1.14 on Debian

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mxb2001

1.14 on Debian

Post by mxb2001 »

josteph wrote: February 14th, 2019, 3:56 pm
mxb2001 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 2:21 am (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
easy 1.12.6
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
It was vague, it was not made clear that you didn't need to kill grif mom to win only to get eggs
This is already fixed in 1.14.
Any idea when the Debian folks will offer 1.14? I've only installed Deb a few weeks back so I'm not willing to try out the backport that is available. It's been a decade and a half since I used Linux so I'm keeping it simple which means only the gui software installers available...
Last edited by Pentarctagon on February 22nd, 2019, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split and enabled BBCodes
01/01/01
josteph
Inactive Developer

1.14 on Debian

Post by josteph »

(You might want to enable BBCode in your posts, it's hard to read your replies otherwise.)
mxb2001 wrote: February 22nd, 2019, 5:26 pm Any idea when the Debian folks will offer 1.14? I've only installed Deb a few weeks back so I'm not willing to try out the backport that is available. It's been a decade and a half since I used Linux so I'm keeping it simple which means only the gui software installers available...
You can either install wesnoth via the backport, or upgrade to Debian testing, or wait for Debian Buster (current testing) to become stable, later this year. I would recommend to install the backport in this case.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: 1.14 on Debian

Post by Pentarctagon »

There is also a flatpak available for 1.14.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

mxb2001 wrote: February 22nd, 2019, 5:26 pm Any idea when the Debian folks will offer 1.14? I've only installed Deb a few weeks back so I'm not willing to try out the backport that is available. It's been a decade and a half since I used Linux so I'm keeping it simple which means only the gui software installers available...
If you really don't want to include the backports repository into your sources.list, for whatever reason, you can install the packages directly from here:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/games/

Every Wesnoth package there has got a subpage on its own, with a download link called "amd64", "all" or whatever architecture you're using at the bottom of the page, below the dependencies. Whenever you download a package this way, Debian should offer you to open it with a tool called "GDebiInstaller", which is a simple graphical tool to install lonely deb packages.

It doesn't resolve dependencies, and the packages won't update automatically, of course, so you have to install them in the right order, which is probably 1.14-data, 1.14-core, 1.14-music, all the campaign packages, wesnoth-1.14, and then the meta packages without the 1.14. You'll most likely have to de-install all your current Wesnoth packages before as well. You don't need 'server' and 'tools'.

Disclaimer: Haven't actually tested it now, but should work.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

No, you won't need to uninstall anything. The wesnoth-1.12 and wesnoth-1.14 packages can be installed in parallel. (In debian and debian derivatives. May not be true for other distros.)

I would recommend updating sources.list, that way you will also get updates when bugs are fixed. If you just download random debs windows-style then you're on your own to discover when a critical bugs are fixed.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Such as this, for example.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

> (You might want to enable BBCode in your posts, it's hard to read your replies otherwise.)

Oh, so that's what that newfangled thing is. I always turn it off because I didn't know what it did. Thanks for the tip.

Back in my day we did it like I've demonstrated above. Each reply level was indicated by > or >> etc. The newsreader software would automatically add it as needed. Pity.
01/01/01