Abandoned Add-ons - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Daravel

Re: Abandoned Campaigns - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Post by Daravel »

Sorry for the double post, but figure this should be a separate one.

I have done some reformatting of the list so that it is more readily a list of all add-ons and what the latest BfW version they are available for. Instead of then focusing on it's porting status, there are a few fields to indicate who is porting it, who is the original author, who is the current maintainer and any comments on the add-ons general status. The rest of the fields are general information and not really relevant, but it seemed silly to remove them.

I have removed some of the add-ons identified as duplicates. It should now just be a case of keeping the latest version of BfW up-to-date and for anyone interested in doing so, to list the maintainer or any other info about any add-ons.

I have added an info sheet which just details the development process (if anyone makes changes to the document itself, please document there) and a list of contributors. Please add yourself if you have been adding info or add any other relevant information on that sheet.

Is it worth adding the link to the front post of this thread as a semi-official (hopefully, once fully up-to-date, official) list of all add-ons and their maintained status?

Konrad, just to confirm - you have updated the list so that all add-ons that are on BfW 1.14 are added to the list (or the previous version listed for the add-on is now 1.14)? Have you also been filling in the majority of the information? I can't see who has been making changes.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Daravel wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:02 pm Konrad, just to confirm - you have updated the list so that all add-ons that are on BfW 1.14 are added to the list (or the previous version listed for the add-on is now 1.14)? Have you also been filling in the majority of the information? I can't see who has been making changes.
All add-ons on BfW 1.14 have been added to the list, together with their size, date of last entry, date of last upload, BfW version, author, duplicate yes/no, latest add-on version. For some I also added info regarding their status, as I've played some of the campaigns and others provided information about in their description. I left the field about maintaining mostly untouched, as collecting information about this would cost too much time while the list isn't up to date yet.
And yes, I have done so.

Should I small changes into the changelog, e.g. 'updated the list with 10 1.12 add-ons and updated it with new 1.14 add-on updates' or only big changes 'brought it up-to-date regarding the current 1.12 and 1.14 add-on servers'?
Last edited by Konrad2 on February 5th, 2019, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Konrad2 wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:15 pm
Daravel wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:02 pm Konrad, just to confirm - you have updated the list so that all add-ons that are on BfW 1.14 are added to the list (or the previous version listed for the add-on is now 1.14)? Have you also been filling in the majority of the information? I can't see who has been making changes.
All add-ons on BfW 1.14 have been added to the list, together with their size, date of last entry, date of last upload, BfW version, author, duplicate yes/no, latest add-on version. For some I also added info regarding their status, as I've played some of the campaigns and others provided information about in their description. I left the field about maintaining mostly untouched, as collecting information about this would cost too much time while the list isn't up to date yet.
And yes, I have done so.
That's great - you've done far more work on this than I ever really planned to. Thanks!

I think for the most part, individuals will have to keep individual add-ons up-to-date. All we can do is periodically update it based on the latest add-on server, particularly when 1.16 comes out.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Daravel wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:19 pm That's great - you've done far more work on this than I ever really planned to. Thanks!
Should I small changes into the changelog, e.g. 'updated the list with 10 1.12 add-ons and updated it with new 1.14 add-on updates' or only big changes 'brought it up-to-date regarding the current 1.12 and 1.14 add-on servers'?
(Right now I'm keeping up to date by checking the server daily and updating more add-ons.)
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Konrad2 wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:24 pm
Daravel wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:19 pm That's great - you've done far more work on this than I ever really planned to. Thanks!
(Right now I'm keeping up to date by checking the server daily and updating more add-ons.)
To be honest, you'll probably be updating this far more than me (especially considering your last sentence!). So whatever you prefer to do - I'm happy for you to put smaller, regular changes on there.
I just thought it would be good to keep a record of changes that people make, in case someone comes along and adds in a new column and doesn't mention it anywhere.

Do you have any thoughts on the old add-ons? I always thought it would be a good idea to find those which are more or less complete and playable and list them, so people can have a go at getting them to work on 1.14 so that they are lost to time. I know a lot of the old ones are incomplete and not worth bothering with, so no sense in spending time in recording more info about them.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Daravel wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:28 pm Do you have any thoughts on the old add-ons? I always thought it would be a good idea to find those which are more or less complete and playable and list them, so people can have a go at getting them to work on 1.14 so that they are lost to time. I know a lot of the old ones are incomplete and not worth bothering with, so no sense in spending time in recording more info about them.
I'm working my backwards right now, so it will be quite some time until I'd start working on add-ons that old. I'll probably record their information as well, just in case.
I'd like to record the duplicates as well, but with just enough information to show that they are duplicates. That way people won't have to wonder whether I overlooked an add-on or if it's just a duplicate.
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Konrad2 wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:36 pm
Daravel wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:28 pm Do you have any thoughts on the old add-ons? I always thought it would be a good idea to find those which are more or less complete and playable and list them, so people can have a go at getting them to work on 1.14 so that they are lost to time. I know a lot of the old ones are incomplete and not worth bothering with, so no sense in spending time in recording more info about them.
I'm working my backwards right now, so it will be quite some time until I'd start working on add-ons that old. I'll probably record their information as well, just in case.
I'd like to record the duplicates as well, but with just enough information to show that they are duplicates. That way people won't have to wonder whether I overlooked an add-on or if it's just a duplicate.
I'm probably being a bit thick, but what about the add-ons for 1.12 and earlier is not up-to-date? When I made the original list I took Groggy_Dice's list which had all of those which weren't on the 1.10 server, then took the ones that were on 1.10, 1.12 and 1.14 and put them all into one big list. I then deleted all those that appeared more than once (i.e. I deleted all the previous versions, keeping the latest version). This meant that each add-on was recorded with the latest version of BfW on which it appeared. This should mean that everything is up-to-date.

Unless you mean that add-ons from 1.12 or earlier may now be on 1.14 (after being ported) and that needs to be updated? But I presumed that's what you are already checking.

I know there are some duplicate issues - great if you can spot them. I would suggest deleting duplicates rather than noting them down. There's no need for old records, as long as the most recent is in the list.

The only other thing that is wrong is that everything that was on 1.6 or earlier is listed as 1.6. This is because I didn't think to record which version it was until after I merged the lists. This can be undone if you fancy the leg work, as Groggy_Dice's original list was split into BfW versions. I didn't bother with it, because I figured that if its last version was on Wesnoth 1.4, then it's unlikely to get ported any time soon and if it does, it will just be updated to 1.14.

When looking at old add-ons, what exactly are you looking at? Just its general info - do you install the campaign at all?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Daravel wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:45 pm I'm probably being a bit thick, but what about the add-ons for 1.12 and earlier is not up-to-date? When I made the original list I took Groggy_Dice's list which had all of those which weren't on the 1.10 server, then took the ones that were on 1.10, 1.12 and 1.14 and put them all into one big list. I then deleted all those that appeared more than once (i.e. I deleted all the previous versions, keeping the latest version). This meant that each add-on was recorded with the latest version of BfW on which it appeared. This should mean that everything is up-to-date.

Unless you mean that add-ons from 1.12 or earlier may now be on 1.14 (after being ported) and that needs to be updated? But I presumed that's what you are already checking.
The size is wrong and every thing else except the latest BfW version and Date of last upload (which is sometimes wrong too because of updates) is either not present or only found in the 'full details' field -> so the right fields are not filled in.
It also means that no one checked yet if it's actually on the 1.14 server but under a different name.
I know there are some duplicate issues - great if you can spot them. I would suggest deleting duplicates rather than noting them down. There's no need for old records, as long as the most recent is in the list.
I'm talking about add-ons that underwent name changes and the like. ^^ How to be sure that two similiar sounding add-ons are not the same, unless it's noted down?
When looking at old add-ons, what exactly are you looking at? Just its general info - do you install the campaign at all?
I'm actually just looking at type, name, author, version, size and date. Sometimes I also read the description when I'm looking for a possible maintainer.
I do not especially install the campaign which is why I don't put in anything regarding it's status, unless I've played and finished it recently (since 1.14.0 went live).
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Konrad2 wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:55 pm
Daravel wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:45 pm I'm probably being a bit thick, but what about the add-ons for 1.12 and earlier is not up-to-date? When I made the original list I took Groggy_Dice's list which had all of those which weren't on the 1.10 server, then took the ones that were on 1.10, 1.12 and 1.14 and put them all into one big list. I then deleted all those that appeared more than once (i.e. I deleted all the previous versions, keeping the latest version). This meant that each add-on was recorded with the latest version of BfW on which it appeared. This should mean that everything is up-to-date.

The size is wrong and every thing else except the latest BfW version and Date of last upload (which is sometimes wrong too because of updates) is either not present or only found in the 'full details' field -> so the right fields are not filled in.
It also means that no one checked yet if it's actually on the 1.14 server but under a different name.
I'm talking about add-ons that underwent name changes and the like. ^^ How to be sure that two similiar sounding add-ons are not the same, unless it's noted down?
I'm actually just looking at type, name, author, version, size and date. Sometimes I also read the description when I'm looking for a possible maintainer.
I do not especially install the campaign which is why I don't put in anything regarding it's status, unless I've played and finished it recently (since 1.14.0 went live).
Fair enough. That's all cool.

I'm actually going through the old list and correcting the BfW version on the pre 1.8 ones - I'll put in the author where it's known too

I wouldn't stress too much about older add-ons, because, if someone comes along and ports it to 1.14, then it'll get picked up and you can update the record fully then. At the end of the day this is just a list of add-ons - unless you're happy putting in the work to make it a lot more comprehensive (and I certainly won't stop you!)
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

Why do they need maintenance? I mean if they are completed and already posted why touch them?
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Vilebeggar wrote: February 16th, 2019, 3:11 pm Why do they need maintenance? I mean if they are completed and already posted why touch them?
Even if the campaign doesn't change, Wesnoth does - something that worked in 1.12 may well have bugs or errors in 1.14, for example.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Or someone might find bugs in the campaign long after it was first posted.
Elder_Mage_Hendrick

Post by Elder_Mage_Hendrick »

I failed to get what I ask here so can anyone please give me a Campaign I could work on?
Crelanu was once the Elder Mage master of Delfador (not the main master) and Delfador was once my Elder Mage master. Also since Crelanu and Delfador was once Elder Mages and Delfador was my Elder Mage master that make me "Elder Mage Hendrick" so that means I am now a Elder Mage.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Elder_Mage_Hendrick wrote: February 18th, 2019, 6:55 am I failed to get what I ask here so can anyone please give me a Campaign I could work on?
Take your pick: viewtopic.php?p=635949#p635949
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Elder_Mage_Hendrick

Post by Elder_Mage_Hendrick »

ok thanks but once I have chosen what do I do?
Crelanu was once the Elder Mage master of Delfador (not the main master) and Delfador was once my Elder Mage master. Also since Crelanu and Delfador was once Elder Mages and Delfador was my Elder Mage master that make me "Elder Mage Hendrick" so that means I am now a Elder Mage.