Unreasonable high CPU usage (90-100%)

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
usr7468

Unreasonable high CPU usage (90-100%)

Post by usr7468 »

hi,

the game uses 90-100% cpu on my machine, while on any map. when opening any menu-dialog, ( e.g. (s)tatistics, or ob(j)ectives or even the right-click context-menu anywhere on the map), it drops back to ~10% until the dialog is closed. this happens on all maps/campaigns i tested, including the tutorial.

i tried to:
- disable fullscreen
- set resoulution to 800x600
- disabled map animation
- disabled unit idle animations
- enable/disable "limit fps"-option

nothing had any impact on this behavior.

starting the game single threaded, with:

Code: Select all

numactl --physcpubind=+1 wesnoth

reduced the cpu usage to ~10% without any game performance issues. no lagging. runs just the same.

high cpu usage let my cpu-fan run crazy, which is annoying. very little i do, makes this fan start spinning.. so am i missing a setting or something? do u have a hidden "support us by mining crypto-currencies"-checkbox? :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz
Memory : 32881MB
Operating System : Debian GNU/Linux testing (buster)

-Display-
Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Battle for Wesnoth version 1.14.4
Running on Debian GNU/Linux testing (buster)

Game paths
==========

Data dir: /usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.14
User config dir: /home/USER/.config/wesnoth-1.14
User data dir: /home/USER/.config/wesnoth-1.14
Saves dir: /home/USER/.config/wesnoth-1.14/saves
Add-ons dir: /home/USER/.config/wesnoth-1.14/data/add-ons
Cache dir: /home/USER/.config/wesnoth-1.14/cache

Libraries
=========

Boost: 1.62
OpenSSL/libcrypto: 1.1.0h (runtime 1.1.0h)
Cairo: 1.15.10 (runtime 1.15.10)
Pango: 1.42.1 (runtime 1.42.4)
SDL: 2.0.8 (runtime 2.0.8)
SDL_image: 2.0.3 (runtime 2.0.3)
SDL_mixer: 2.0.2 (runtime 2.0.2)
SDL_ttf: 2.0.14 (runtime 2.0.14)

Features
========

Experimental OpenMP support: yes
JPG screenshots: yes
Lua console completion: yes
Legacy bidirectional rendering: yes
D-Bus notifications back end: yes
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: Unreasonable high CPU usage (90-100%)

Post by gfgtdf »

So you also get the high Cpu usage on the main screen or in the campaign selection dialog?
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
usr7468

Post by usr7468 »

no.

i get high cpu usage, in-game, on the map/battlefield only. not on the launch-screen, not in the menus. only in-game where you move ur units and make them fight the enemy :). but when i open any game dialog while playing, the cpu usage goes down again to ~10%. that can be anything, like the right-click-context-menu ( Terrain Description / Set Label / Clear Labels ), or the the battle-dialog which appears, when a fight starts with an other unit . the game battlefield can be behind that dialog. does not matter, as long as any dialog is open, it reduces the cpu usage to ~10% (guess 1 running thread). animations, like the water animation stop, if any dialog is open. so i tried to disable them, but nothing changed. if the dialog is closed, the cpu usage is back to 100%

when i use the command from above, to force the game to use only one cpu-core, not all 8, the performance is not effected. it does not run 8-10 times slower. it runs as always, but the cpu usage stays at ~10% max. so from my point of view, it uses 8-10 times more cpu resources than it should.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

oh sry i miread your first post. In that case, if you build wesnoth yourself i'd reccomend to try building without 'Experimental OpenMP support'
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
usr7468

Post by usr7468 »

thank you for your prompt replys :)

unfortunately i am running 1:1.14.4-1(testing); installed with apt; on Debian (buster).

is it possible to disable OpenMP support without building myself? any settings files to edit? or a hidden command line param? did not find anything glancing through 'man wesnoth' and 'wesnoth -h'. when it comes to building stuff myself, i am am the lazy type :P
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

one attempt coudl be setting the enviroment variable OMP_WAIT_POLICY to PASSIVE, not sure how enviroment variables work exactly in particular on linux, so i cannot tell you how this is done exactly.
usr7468

Post by usr7468 »

export OMP_WAIT_POLICY="passive"
wesnoth
solves my issue. tyvm gfgtdf!
joemaro

Post by joemaro »

I also had an issue with high cpu usage and it's solved by both of your solutions, thank you very much!

(Manjaro Linux, 8 cores)
DumptyMcGanti

Post by DumptyMcGanti »

I am facing the same issue.
My system fan is always on during scenarios, and turn's off during main screen, add-on's etc.

I am playing the windows 32bit version.
Any solution that works for windows??
CPU consumption is 26% and RAM 400MB.
Wesnoth version 1.14.5
usr7468 wrote: August 27th, 2018, 11:32 pm

export OMP_WAIT_POLICY="passive"
wesnoth
solves my issue. tyvm gfgtdf!
any way to use this for windows?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

You could try this for Windows, I think.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
DumptyMcGanti

Post by DumptyMcGanti »

Pentarctagon wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 8:00 pm You could try this for Windows, I think.
Thanks for looking into this, but I could not find the "windows-environment" tab (I am using windows 7).
I turned off "map animations" which made map scrolling very smooth. CPU still consumes around 20-21%.
Is this normal? Looking at the game's graphics I am of the opinion that it should be light on system resources.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Go to the Start Menu > right click on Computer > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > click Environment variables. I don't use Windows anymore, but it was there when I used Windows 7.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

All Windows 10 does is move stuff around so old instructions don't work any more. Everything is still there, you just need to find where they hid to.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
DumptyMcGanti

Post by DumptyMcGanti »

Pentarctagon wrote: February 5th, 2019, 1:03 am Go to the Start Menu > right click on Computer > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > click Environment variables. I don't use Windows anymore, but it was there when I used Windows 7.
thank you, although I still do not know what to do next :oops:
this is a snap shot of my screen.
Is 25% CPU consumption normal for Wesnoth?
screenshot:
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I just played around a bit on a Windows 10 laptop, testing this, and my system loads run about where yours are, maybe a bit higher. I also have Chrome open to this web page. As I'm typing, Wesnoth 1.14.5 is running along with Task Manager and all my normal background stuff. Every now and then, system load goes to nearly 100% on all four logical processors (which, I'm guessing, is either Windows 10 doing something, or one of my security systems gnawing on something).

Unless you're noticing a significant speed issue (like slow typing on a web form, like I'm doing now), I'd not worry too much about your average being 25% or even one logical processor briefly going to 100% (nearly the same thing).

Heck, when I'm compiling Wesnoth (which takes several minutes) I let it nail three logical processors at 100%, leaving one for my other work, and barely notice the slowdown (except for when the compiler is linking the bits together and nails my disk utilization to 100% for a minute or three).

ETA: I closed Wesnoth and checked and my loads dropped a bit, like from 35% to 15%, and are fluttering around 20% as I type this addendum. So I'd guess "normal" load for Wesnoth would be about 15% across four logical processors.

I also noted, as expected, that the loads seem to be dependent upon whether I'm in full-screen or windowed mode, the size of the screen or window, where I am in Wesnoth (menu, lobby, scenario, etc.) and, if a map is displayed, details such as the amount of water, the number of units, flickering fires, etc.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.