The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign now for 1.14 - [Feedback and development]

Post by Konrad2 »

Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote: January 18th, 2019, 7:40 pm EDIT 2: I seem to be starting The Duel with 3600 gold?
Would you mind uploading a save file for that one? Probably one for the end of scearnio 4 too.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 7:52 pm Would you mind uploading a save file for that one? Probably one for the end of scearnio 4 too.
Here's the replay of Lurm's Camp, and the save at the start of The Duel.
Attachments
TRS-(4) Lurm's Camp replay.gz
(78.75 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
TRS-(5) The Duel.gz
(18.84 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

So, as you will see in my next replay, I used debug mode. I used it to modify my leader units a bit (took 3 max hp from those who already had advanced, reduced their max xp to the way it was before the level up, wrote down their (post lvl 3) obtained xp, leveled them up and gave them xp accordingly (max xp does not increase for training AMLA, while it did for the +3hp AMLA)).
I did notice though that the xp bars turned blue now, instead of staying purple. Is that intentional?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I'd like to note before replying, that there was a very ugly crash-bug in 1.1.8 while attacking with any freshly picked-up item that had the 'heavy' weapon special. (units that have it by default are not concerned). 1.1.9 brings a fix for this, but it doesn't fix saved games. So if you have already picked up an item in 1.1.8 with 'heavy', for example a pickaxe, you must go back to that point and pick it up again to fix the issue. Terribly sorry for that :(
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 11:58 am 'Disrespected' is ignored if you have a unit with leadership next to the affected unit.
Disrespected is kinda like a "negative leadership", implementation-wise, that's precisely what it is, therefore by the standard Wesnoth rules only one leadership is applied, the one with the highest value. So if there's any kind of positive leadership next to disrespected, it will be ignored. This is intended, and also makes sense story-wise: if there's a great leader nearby, the nobody will listen to the gibberish of the disrespected one, so he can't disrupt the work.
You have a base income in the inn scenario -> playing Whess allows you to end turns and earn gold. You can earn even more gold by occupying villages, because they give you income as well.
It's only a problem because it's visible, it won't actually count. You cannot end your turn in the Inn, so your gold won't accumulate, and your gold is re-counted at the end of every Whess play with the amount you had before it started, +/- the winnings. Unfortunately, the fact that occupying villages increases income can't be negated. A custom village that heals but gives no income would be a better solution - it's on the list.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote: January 18th, 2019, 7:40 pm The Vow is a lot simpler than the previous scenario, and also significantly easier. I found that not only was I able to out-recruit the enemy leader, I also had three Level 2s, and the War Cart, to start off with.
Which difficulty do you play on?
In the story phase after, you misspell daughter as 'doughter' a few times.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/doughter :) A couple of times it's also spelled 'dothor'.
The Orc captain's weakness reminded me of Shadow of Mordor/War,
You've got that right :) That's where inspiration came from.
One small bug I noticed during this scenario is that if you take a village, you cannot undo your move - I'm guessing this is because of the script to play the sound effect.
Right, sorry for that. (All sound effects caused this bug back in the day, I forgot to fix the villages).
Orcish Cur has no bow attack, but the sprite has a quiver of arrows
It's actually the melee sprite of the orcish archer. I'll erase the quiver :)
EDIT 2: I seem to be starting The Duel with 3600 gold?
I'll take a look at this as soon as I can.
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 9:01 pm I did notice though that the xp bars turned blue now, instead of staying purple. Is that intentional?
Yeah, I see that. No, definitely not intentional. Will be fixed.
On the other hand, not-increasing max XP (and neither the max HP) with non-default AMLA is intentional.

So as I said above, 1.1.9 has been uploaded with 2 bug-fixes, one of them very urgent. Please make sure to upgrade before starting (10) Dwarvish Mines, and if you already started it and picked up a pickaxe, you must restart from here. Otherwise the unit that picked up a pickaxe in 1.1.8 will make the game crash every time it attacks or is attacked. Terribly sorry for this again.
1.1.9 Changelog:
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 19th, 2019, 6:25 pm I'd like to note before replying, that there was a very ugly crash-bug in 1.1.8 while attacking with any freshly picked-up item that had the 'heavy' weapon special. (units that have it by default are not concerned). 1.1.9 brings a fix for this, but it doesn't fix saved games. So if you have already picked up an item in 1.1.8 with 'heavy', for example a pickaxe, you must go back to that point and pick it up again to fix the issue. Terribly sorry for that :(
So this does not affect me if I picked them up in 1.1.7?
It's only a problem because it's visible, it won't actually count. You cannot end your turn in the Inn, so your gold won't accumulate, and your gold is re-counted at the end of every Whess play with the amount you had before it started, +/- the winnings. Unfortunately, the fact that occupying villages increases income can't be negated. A custom village that heals but gives no income would be a better solution - it's on the list.
Isn't it possible to modify the income a side gets from villages? I mean, it is possible in MP, so there probably is some way for SP as well.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 8:19 pm So this does not affect me if I picked them up in 1.1.7?
No, it doesn't. You're good to go. :)
Isn't it possible to modify the income a side gets from villages? I mean, it is possible in MP, so there probably is some way for SP as well.
Or that :D :doh:

EDITED:
I have also discovered another issue with the intoxication reducing after an epic enemy. It was broken to be precise. Since that's quite an important factor, here is 1.1.10 bringing the fix, and the other things I fixed before this discovery.
Changelog 1.1.10:
Also, I am not entirely satisfied with the current scaling of intoxication we have. Here's my question to those who are already drinking :D
Spoiler:
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

There are some overlays in Sc12 and Sc13 turning forests into flatland.
Why did the Lich King lose the ability 'submerge'?

EDIT:
The Ancient Battlefield
wierd -> weird
Why do Witches require 180XP for AMLA?

EDIT 2:
Even though I killed that Lich King my intocicated level was not reduced. Will I have to fight legendary enemies every scenario now? :(
Why did the saurians and nagas not fight each other before they spotted me?

EDIT 3:
TRS-(15) Prison of the King-Auto-Save4.gz
(365.79 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
'Stunned' does not get removed at the end of a scenario.
Attachments
TRS-(14) The Ancient Battlefield replay.gz
(209.34 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
TRS-(13) Orcish Vanguard replay.gz
(177.36 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 20th, 2019, 12:25 pm Even though I killed that Lich King my intocicated level was not reduced. Will I have to fight legendary enemies every scenario now? :(
See previous EDIT, download 1.1.10 :) Sorry for the bug. It won't fix the already defeated boss, but it's gonna work starting from the next one.
I'll take a look at the other stuff soon.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Repost because of the update.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote: January 18th, 2019, 8:06 pm ---- the high starting gold issue -----

Here's the replay of Lurm's Camp, and the save at the start of The Duel.
So, finally got around to find the reason for that high starting gold. Apparently a typo can have huge impact on gameplay, as there is a gigantic difference between 100% and 1000% carryover :mrgreen: Fixed in 1.1.11.
If you did not continue the game yet, download the patch, and reload TRS-The Inn (3).gz. (Reloading directly (5) The Duel won't work, the scene must be reloaded before it), and your starting gold should be fine. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Konrad2 wrote: January 20th, 2019, 12:25 pm There are some overlays in Sc12 and Sc13 turning forests into flatland.
If you mean the graveyards, I've fixed those to remain forests. Were there others? (I can't find anymore, but I might be missing them)
Why did the Lich King lose the ability 'submerge'?
Fixed that.
Why do Witches require 180XP for AMLA?
Bad leftover of a copy-paste I guess, lowered it to 95, that should be reasonable for a level 2 unit.
Why did the saurians and nagas not fight each other before they spotted me?
I think they did back in the day, but for balance reasons now they don't attack each other at all. I might do a revision on this.
TRS-(15) Prison of the King-Auto-Save4.gz
'Stunned' does not get removed at the end of a scenario.

I'll try to find what causes this.

I have uploaded 1.1.11 with most of these fixes, including the fix of the blue XP-bar of AMLA units (now it's purple again, but doesn't fix already AMLA-ed units, only freshly AMLA-ing ones), and bringing the exclusion of Maggoth from getting special AMLA's for two reasons: one, he could thus lose 'disrespected' without Dayton having to drink for it, 2, he will simply never be qualified for high-level training.
Changelog 1.1.11:
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 20th, 2019, 6:52 pm So, finally got around to find the reason for that high starting gold. Apparently a typo can have huge impact on gameplay, as there is a gigantic difference between 100% and 1000% carryover :mrgreen: Fixed in 1.1.11.
If you did not continue the game yet, download the patch, and reload TRS-The Inn (3).gz. (Reloading directly (5) The Duel won't work, the scene must be reloaded before it), and your starting gold should be fine. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Isn't coding fun? :lol: Thanks for such a quick fix!
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 20th, 2019, 6:52 pm If you mean the graveyards, I've fixed those to remain forests. Were there others? (I can't find anymore, but I might be missing them)
I think those were the only ones.
Bad leftover of a copy-paste I guess, lowered it to 95, that should be reasonable for a level 2 unit.
The standard is 50*lvl. ^^

If a unit has a better version of a weapon special or ability (magical/arch-magical, leadership/advanced leadership) the inferior version is not removed.

'Tactical advantage' counts as a separate fight and awards xp.

EDIT:
Sc15
Is that Death Marshal only for show? Also, Tharos blew up a wall and it didn't scroll there. :(

EDIT 2:
That's my scenario 16.
That's my scenario 16.
TRS-(16) The Wail-Auto-Save1.gz
(387.31 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
EDIT 3:
Battlecry boosts the leaders attack dmg. (Whess)
I'll be posting my replay of my longest Wess game. 44 turns and still counting. xD

EDIT 4:
Inn (6)
Both choices lead to going around the mountain.

EDIT 5:
Why couldn't I arm the slaves (way back) with spears?
Why is fog disabled for the ai in Sc17b?
Berserkers and Rockbreakers (lvl2 units) need 150XP for AMLA.
The 'exit drinking inventory' field says 'Your inventory is empty.'
Attachments
TRS-The Inn (6)-Auto-Save90.gz
FINALLY
(505.19 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
TRS-(16) The Wail replay.gz
Technically it's playable. Technically.
(197.78 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
TRS-(15) Prison of the King replay.gz
(223.81 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 20th, 2019, 10:22 pm If a unit has a better version of a weapon special or ability (magical/arch-magical, leadership/advanced leadership) the inferior version is not removed.
Now I am not entirely sure about Tharos's arch-magical, but I'm quite sure AMLA-advanced leadership removes leadership. A screenshot of the specific unit would help.
'Tactical advantage' counts as a separate fight and awards xp.
Fixed that (it was the same with eagle eye, forgot about this one).
Is that Death Marshal only for show? Also, Tharos blew up a wall and it didn't scroll there. :(
Only for show.
Because it's only one blow here :D But fixed it, it scrolls there now here as well.
black.png
TRS-(16) The Wail-Auto-Save1.gz
Missing unit :doh: Sorry, fixed that.
Battlecry boosts the leaders attack dmg. (Whess)
I'll be posting my replay of my longest Wess game. 44 turns and still counting. xD
Fixed battlecry. Well, don't we all love RNG :D
Both choices lead to going around the mountain.
Apparently it got bugged if you didn't start a sidequest there but continued the story. Oh well, fixed that.
Why couldn't I arm the slaves (way back) with spears?
I don't really have a reason for that. Hmm. Why not, I'll consider that.
Why is fog disabled for the ai in Sc17b?
There is no fog on the entire scenario.
Berserkers and Rockbreakers (lvl2 units) need 150XP for AMLA.
Reduced to 110.
The 'exit drinking inventory' field says 'Your inventory is empty.'
Now I can't seem to reproduce this. Also, which field are we talking about? The 'Don't drink' option in 'Drinking' menu item? It seems to work fine here, it just resumes game. Screenshot could help :)

Because scen. 17a being unaccessible and scen. 16 being a black nothing are rather serious, here is 1.1.12 with the finished fixes, and also new weather animations from Hero of Irdya (Wesnoth 1.12). The old eyekiller rain animations are gone :)
Changelog 1.1.12:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 21st, 2019, 9:00 pm Now I am not entirely sure about Tharos's arch-magical, but I'm quite sure AMLA-advanced leadership removes leadership. A screenshot of the specific unit would help.
You are right there, I just got confused at the level up window.
But I'm right about Tharo's arch-magical. :D
There is no fog on the entire scenario. (17b)
On turn two Dayton 'remembers' that the map was fogged and the fog came quickly -> there is fog from turn 2 onwards.

Now I can't seem to reproduce this. Also, which field are we talking about? The 'Don't drink' option in 'Drinking' menu item? It seems to work fine here, it just resumes game. Screenshot could help :)
(It works, it's just the wrong label.)
inventory.png

EDIT:
The overlay 'dead giant tree' doesn't count as forest. Is that intended? (Example Sc18 18,4)

Also, you can't tell which village belongs to which enemy side as they've got identical flags. (Sc18)

EDIT 2:
It would be cool if slayers of legendary enemies would get some bonus vs lesser kinds of this legendary unit. (Like Nemesis of Orcs = terrifies orcs) xD
Tharos can't earn AMLA, because of his ability as lvl 5 mage. Maybe add some on/off switch for this?

EDIT 3:
Bow Commander does not count as Archer...

EDIT 4:
Orcish Trasher is unable to earn xp.

EDIT 5:
I didn't earn any xp for killing Skun.

EDIT 6:
I can recall Mounted Sergeants in Sc20. (For real.)
Even the outside is underground. A miracle.
Once you free the two Brothers a dialog happens. 'weakspot' -> 'weak spot'
The recruit animation for the undead is super fast.

EDIT 7:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRS-(20) The Black Sword-Auto-Save7.gz
She says she found a pick axe, but she didn't get any. :(
(481.79 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
TRS-(18) The True North replay.gz
(244.74 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
TRS-(19) The Warchief replay.gz
(296.89 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
TRS-(17) Mountain People replay.gz
(236.27 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 21st, 2019, 9:12 pm But I'm right about Tharo's arch-magical. :D
You are. But I'll let it stay for now, because I have long been considering changing that arch-magical to something else. The lvl 5 variant will have arch-magical by default, so it's not that big of an addition at an intox cost of 16%.
On turn two Dayton 'remembers' that the map was fogged and the fog came quickly -> there is fog from turn 2 onwards.
Oh, OK, gave that to the AI too.
Konrad2 wrote: January 21st, 2019, 9:12 pm
(It works, it's just the wrong label.)
inventory.png
Okay, nightmare-specific again, sorry. :( Fixed that.
The overlay 'dead giant tree' doesn't count as forest. Is that intended? (Example Sc18 18,4)
Kinda. I don't think a dead tree trunk is passable as forest, it doesn't even have leaves like the giant tree does.
Also, you can't tell which village belongs to which enemy side as they've got identical flags. (Sc18)
Fixed that, gave one of them a ragged flag.
It would be cool if slayers of legendary enemies would get some bonus vs lesser kinds of this legendary unit. (Like Nemesis of Orcs = terrifies orcs) xD
While I agree that some unit-specific bonus would sound fair, it shouldn't be something as OP as that, besides it would be quite difficult to make. But something like a powerful object taken off the corpse of the slain foe sounds passable. I'll see what fits and what doesn't.
Tharos can't earn AMLA, because of his ability as lvl 5 mage. Maybe add some on/off switch for this?
I agree that this is a bit of a conflict between the two mechanisms, however I think not letting Tharos AMLA is good for balance. You can already set up some insanely powerful allies, but Tharos would be too much. Giving another strike to him while buffing his attack by three would even make a Lich King look like no threat compared to that. (Comes to mind, for a few versions it's been possible to gain a Lich as an ally, and that can be lead to a Lich King that can AMLA. Maybe I'll put a stop to that too).
Bow Commander does not count as Archer...
Forgot to refresh the list, done that.
Orcish Trasher is unable to earn xp.
It was missing its AMLA, fixed that.
I didn't earn any xp for killing Skun.
It's probably because of moving the killer unit, I'll see what I can do.
I can recall Mounted Sergeants in Sc20. (For real.)
A typo in the name made it possible :) Sorry.
Even the outside is underground. A miracle.
I'll add a time area.
The recruit animation for the undead is super fast.
I know. For some reason, for me, all animation are super-fast since 1.14. It was all right in 1.12, but they are gone crazy. I'm not sure why, but I'm working on it. (Have been since 1.1.0 of TRS...)
EDIT 7:
Spoiler:
Fixed those :)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

That autosave in my last post was also kind of a bug report. :D Should have pointed that out somewhere.

Regarding the animations, how about asking in the modding channel on discord? The developers probably know this kind of stuff best.
Attachments
TRS-(20) The Black Sword replay.gz
(290.57 KiB) Downloaded 247 times