The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign now for 1.14 - [Feedback and development]

Post by WhiteWolf »

Yeah, upgrading there is fine. The stuff I broke in 1.1.4 are "just" the effects, like the blood trails, some unit's bleeding, the corpses, the soldier sound voicover...

The fix_missing_ability is another issue, as I saw in your gameplay you chose Longbowman for your leader, so it's completely irrelevant to your gameplay :) No need to apply it.

EDIT: Updated EoR to 1.1.1 since that was broken as well.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Ah, I missed that. Sometimes when I see a word like captain I automatically think it refers to your hero/leader.

Spoiler:

In Nemesis (attached), I used trainkill 1x on Tharos and hit the unit at 37.31. It didn't work the way it was supposed to. A couple turns later Tharos executed the maneuver correctly. I also saw this much earlier with Millas, but I didn't save it since it was right when I was transitioning from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5.

Also note the state of the allied leader. Then see the WML error at the start of Fury (attached).

Other stuff:

Mt Pass: towards the end "make this decend" should be "descent", though I suppose some might use "descend" as slang.

Warchief: A one point, the objectives need updating. Also, in the dialog "sentece" > "sentence"

One of the riddles: "longes" > "longest"

This might have been in 1.1.4 or 1.1.5, there was a level with fog. I could see blood trails being drawn under the fog, though I couldn't see the unit making them. I don't know if this is even fixable, but it doesn't seem right to me.

Deaths Blood: "put a fight" > "put up a fight". "subtract the truth" > "extract the truth".

Interception: "inch of it" > "inch of them". croucing > crouching

Nemesis: nuncle > uncle

Endless: "extract our revenge" > exact. avange>avenge. ser>sir
Attachments
TRS-(24) Fury and Bloodlust.gz
(220.36 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
TRS-(23) Nemesis-Auto-Save18.gz
(529.09 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 8th, 2019, 9:37 pm In Nemesis (attached), I used trainkill 1x on Tharos and hit the unit at 37.31. It didn't work the way it was supposed to. A couple turns later Tharos executed the maneuver correctly. I also saw this much earlier with Millas, but I didn't save it since it was right when I was transitioning from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5.
I'll need you to be a bit more specific, because it seems to work fine here, even from loading your exact save. However, I have a guess: did you try to hit the Dark Elvish Warrior on 37,28? Please note, that trainkill doesn't trigger if you attack a unit that could be potentially killed even the first successful hit., like in this case: Tharos deals 20 damage, and the unit only has 15 HP. In this case, a trainkill-set attack makes no sense, because the point would be to lower the enemy's HP without killing it, but here it's impossible. If I allowed trainkill to trigger, then a in this fight your unit refuses to do anything, but takes damage from the enemy. A misclick or a mistaken order to attack would be quite painful. In order to avoid this, trainkill doesn't trigger in such fights - it's kind of a convenience-function so that you don't have to manually disable trainkill in order to kill such a unit.
However, I do see it's not been properly documented (this is completely missed out in fact). I will add this info to the trainkill-teaching map :)
white_haired_uncle wrote: Also note the state of the allied leader. Then see the WML error at the start of Fury (attached).
minor story spoiler:
EDIT: OK, scanning it through again, I think everything worked fine and as supposed to, the error message is just a result of me being negligent about the exact way of coding it.
white_haired_uncle wrote: Warchief: A one point, the objectives need updating.
Indeed it does.
white_haired_uncle wrote: This might have been in 1.1.4 or 1.1.5, there was a level with fog. I could see blood trails being drawn under the fog, though I couldn't see the unit making them. I don't know if this is even fixable, but it doesn't seem right to me.
Fixable :) However, it will also mean that no blood-trail will be visible in fog. I'll try to experiment with how to filter this, I believe it's possible to let seen trails stay while hidden enemies don't draw any, we'll see.
white_haired_uncle wrote: Nemesis: nuncle > uncle
Nuncle is archaic spelling for uncle. I recommend Game of Thrones - it's a good read ;) Other typos duly noted.

In the meantime I've fixed the disappearing red image overlay on bleeding units, expect 1.1.6 soon.
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Spoiler:
Thanks for the campaign, it was quite fun. A nice mix of new units and objects to make it interesting, but not so much that a new player would get overwhelmed. Playing on normal, I found it to be quite consistent in difficulty, aside from the beginning and end of Prison.

I did find that gold was a problem in the last couple acts, I ended up pretty much every scenario in the red, partially because I knew there wasn't enough income on the map to sustain the army that I had (wanted) to use, so I just burned it all up recalling. I see this too often (maybe because I suck), and I think it's a weakness in BFW -- if you can't pay your units' upkeep, why don't at least some of them start to defect?
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 9th, 2019, 7:24 pm
Spoiler:
That's just not right. :hmm: Here your save works 10/10, but I think even 20/20 because I kept experimenting with different setups. I don't know what could be causing this. If you can still reproduce it, can you please check this: start the attack, then move the cursor over Tharos. In the right-side banner his fireball damage should drop to 0 during the attack animations, then change back to original value once over. Does this happen at all, and does this happen when he hits twice? Thanks.
Thanks for the campaign, it was quite fun.
Glad you liked it :) Thanks for the reports.
I think it's a weakness in BFW -- if you can't pay your units' upkeep, why don't at least some of them start to defect?
That's something that could be a feature, but it would be really hard to implement it in a way that it adds to the game's fun factor rather than being an annoying limit.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

What was the action performed before this? Was it a unit attacking another, a movement, or what?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

It was Dayton attacking (melee) an orcish unit.
Btw, executing Khaso gives me 3xp, despite his 'humilator' strength. (Unless you already fixed that.)
Attachments
TRS-(7) Crossing River Bork replay.gz
(106.84 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

It's probably tactical advantage interacting in a bad way with another special or ability. Can you remember which orc did Dayton attack?

EDIT: Thanks :)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

That Orcish Poacher. Maybe my orcish ally next to him is responsible?
Also, can Royal Guards advance further in the Ravagers Era?

EDIT:
Any hints for beating 'The Kneeler'? 8 lawful lvl 2 (or more) units arriving at day to punch my army in the face is not easy to deal with.

EDIT 2:
It has nothing to do with my orcish ally. But it happens every time Dayton melee attacks a unit directly south of him.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

You've got me with this. I'll replay it a few times, try to recreate it and find out what happened, but looking at it now, I don't know. It's just weird, comes out of nothing, goes back into nothing as it came. You attack Poachers before this, and after this as well without problems. No idea right now.

Yes they can :)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 9th, 2019, 11:47 pm You've got me with this. I'll replay it a few times, try to recreate it and find out what happened, but looking at it now, I don't know. It's just weird, comes out of nothing, goes back into nothing as it came. You attack Poachers before this, and after this as well without problems. No idea right now.
Look at my second EDIT. ^^

EDIT:
Trails of a Mage
Why do I have a Swordsman and a Longbowman? I was under the impression that almost all human units back then had the 'Ducal' prefix.
And why am I unable to recall units? :(

EDIT 2:
Did you create the map of the 'Trainkill' turtorial yourself? If not, where did you find it? (Because SotA uses an almost identical map and now I'm wondering who was first.)
(Captain Larry demans upkeep. Is that intended?)
This scenario lacks a day-night circle.
I have a recruitlist in this scenario. xD

EDIT 3:
My scenario objectives do not update for 'Whess'.
TRS-The Inn (4)-Auto-Save8.gz
(265.32 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Also, sometimes cards are applied twice and 'petrify' works only for units on Fortifications.
Poison card is applied to undead as well.

Was the rules to hit the leader or to attack? Right now it's hitting.

Also, it's Merfolk now, not Merman. :D
Attachments
TRS-The Inn (4)-Auto-Save7.gz
Just wait a turn and see the double effect. Or use your leader card.
(271.34 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
TRS-(9) Trails of a Mage replay.gz
(158.61 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
TRS-(8) The Kneeler replay.gz
(119 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 9th, 2019, 11:05 pm It has nothing to do with my orcish ally. But it happens every time Dayton melee attacks a unit directly south of him.
So, to be precise: it happened if Dayton missed his attack North or South. And now I'm banging my head in the table for it. (wrote $x2,$y1 instead of $x2,$y2 at one tiny place. Worse than hunting a missing semi-colon in C...) :D
Konrad2 wrote: January 9th, 2019, 11:49 pm Trails of a Mage
Why do I have a Swordsman and a Longbowman? I was under the impression that almost all human units back then had the 'Ducal' prefix.
And why am I unable to recall units? :(
It was a leftover from the pre 1.0 era of the campaign :D
You are denied to recall because of story (and balance, especially on easier difficulties) reasons: Cormac didn't march his whole battle-proven army to meet supposed allies. The units that spawn at the start are actually what you are "allowed" to recall, and are recalled automatically.
Konrad2 wrote: Did you create the map of the 'Trainkill' turtorial yourself? If not, where did you find it? (Because SotA uses an almost identical map and now I'm wondering who was first.)
(Captain Larry demans upkeep. Is that intended?)
This scenario lacks a day-night circle.
I have a recruitlist in this scenario. xD
No, it's from SotA. I imagined a map like that for this scenario and didn't want to start from scratch, so I just modified it a bit.
Made Larry loyal, and added the day-night schedule. Also disabled the recruitlist.

My scenario objectives do not update for 'Whess'.
TRS-The Inn (4)-Auto-Save8.gz
Also, sometimes cards are applied twice and 'petrify' works only for units on Fortifications.
Poison card is applied to undead as well.
I see the problems. Petrify is something I didn't come to conclusions with - when it was introduced there was no board-specialization for the factions yet, but now Wesnothians and Orcs would be at a terrible disadvantage to that card. I am not yet sure what to do with it, therefore now it only works on fortifications and is a bit ambiguous.
Konrad2 wrote: Was the rules to hit the leader or to attack? Right now it's hitting.
The one to deal the first successful hit onto the enemy king wins.
I believe it's correct :)
Konrad2 wrote: Also, it's Merfolk now, not Merman. :D
Where exactly? I can't find "Merman" spoken in the scenarios. Lily says "mermaids" once, but I think that's fine.

EDITED:
Cards fired as many times, as the number of times you started Whess during the same inn session. Wow.
Uploaded 1.1.6 with a series of fixes and some improvements:
Changelog 1.1.6:
Most fixes should be immediate. The 'manage all units' option in trainkill is does not apply to saved games.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 10th, 2019, 12:02 pm
Where exactly? I can't find "Merman" spoken in the scenarios. Lily says "mermaids" once, but I think that's fine.
It's the flood card. Units are returned as 'Merman undead'.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 10th, 2019, 1:50 pm
WhiteWolf wrote: January 10th, 2019, 12:02 pm
It's the flood card. Units are returned as 'Merman undead'.
Oh, got that then.
I watched your Kneeler replay. Wicked :D That Rogue got damn lucky on turn 4, then that Razor play in the end is awesome. Well played!