The Reign of the Lords

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lordlewis

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by Lordlewis »

Cool :D
Also only just when loading a game after updating the add-on, I realised that the Bone Marauder is a choice of leader which is a level 3 unit, but can recruit level 3 units and every other leader is level 4. :hmm:
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes most leaders are level 4 it is the only level 3 leader until I can draw a lvl 4 sprite for the Bone Marauder (though perhaps I should have removed it as an option).

And definitely let me know if you see any bugs or have any suggestions! :)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Some corrections/suggestions/questions regarding the stuff in the 'story' tags.
Part1:
" Some are born great. Some achieve greatness. And some have greatness thrust upon them. But beware if you are of the latter... nothing comes without a price
And the price of greatness, power, strength, often is your soul."

So, why are the no periodes after 'price'? Also, why are there two whitespaces before the start of the text?

Part2:
" This fort is a lonely place that has long been forgotten. For almost a year all you have fought is the rats and the cold. But despite appearances this is an important strategic position. This outpost is on the peak bordering the elven lands and the orcish border. Furthermore there is a large store of gold in the nearby treasury, from the rich gold mines nearby."

The peak? The peak of what? :(
their - it belongs to them
there - some place you are pointing at

Part4:
" The Orcish Wartribes have been fighting an intense civil war since the start of the year now and the General believes that these scattered tribes that have been driven acrossed the border into our land may be the key to a new alliance between the Orcs and Humans, and the key to ending the tyrannic rule of the Orcish Warlords. He does not share your pessimism and hope for war, and has gone to meet with the Orcish leaders to discuss their presence on the border."

I'm not sure about this correction, but it kinda feels right now.

Scenario objectives, defeat condition
Loose -> lose
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 8:01 pm Some corrections/suggestions/questions
Thank you Konrad2, my English is not exceptional so this is very helpful!
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 8:01 pm So, why are the no periodes after 'price'? Also, why are there two whitespaces before the start of the text?
I believe the missing period and white spaces are accidental. ;)
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 8:01 pm The peak? The peak of what?
It was supposed to be a geographical peak, however, this campaign is not yet grounded in a real place in wesnoth. I need to figure out wesnoth looks like and where the orcs live before I know where this peak actually is. ^_^

But it should probably read the 'peaks', that makes more sense.
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 8:01 pm m not sure about this correction, but it kinda feels right now.
Yes I agree that is better :) Tyrannic is a very good description of the Orcs War tribes. Thank you! And please let me know any other corrections you have!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I thinks it's weird that the villages 37,37 and 35,40 and 29,41 (and maybe 34,32 and 28,34) do not belong to me already (especially 37,37 where you even placed a loyal unit) because those villages are (more or less) within my fortifications around the Treasury Keep (basically in a place under my control).

(35,48 is basically the same thing.)

49,53 is the most questionable one of them all.

EDIT:
Turn 2
You are in command now and we cannot let the invaders take the treasury.

Why do the orcs destroy some villages while others only get roughed up instead?

EDIT 2:
Pleeeeease put a note somewhere about sergeant units being able to advance to healer-like units for those unfamiliar with your era.
As those are the only healers you seem to have access in the first scenario, it drastically raises the value of recruiting sergeants.

EDIT 3:
Turn 9
caverns than so -> caverns then so
this is nearly a a -> this is nearly a
but it seems that strategy may backfire if we loose -> but that strategy will backfire if we lose

lose: being defeated
loose: easy to take/untangle (loose knot/binding)

The village on 10,9 is not illuminated unlike the hexes surrounding it.

It would be nice if you'd remove indicators of special places once you've visited them or otherwise mark them as already visited. That way the player won't have to wonder whether he already visited there.

EDIT 4:
Chevalier
Infantrymen -> Sergeant after all they advance from Sergeants, so why not?

I'll look through the unit files soon.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:45 pm I thinks it's weird that the villages 37,37 and 35,40 and 29,41 (and maybe 34,32 and 28,34) do not belong to me already (especially 37,37 where you even placed a loyal unit) because those villages are (more or less) within my fortifications around the Treasury Keep (basically in a place under my control).
Yes that is strange and I will fix it. I believe it was because I was assigning starting villages like this {STARTING_VILLAGES 1 6} which just randomly picks villages near you. I will manually assign the ones which are inside your keep instead. :)
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:45 pm Turn 2
You are in command now and we cannot let the invaders take the treasury.
Thanks for noticing that! :)
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:45 pm Why do the orcs destroy some villages while others only get roughed up instead?
It is just a random generator which does one or the other. But if you think it would be better to just destroy them all I can do that instead and supplement the Orcs by giving the gold :)

Alternatively what might be best is just to have them all roughed up, rather than some destroyed. That way the income is still a factor and strategically the terrain matters, but it would be more clear what is going on. What do you think?
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:45 pm Pleeeeease put a note somewhere about sergeant units being able to advance to healer-like units for those unfamiliar with your era.
As those are the only healers you seem to have access in the first scenario, it drastically raises the value of recruiting sergeants.

Chevalier
Infantrymen -> Sergeant after all they advance from Sergeants, so why not?
It definitely does and I will do that. That is a very good thing to point out :D
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:45 pm Turn 9
caverns than so -> caverns then so
this is nearly a a -> this is nearly a
but it seems that strategy may backfire if we loose -> but that strategy will backfire if we lose

lose: being defeated
loose: easy to take/untangle (loose knot/binding)
Haha I noticed that I spelled 'lose' wrong many times, I have replaced them all ^_^
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:45 pm The village on 10,9 is not illuminated unlike the hexes surrounding it.
Unfortunately the map editor would not let me illuminate the village... :hmm:
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:45 pm It would be nice if you'd remove indicators of special places once you've visited them or otherwise mark them as already visited. That way the player won't have to wonder whether he already visited there.
Okay yes sure. But for example the Dwarven Doors would be odd to disappear after they are visited... wouldn't massive doors just vanishing be spooky? :P
Should I remove that also when you move there? Or maybe just change the picture so it looks opened?
Konrad2 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:45 pm I'll look through the unit files soon.
Okay great thanks! By the way there are about 200 units, :whistle: So don't feel that you have to look through them all. A bunch still don't have descriptions yet, which I need to fix.

Also any suggestions about changes to the story or events would be great to! :D Some things sound fine when you type them but then not so much when they are actually in the campaign ;)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The_Gnat wrote: It is just a random generator which does one or the other. But if you think it would be better to just destroy them all I can do that instead and supplement the Orcs by giving the gold :)

Alternatively what might be best is just to have them all roughed up, rather than some destroyed. That way the income is still a factor and strategically the terrain matters, but it would be more clear what is going on. What do you think?
If you keep the destroying part, please do give the orcs gold whenever they destroy a village.

And personally I'd prefer having all villages getting roughed up, maybe you can even something so they will be destroyed once an orc visits a village the second or third time?
Unfortunately the map editor would not let me illuminate the village... :hmm:
Try asking Whitewolf about this, he is using villages in his campaign that are permanently darkened.
This might be just as helpful. I'm sure someone in the discord modding channel can explain that one.
Okay yes sure. But for example the Dwarven Doors would be odd to disappear after they are visited... wouldn't massive doors just vanishing be spooky? :P
Should I remove that also when you move there? Or maybe just change the picture so it looks opened?
How about adding a team label with the name of the place once you've visited it?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Konrad2 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 2:08 am
If you keep the destroying part, please do give the orcs gold whenever they destroy a village.

And personally I'd prefer having all villages getting roughed up, maybe you can even something so they will be destroyed once an orc visits a village the second or third time?
You make a good point, I think that I probably will remove the destroying part. It is interesting but also a bit confusing. It is fun thematically even if the villages are only roughed up.
Try asking Whitewolf about this, he is using villages in his campaign that are permanently darkened.
This might be just as helpful. I'm sure someone in the discord modding channel can explain that one.
Okay great! :D Thank you for that link I will see if I can implement their solution, and if not I will ask whitewolf.
How about adding a team label with the name of the place once you've visited it?
Good idea! :) Something like "Dwarven Doors", or "Abandoned Hut", "Hunting Camp"?

Thank you again for all your suggestions!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The_Gnat wrote: Good idea! :) Something like "Dwarven Doors", or "Abandoned Hut", "Hunting Camp"?
Yes, but the first case would be 'Dwarvish Doors', as 'Dwarven Doors' is/was(/will be?) a town.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Konrad2 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 6:44 am as 'Dwarven Doors' is/was(/will be?) a town.
Okay good point ^_^
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I'm putting it into spoilers because technically you won't see those descriptions unless you've seen the unit.
Spoiler:
EDIT:
(Just saying, I like the 'Drakes have an inner flame (which is also their source of life kinda)' thing, so my suggestions are biased towards this.)
Spoiler:
I'll try finishing a folder for every scenario I play, so this might take some time.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Konrad2 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:38 am 'm putting it into spoilers because technically you won't see those descriptions unless you've seen the unit.
Awesome, that is very thorough and very helpful!
Konrad2 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:38 am Just saying, I like the 'Drakes have an inner flame (which is also their source of life kinda)' thing, so my suggestions are biased towards this.
That is fine, I personally like the idea of an inner flame also!
Konrad2 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:38 am 'll try finishing a folder for every scenario I play, so this might take some time.
;) No problem, though currently I have only finished one scenario haha. Speaking of the scenario by which path did you finish the first scenario?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The_Gnat wrote: January 19th, 2019, 8:04 pm ;) No problem, though currently I have only finished one scenario haha. Speaking of the scenario by which path did you finish the first scenario?
As I'm playing 3 campaigns at parallel, I mean the scenario count, not the scenarios in a single campaign.
I didn't finish yet The Rising Storm, as I got held up with the units.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Konrad2 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 8:16 pm As I'm playing 3 campaigns at parallel, I mean the scenario count, not the scenarios in a single campaign.
I didn't finish yet The Rising Storm, as I got held up with the units.
Okay :D sounds fun! Good luck with all your campaigns!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Which folder is the right one, Dunefolk or Khalifate? Or both?

EDIT:
Descriptionswise: Dwarvish Bear Rider = Dwarvish Bear King, Dwarvish Arbalestier = Dwarvish Barrager
Elvish Vendicator -> Elvish Vindicator
The file name of the 'Ice Penetrator' is 'Ice Penetator' right now.
Spoiler:
EDIT 2:
Spoiler:
EDIT 3:
Spoiler:
Nothing below yet. Basically a list for me so I won't lose track.
Spoiler: