Poll: do drakes eat humans?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

do drakes eat humans?

drakes never eat human meat
16%
drakes eat human meat only if there is no other food
23%
drakes occasionally eat human meat, but prefer animal meat
23%
drakes treat human and animal meat the same way
37%
drakes like human meat more than animal meat
2%

Total votes: 57

sergey

Poll: do drakes eat humans?

Post by sergey »

There was a discsussion in this topic regarding that drakes in the Wesnoth universe do (or don't) eat human meat.

Link to a similar poll regarding orcs eating humans viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49659
Link to a similar poll regarding dragon eating drakes viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49884
Last edited by sergey on June 12th, 2019, 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Xalzar

Re: Poll: do drakes eat humans?

Post by Xalzar »

I voted "drakes occasionally eat human meat, but prefer animal meat" but I'm open to discussion.

From their lore background, Drakes are said to prefer avoiding civilization, so they settle in remote areas like the Heart Mountains. They are known to hunt on land and even on sea their animal preys.

Given the possibility, and whenever preys start to dwindle, I can easily see them capture humans or other sentient species from less defended settlements and take them to their nests as food. I'm not sure if they would eat Saurians (being quite similar species), so maybe that was the starting point of the Drake-Saurian alliance shown in the MP faction (Saurian for once did not need to fear they were going to be eaten).
Ironclad001

Post by Ironclad001 »

From what I have seen of the drakes and from interpreting how they respond to other species across campaigns I would believe that drakes probably wouldnt eat human meat. This is because they are an intelligent civilised race and would know that eating humans would bring attention to their nests, something they are shown repeatedly not to want. In addition to this id you look at it from a purely practical viewpoint humans would not be worth the calories they would need to expend to hunt them. If you look at it there are far more animals that would provide far more calories to the drakes and would be far less difficult for the drakes to hunt. It would be unsustainable for drakes to prey on Humans and other races when they have other sources of food. They also know they would run the risk of Wesnothian retaliation, which as they are portrayed as isolationist seems to be a thing they would want to avoid under all circumstances.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

sergey wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 4:17 pm There was a discsussion in this topic regarding that drakes in the Wesnoth universe do (or don't) eat human meat. This poll is created to understand what community thinks about that. If it will be decided that drakes eat human meat, we can discuss if they also eat elves, dwarves, etc.
For context, the linked topic is about Wings of Victory. WoV depicts a Drakish migration from Morogor to the Great Continent, and the relations between drakes and other races before and after the migration are part of the story. In particular, whatever the relations between drakes and humans may be at the time of, say, HttT, needn't be the same as the relations between drakes and humans in Morogor at the start of WoV.

Also, I don't understand why you're jumping to the conclusion that if drakes don't eat human meat then they necessarily don't eat elvish or dwarvish meat either.
sergey

Post by sergey »

josteph wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 12:32 pm Also, I don't understand why you're jumping to the conclusion that if drakes don't eat human meat then they necessarily don't eat elvish or dwarvish meat either.
I didn't make such conclusion. I thought that people who don't like that drakes eat humans will also dislike eating other sapient races. Moreover, they may find such discussions too brutal and inappropriate. So, if majority dislikes that drakes eat human I think we should stop the discussion.

I thought about naming this poll "do drakes eat sapient races", but that results in either too many options (e.g. "drakes eat dwarves", "drakes eat elves", etc) or too vague options (e.g. "drakes do eat sapient races" could mean "drakes eat only humans", "drakes eat only elves", "drakes eat only elves and merfolks", etc)

To keep the poll simple, I didn't say that according to the "Wings of Victory" drakes changed their behavior during the campaign. I wanted to know general thoughts about this topic. If, for example, majority dislikes that drakes eat humans, then they won't like the story in the first scenario of WoV. On the other hand, if they think that it is ok for drakes to eat humans, they will accept the scenario. Also, result of this poll is one more argument for either changing or preserving the story described in WoV.

If there is no option in the poll that completely satisfies you, please choose the option you like more. Also feel free to post your opinion in more details.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Generally the same as my feelings on Orcs eating humans. Although I imagine Drakes defintely consider Roast Human a fine feast, if it weren't for those nasty, pointy sticks (swords, pikes, etc.) which humans tend to brandish.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I think that, if they preferred animal meat they would not ever eat human meat since easier to hunt animal meat as it is usually available. Since they do eat human meat ( accordingt to some campaing iirc) I voted "like human meat more". Which does not necessarily mean that it 'tastes' better more likely it a cultural the like believing eating your enemies makes your stronger or eating hard to hunt stuff being a status symbol.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I voted "drakes eat human meat only if there is no other food" since... well, even humans will eat human meat if there's nothing else, so "drakes never eat human meat" seems pretty unlikely.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I believe humans do not taste very good. But I believe drakes being monsters (albeit sentient) are naturally carnivorous and not particularly picky. We prefer sheep and cows to eating donkeys so likely they have similar preferences. They may even be omnivorous but either way I am sure they do not have a moral problem with eating human meat. (Unless a moral crisis happens when eating other sentient beings, but I have never heard of such an idea before)
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

I think we do not taste any worse or better than others species. But drakes could consider us hard prey or at least our soliders. That could surely make our meat expensive on drake market. Maybe not every drake or drake tribe/ society will hunt humans but some might just to show off thier skill. Just like some human tribes / societies hunted other humans and believed that eating certain parts of strong warriors will make them stronger.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I think drakes would rely primarily on large herbivores as a food source, such as cows and horses, deer and camels, sheep and so forth... or perhaps more exotic animals such as taurochs or dustboks.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 13th, 2019, 10:15 pm I think drakes would rely primarily on large herbivores as a food source, such as cows and horses, deer and camels, sheep and so forth... or perhaps more exotic animals such as taurochs or dustboks.
Yes those animals have more meat and Drakes are big creatures so they would need to eat more than human probably would.
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

I think, drakes just as much different from each other, as humans are. So, probably, some do and others don't. How often and how many depends on particular conditions and situations.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

They are lawful, I would assume they do not eat the meat of humanoids.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: June 2nd, 2019, 12:51 am They are lawful, I would assume they do not eat the meat of humanoids.
Lawful in Wesnoth terms merely means that they fight better in daylight; it doesn't mean "good" by some cultural point of view.
Less conservatively, it can be said that lawful people belong to civilized cultures more heavily based on the rule of laws (Elves and Dwarves are also civilized, but possibly a bit wilder than humans; Drakes are more savage than humans but basing on their race background apparently they have a strong system of laws - to be confirmed in future campaigns since there is no trace of it in current ones).
That being said, if there is no rule against eating humanoids, then being lawful doesn't forbid that practice.
Maybe there is even a rule which encourages it ("respect your opponent by eating him"? or "absorb the might of the enemies"? or "do not leave dead bodies on the battlefield at the mercy of necromancers"? or "don't waste food"?)!