even if some Sultan's might be known for their fighting skills, a Sultan is most and forward leader in sense of social and religious structures, not warfare. It also has close to no visual resembles with what we usually would think of an Sultan. Hence I wouldn't go with Dune Lord either. He could be of a noble statue but his main role is tactical advisement in battles. Emir however fits the unit much better as it stands for commander or general of a noble statue. So I will take that as a final proposal.

I too like Bladewind more over Deathwing so i will take that as a final proposal.

This is how the current proposals would look like.

Shieldbreaker:
  • Dune Skirmisher, Dune Strider, Dune Harrier
Leadership:
  • Dune Soldier, Dune Captain, Dune Emir
Healer:
  • Dune Herbalist, Dune Apothecary, Dune Luminary
  • Dune Herbalist, Dune Alchemist
Naga:
  • Naga ... , Naga Ringcaster, Naga Bladewind
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Yeah, philosopher would fit but is maybe a bit long. Sage has the opposite problem – it's so short that it doesn't flow well. Luminary does seem to work well; even though it's the same number of syllables as philosopher, somehow it feels shorter. Maybe something to do with the placement of emphasis? I'm not sure.
ghype

Post by ghype »

It sounds shorter because of the "i" in "Luminary" being silent in most dialects, hence the two middle syllables are glued together.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

@ghype - yeah all those sound really good.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Is there really a dialect in which that "i" is absent? It's reduced to schwa, certainly, but definitely still there.