Voiceover for An Orcish Incursion Development thread

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Voiceover for An Orcish Incursion Development thread

Post by Heindal »

Thanks max-torch for your instructions, these are indeed good basics for voice recording!

There are some tutorials about how to make voice sound even more impressive, but these tutorials would go to far I think. But they are good for rookies.
Unfortunately they are just available in German. Just in case somebodies interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ6XPZvQMKw

____

However I can take any role of orcs. But for now I'd like to start with "Urugha".
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

max_torch wrote: January 8th, 2019, 6:57 am Here's the script. Please inform us if anything is wrong or missing.
Don't forget about the po comments. You can find them both in the scenario source file and in the pot file:

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... fg#L41-L43

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... #L130-L131

There are more comments than just this one, of course.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Heindal wrote: January 9th, 2019, 5:44 pm Thanks max-torch for your instructions, these are indeed good basics for voice recording!
Thank you for posting those links Heindal. Also yes any of the orcs would be great to have voice acted!

As for the story do we want a narrator to record them or do you think characters would be better?
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

The_Gnat wrote: January 12th, 2019, 1:40 am
Heindal wrote: January 9th, 2019, 5:44 pm Thanks max-torch for your instructions, these are indeed good basics for voice recording!
Thank you for posting those links Heindal. Also yes any of the orcs would be great to have voice acted!

As for the story do we want a narrator to record them or do you think characters would be better?
narrator. since the language of the campaign is supposed to be archaic and this occured very long ago, it doesnt seem fitting that one of the characters in the story is still alive to tell it.
In the first post i mention that i assigned my sister to voice it. we're trying to go for something that sounds like galadriel in the beginning of the "fellowship of the ring" movie where she narrates "three rings given to the elves, five to the dwarves, .... but the hearts of men were weak..."
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

max_torch wrote: January 12th, 2019, 2:01 am
The_Gnat wrote: January 12th, 2019, 1:40 am

narrator. since the language of the campaign is supposed to be archaic and this occured very long ago, it doesnt seem fitting that one of the characters in the story is still alive to tell it.
In the first post i mention that i assigned my sister to voice it. we're trying to go for something that sounds like galadriel in the beginning of the "fellowship of the ring" movie where she narrates "three rings given to the elves, five to the dwarves, .... but the hearts of men were weak..."
This could work, do you have samples already?
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: January 12th, 2019, 2:01 am In the first post i mention that i assigned my sister to voice it. we're trying to go for something that sounds like galadriel in the beginning of the "fellowship of the ring" movie where she narrates "three rings given to the elves, five to the dwarves, .... but the hearts of men were weak..."
That is a great idea. I always loved those opening lines in the fellowship and for a recollected story-like beginning I believe that would suit quite well! :)
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Heindal wrote: January 12th, 2019, 6:41 am This could work, do you have samples already?
Tomorrow I'll post some rough samples.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Here are samples of Gharlsa and the narrator. Please comment. These are rough and are not final.
Attachments
Gharlsa_narrator_samples.zip
(5.76 MiB) Downloaded 395 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Sounds great for rough samples. Now to the feedback:

narrator:

- the narrators voice and didactics sound like the narrator in lord of the rings, well done

note that I think the records already sound good and are well done.
These are just details and I just want to share these things, to make things perfect:

- your sister has a light accent like yours. I love this accent and fits well with role-play and lord of the rings themes.
For a female elf it is a little unfitting, as one would expect a perfect voice like water or a spoken melody (however one could argue that the elves speaking human tongue and therefore speak things out differently), so it's up to you if you want to reduce the accent. But I know that is hard work.
- c and s sound really sharp on the recording, try to reduce that a little or use a mic.
- i heard breathes and rustling several times. You could cut them out, or try using a impact sound filter for the mic.

Gharlsa:

- nice one, I like these roles, too.
- you did the right think speaking slowly.

- the voice sounds slightly different in the first and the second record:
one idea to solve that is to look into a mirror while recording > than make a sketch and try to look the same as in the first recording.
second idea voice record everything for this character in one track so you can keep the same voice.
- sometimes I can not what you are saying, for example 'flesh' doesn't sound like it.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: January 13th, 2019, 1:53 pm Here are samples of Gharlsa and the narrator. Please comment. These are rough and are not final.
:D This sounds great! I like the narrators voice very much!
Heindal wrote: January 14th, 2019, 12:08 am Now to the feedback:
Not really anything to add to Heindal's suggestions :)
ghype

Post by ghype »

I really like the voice performances but I am dying when I have to hear to this quality.

Maybe thats because I am a record producer, but is there any chance you can get your hands on a dynamic/condenser microphone of any sort?
It sound like it was recorded via laptop mic. Maybe you can borrow it from a friend and I can give you very good and easy tips on how you can deal with the reflections while recording.

As for the sharp S sounds, I can make them less sharp once the final files are ready. Or you could use a de-esser tool/plugin and do it yourself.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

The sample recording were taken using a headset microphone which is the same thing I used for making the recordings for "A Tale of Two Brothers +voices". I have gotten feedback that the audio quality of AToTB+voices is not that great and also now here you're giving feedback that the recording quality is not good. That's actually why we stopped recording and I'm still looking for a better microphone that I can use. Currently haven't found one yet but I hope I do.
ghype

Post by ghype »

don'T take me wrong , the quality is wrong. it is alright for a UMC campaign. but for mainline...

I would have the gear needed to make great voice recordings, though i have no talent whatsoever
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

ghype wrote: January 14th, 2019, 12:52 pm don'T take me wrong , the quality is wrong. it is alright for a UMC campaign. but for mainline...

I would have the gear needed to make great voice recordings, though i have no talent whatsoever
Wouldn't say so. On my speakers quality was ok, considering that the regular wesnoth player has no Teufel equipment at home, it's imho ok for mainline.
After all there is no 'quality requirement' for voiceart in mainline, as there is no mainline voiceart, yet. And the Tale of Two Brothers quality was quite good (except for my parts :().

But I admit, that headsets don't offer a high quality in recording, its more for gaming or voice chat. Especially when you use an USB headset. One simple trick to solve this is to directly connect the USB Microphone with your soundcard using audio cables (green and red - red is usually the microphone). Why? If you use a cheap USB microphone the audio isn't created by your sound card, but with soundcard integrated into the USB Plug or even worse a 'software soundcard'.

For recording you should get a microphone, which are not super expensive. Good / new microphones (not awesome but good) can be found for around 50-150 €. I use the Rode NT-USB Kondensator USB Microphone, which is around 135 € (new on amazon). Even so it's an USB Microphone it's quite good and delivers a fair sound. This Microphone is recommended for streamers on twitch (at least for the starters), which why I bought and used it for my radio show.
theuncertainman

Post by theuncertainman »

Erlornas Scenario 1.7z
(4.81 MiB) Downloaded 414 times
I think that feedback earlier was a bit harsh, but I definitely support getting a better USB microphone. Even a Blue Snowball is a step-up from a headset.
And if you can afford a bit more for a better mic, that's fantastic. I certainly don't regret grabbing my AT2020USB+.

I've made an attempt at the first scenario. I've moved into a new flat and I can't say I'm very happy with the recording environment. For louder shouting lines I'll try and get myself into the recording studio at university.

Does anyone have any feedback? Does anything need to be redone?