Dunefolk Rework - Unit Naming

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ghype

Dunefolk Rework - Unit Naming

Post by ghype »

Aside from all the updates coming regarding the balance/art, we also intend to expand the discussion for unit names and descriptions in dedicated section. For that we have to choose fitting names for new units. For those who are not aware, we are entirely reworking Dunefolk to make to fit better in mainline balance-wise but also visually. Here you can find all the information for this project if you are new to it.

Final Candidates

Dune Herbalist, Dune Apothecary, Dune Luminary
Dune Herbalist, Dune Alchemist

Dune Soldier, Dune Captain, Dune Emir

Dune Skirmisher, Dune Strider, Dune Harrier

Naga Stabber, Naga Slasher, Naga Executioner
Naga Stabber, Naga Ringcaster, Naga Bladewind

Naming
  • Burner:
    As mentioned in the thread, we initially thought that this name is too confusing as we have already a Drake Burner. However, the majority thought that it is still acceptable as a name so we were planning to not change the name. But aster checking the old poll for the naming of this specific unit, I found a quite fitting alternative Dune Naffat. This would not only emphasize the lore for them using petrol like liquid to do their burnings but would also work well together with the new Raider/Marauder who now wield a burning torch instead of a mace.
    Thoughts?

• Shield Breaker:
    Some mentioned that the name Shield Breaker would fid more a lv3 then a lv1 unit. Hence we are looking for new suggestions. Some suggested to move over Skirmisher & Harrier to this line. Others suggested to use also the Rover name for the lv1 but that name fits much better the current Rover line (even if it currently is no longer the fastest foot unit anymore).
    Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Skrimisher & Harrier:
    As this unit line now no longer skirmishes but uses leadership, the name are not fitting anymore. While discussing the threads a name popped up which seems quite fitting, the Dune Captain. This could however be too similar to the Elvish Captain/Marshal. Either way, what even name will be chosen, it should describe some sort of military position.
    Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Herbalist Line:
    This unit line received new advancements which needs proper naming too. They were described as a Poisoner and a lv3 Healer. For the Poisoner we think the most appropriate name would be Dune Alchemist but we are still missing a name for the lv3 Healer.
    Suggestions?

• Naga:
    The current Naga names Bligh, Butcher and Scourge might not be fitting anymore as they were initially used for a Naga which uses poison. The current one doesn't use such. Furthermore, the Naga now has a 2nd path which will require a total of 5 names now. 3 of the Nagas are mixed fighters fighting with either 1 blade or two small dagger and a bow where as for the other two advancements the Naga drops the bow and uses chakrams.
    Suggestions?

• Sunderer Lv3:
    As another main concern was the missing of the old Cataphrakt, we are planning to introduce it back. We are doing this as a 2nd advancement to the current Sunderer which is gonna wield a mace and bow. The lv3 Sunderer will continue that while the CTP will drop the bow and gain melee spear, just like the old CTP. But we would still need a name for the lv3 Sunderer.
    Suggestions?

Once concepts for the naming and finalisation of balance are finished, we can go on in this thread and discuss unit descriptions. If something good will be posted, I might as well update the thread on the go.

Last edited by ghype on May 27th, 2019, 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
The_Gnat

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Unit Naming & Descriptions

Post by The_Gnat »

I personally think Burner is a good enough name that its probably not worth changing. Burner just feels right for the unit now.
ghype

Post by ghype »

well yeah. burner was also the least urgent to be discussed.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

^_^ True.

In regards to the Shield Breaker I think that:

Skirmisher -> Harrier -> Shield Breaker

For the leadership line, maybe:

Dune Captain -> Dune Legend/Lord

For the Naga, maybe:

Naga Blight -> Naga Stalker -> Naga Predator
and for the other line -> Naga Butcher -> Naga Scourge

These are just ideas, and some of them not very good, so other peoples thoughts would be welcome! :)
ghype

Post by ghype »

SB:
  • Dune Striver, Dune Harrier, Dune Shield Breaker

Leader:
  • Dune Soldier, Dune Major, Dune Brigadier
  • Dune Soldier, Dune Officer, Dune Leader
  • Dune Soldier, Dune Strategist/Tactician, Dune Mastermind

The_Gnat wrote: April 4th, 2019, 9:11 am Naga Blight -> Naga Stalker -> Naga Predator
and for the other line -> Naga Butcher -> Naga Scourge
I am fine with that
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

ghype wrote: April 4th, 2019, 9:31 am Dune Striver
What about Dune Strider?

About the leaders, I'd need to know better how is the Dunefolk army organized and what is their military culture.
If it is regimented and strongly military-driven, more utilitaristic names are appropriate.
If war is considered glorious, then perhaps their names should reflect that.
If their leaders are known chiefly for their wise approach even in war, other names could spring to mind.
I need more background to decide.

Same thing with the Naga: the current names seems not so fitting for me, but they're not conceptually finalised yet, so I think I'll wait before deciding on that. As it is now, they seems to be bloodthirsty and vicious or expert in the use of toxins and venoms. Definitively they are in a bad light at the moment. :twisted:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I like Dune Captain for the leadership unit; I don't think its similarity to the Elvish unit is a problem since they're both leadership units. For the level-up, maybe "prince" or "general"? Or keep a bit more Middle-Eastern flavour and use "emir" or "sultan".

For the shield breaker line, I think we should use "harrier" for either the L2 or L3. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

For the L3 horse archer, is its bow going to be strong? If so, we should treat it as a horse archer unit and pick a name in that vein.

I don't have much time right now, but I'll try to think of ideas for the herbalist and naga later.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

It doesn't strictly have to be the case, but it makes sense to me to have the Dunefolk be a nomadic faction (I think I've said this before somewhere? :lol:), so you could think about that when naming the units.

It's also likely that I'll be the one editing or rewriting the descriptions when the new units probably get mainlined, so idk how much time/effort you want to put into that now. :hmm:
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

• Burner: I'm fine with Burner, though I also like Naffat. It's familiar enough that it doesn't confuse you, and foreign enough to give some flavor. Either way.
  • Shieldbreaker: I'm still unconvinced that this name fits anywhere in this unit line. In any case, I'm for Skirmirsher > Strider > Harrier.
  • Skirmirsher: Dune Captain > Dune Lord sound awesome.
  • Herbalist: Alchemist for the poison branch; for lvl3 healer, maybe Thaumaturge? It means "miracle worker", and would probably fit the bill from the outsider's perspective, healing better than anyone else without even using magic.
  • Naga: Blight, Butcher and Scourge don't fit at all anymore. Not sure yet, considering the weapons aren't fully agreed upon yet. For the chakram line though, Ringcaster, Bladewind or Deathwind could work.
  • Sunderer Lv3: no idea
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

What about changing "Burner" to "Flame Thrower"?
:lol:
nemaara wrote: April 4th, 2019, 1:54 pm It doesn't strictly have to be the case, but it makes sense to me to have the Dunefolk be a nomadic faction (I think I've said this before somewhere? :lol:), so you could think about that when naming the units.

It's also likely that I'll be the one editing or rewriting the descriptions when the new units probably get mainlined, so idk how much time/effort you want to put into that now. :hmm:
To be honest, if you're going to be looking at their descriptions, all the units could probably benefit from it, not just the new ones.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ghype

Post by ghype »

Caladbolg wrote: April 4th, 2019, 11:21 pm
  • Shieldbreaker:I'm for Skirmirsher > Strider > Harrier.
  • Herbalist:for lvl3 healer, maybe Thaumaturge?´
  • Naga: For the chakram line though, Ringcaster, Bladewind or Deathwind could work.
I like all of these, who wouldn't agree?
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

ghype wrote: April 5th, 2019, 8:56 am
  • Naga: For the chakram line though, Ringcaster, Bladewind or Deathwind could work.
I. Thaumaturgy sounds very magical and is religion related.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: April 5th, 2019, 8:56 am
I agree. :) Great ideas!

(Though I might say Thaumaturge is too magical sounding, but I can't think of a better name that doesn't have magical connotations.)
ghype

Post by ghype »

what about pharmacist. it derives from the old latin pharmacia.
or maybe even better botanist?
  • Herbalist, Botanist, Apothecary
  • Botanist, Herbalist, Apothecary
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

For the herbalist line, I think the main (healer) route should be Herbalist -> Apothecary -> Physician. For the poisoner, Alchemist seems like a reasonable name. I don't think Pharmacist is a great alternative to Physician, because it's a synonym of Apothecary.

For the naga, I don't have a clear picture of what the unit line looks like, and I didn't see it on the units database. I'd say Ringcaster sounds good for the lowest-level chakram user (L2, right), but beyond that, I'd need a more complete picture of the unit line to give suggestions. (If Ringcaster is L2, maybe Ringmaster for L3? Or is that too simplistic?)

For the record, while I still like the name Naffat, it seems silly to revert that unit to its original name now.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.