Roll call for voice acting of Descent into Darkness

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
The_Gnat

Re: Roll call for voice acting of Descent into Darkness

Post by The_Gnat »

Here is the new Git-Hub project. Feel free to PM me if you want me to add you as a contributor, or just upload your files here and I will put them up.

So far I have implemented the story voice overs. I will upload Heindal's german sound files soon. :)
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Ah, I should've caught wind of this earlier. :augh:

For the record, I'm planning to do a revision of Descent into Darkness after the 1.14.6 update comes out, meaning dialogue rewriting and some gameplay changes (as of right now, nothing to the overall story though). I don't know if you want to wait until that happens (it's not a 100% given that it'll happen anyway), especially since we don't have a set date for 1.14.6, but thought I'd give you this heads up. :whistle:

Anyway, it'll be cool to have a voiced version of DiD on the add-on server, whether it's the revised or original version. :p
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

nemaara wrote: January 4th, 2019, 2:10 am For the record, I'm planning to do a revision of Descent into Darkness after the 1.14.6 update comes out, meaning dialogue rewriting and some gameplay changes.
Thank you for letting us know! :) Is it going to be a major overhaul or more minor (less than 50% of the dialogue re-written)?

If it is not going to be major than we could later either re-record anything that needed to be or just have an older version of the campaign with voice acting.

We have already done quite a bit so I would be hesitant to dump the project at this point but potentially we could delay it if you plan on making a major overhaul.

Another idea is that if an update of DiD is planned anyway we could potentially merge the voice code into the the mainline campaign. The code is pretty insignificant and would sit there and do nothing unless a user downloaded a voice pack from the add-on server but this would save the inconvenience of making a whole extra add-on and having a duplicate campaign in the campaign menu.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

So the one I did for TSG (that's coming out in 1.14.6) was a lot more than 50%, I probably edited almost every string in there. It's hard to say right now what the case will be for DiD (likely less than for TSG), but likelihood is that it'll be more than 50%. :hmm:

That being said, I don't think I'll be touching the [story] text toooooo much other than to add things to it. I seem to recall it being better written than the dialogue at least for me. Another option is that I can start on dialogue revisions now, but it won't be easy to finalize those revisions at least until after 1.14.6. :hmm: :hmm:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay good to know. I assume the changes you have planned are for the better so it does seem like a disadvantage to record audio before the improved text.

I would wait to hear what everyone else thinks because I am of course not running this project, but I would be inclined to take a pause on voice acting this campaign until it has been revised.

EDIT: Also I was wondering if you are working with josteph on this? He has recently made a few commits to the DiD dialogue on github.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

@nemaara
im also wondering if youre working with josteph

@the team
im for pausing until after the dialog overhaul
the DiD voiceover project will still be here waiting for our return to it
an option for us is to work on another campaign which is not due for a dialog overhaul
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: January 4th, 2019, 6:32 am n option for us is to work on another campaign which is not due for a dialog overhaul
I'm interested in working on something else if the rest of the team is.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I don't specifically work with josteph, but we do talk pretty frequently and he'll probably at least have a look at my dialogue revisions. However, he probably won't be the only one to have comments on them; other devs will likely make their own input as well.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

@nemaara Yes, I will probably have a look at the dialog revision. However, coming back to what you said earlier:
nemaara wrote: January 4th, 2019, 2:10 am For the record, I'm planning to do a revision of Descent into Darkness after the 1.14.6 update comes out, meaning dialogue rewriting and some gameplay changes (as of right now, nothing to the overall story though). I don't know if you want to wait until that happens (it's not a 100% given that it'll happen anyway), especially since we don't have a set date for 1.14.6, but thought I'd give you this heads up. :whistle:
I am concerned to see the effort to voice act DiD getting postponed because you said you were considering revising the dialog, even though you don't commit to that, while the team here have already begun work. You can't expect them to put their project on hold indefinitely; they have to know whether or not you'll be revising DiD so they can make their plans. If you plan to revise DiD, great :), and if you prefer to postpone your DiD plans, okay :| , but you should let these good people to know what your plans are sooner rather than later, so they can make their own plans.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

To be clear, I am planning to at least do a dialogue revision after 1.14.6.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

So after thinking about it a bit and talking with josteph again, we don't really see any harm in starting the revision right now (all I really have to do is label it to not be put in 1.14.6). If you guys want to continue your voiceover project on this campaign (and don't want to switch campaigns), I can start now.

There are a couple things to be aware of:

1. I will update the dialogue, but my initial changes are very likely to be revised again after, when devs make comments and suggest further revisions. We can notify you after text is merged for each scenario, and you can use the dialogue for all the scenarios we say are up to the latest version.
2. I do want to update gameplay as well. In particular, I'll probably switch when you get skeletons and ghosts (S3 and S4), and I'll probably rewrite S11 completely.
3. Gameplay will probably take longer than dialogue to merge because it takes more time to test. I'm hoping to update gameplay at the same time as dialogue in order to account for all the dialogue changes needed. There is an off chance that as the gameplay gets refined more, I might need to add/remove dialogue, but I will try my very very best to account for everything when I make the dialogue changes. Once the dialogue gets merged, it should be okay for you to start doing voiceovers (may be better to wait for confirmation from us, though).

Any thoughts? :hmm:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

nemaara wrote: January 4th, 2019, 10:17 pm There are a couple things to be aware of
I appreciate you considering bumping up your schedule to accommodate us. This definitely would be more ideal. I would be interested in knowing what you would estimate is the likely time frame until the dialogue begins being merged? (Because that would reflect when we could begin working on the project again)

Also I would like to inquire if it is at all a possibility to write the voice acting code into the DiD scenarios?

Basically one line in each dialogue box which looks like 'voice=blah.ogg' so that we don't have to write an additional add-on.

Thank you!
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

@josteph will have to be the one to answer your questions. I'll actually begin working on it tonight, and likelihood is that I can get a couple scenarios done over the weekend (okay, so knowing me, it might take a couple more days than that to have something presentable :roll: ). As for merging, it depends on when josteph and other devs have time to look it over and make comments. They'll also have to be the ones to comment on whether or not they want voice acting in there and if they think it's suitable for 1.14 or 1.15. :hmm:
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

if we work on An Orcish Incursion, the shortest campaign, i think there's a good chance we can finish that by the time a lot of work and consensus will have been done on DiD by the devs.
@any dev is this due for overhaul/revision?

EDIT: AOI is not the shortest campaign. AToTB is.
Last edited by max_torch on January 6th, 2019, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

If AOI is not being updated then I would be happy to work on it.

The more campaigns that get voice acted the better :)

And yes I think AOI would be short enough to be finished by the time the commits are made.