The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign now for 1.14 - [Feedback and development]

Post by Konrad2 »

Are Dark Elves supposed to have only one trait, which can be postive or negative?

Stun never wears off.

It's possible for your reinforcements (Sc1) to spawn in a stone wall.

Also, damn is it intense. Do you mind if post replays as I proceed through your campaign?

Moving a unit that leaves a blood trail makes that move un-undoable.

Would you mind spawning the reinforcements around 21,15 instead? They always get stuck outside of my defensive perimeter...
(I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and 18 units is not enough to hold a lot of ground.)

'All of our warriors have been sloughtered..' -> slaughtered

The 'Hunter' from Dark Elves is somewhat floating in Shallow Water.
float.png
Units standing on the 'holy brazier' seem to float a bit too.

The Vow
The music restarts when after you start reading the second intro text.
(Same for the Inn scenario afterwards)

Silent Towers
I can recall the War Cart.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello,

Replays are appreciated :)

I have also discovered a rather ugly bug, and quickly updated to 1.1.1 before even coming here today.
changelog 1.1.1:
To answer some of your issues:
Yes, in this story Dark Elves are 1 totally random-trait nation.
As I see it, that floating is as good as it gets. The Hunter's center is a little bit high, and that causes the waterline to go that low. It's the same with braziers.
You can recall the War Cart, because why would the ravagers disassemble it? ;) You can always manually dismiss the unit if it takes up space :)

I'll take a look at the rest asap. Yeah, I see that stun didn't survive the porting to 1.14, and blood trails now behave how voice sync used to (pre.1.0.13). On it :)
Last edited by WhiteWolf on January 4th, 2019, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

War Cart:
Because it would be more useful if I could send the two ranged units guarding the War Cart into battle?

I'm not sure about the tenses you are using in the story. Sometimes it's past, sometimes it's present, both in the same sentence, talking about things that happen at the same side. Maybe you want to take a look at the story?
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

In help for witch, the description is for a herbalist.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

The War cart stays :)

In which scenario do you think tenses are incorrect? The story is narrated from the Inn, when message caption says "At the Inn - someone", and no unit is highlighted, then the events are discussion is going on in the Inn, therefore they are talking in past tense. When message caption is just "anyone" and the speaking unit is highlighted, then it is happening there on the map, so they talk in present as they process events.

EDIT:
I have fixed stun, undoable moves, music restarts and the typos, including the herbalist :) . The first two are rather serious, so I've already uploaded 1.1.2 with the fixes.

The reinforcements may spawn into the walls if there are no available tiles nearby. I agree it looks bad, I'll see what to do about that. Also about the spawning. I don't want to rush into changing it, on hard difficulty it's a lot more useful to have it this way, are at least according to my experience.

Thanks for the reports :)
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
white_haired_uncle

River Bork: objectives don't mention early finish or carryover
white_haired_uncle

Two of the units a raider can advance to are named pillager. That's kinda weird.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

"Everyone who hasn't fled yet was being put to the sword, some orcs were already feasting on the dead. The dark elves have planted their banner on the spires - the colours of a black field with a bloodstained spot in the middle."
That's at the beginning of Scenario 2. It looks weird to me, but maybe it's just me.
TRS-(1) Siege of Greenwood Castle replay.gz
(70.17 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
TRS-(2) The Vow replay.gz
(39.54 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

EDIT:
Carry over gold is broken for the normal scenarios. I ended Sc2 with 161 carry over gold, but I'm starting Sc3 with the 140 minimum gold.
TRS-(2) The Vow-Auto-Save14.gz
(73.29 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

And Elvyndiel demands upkeep.
TRS-(3) Silent Towers-Auto-Save1.gz
(63.46 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

EDIT 2:
So does Gallien.

EDIT 3:
Lurm's Camp
If one of your hero units dies while attacking Lurm's Favourite for the first time, the dialog between them will occur before the Last Breath event happens.
I lose all my villages (even those on the new map) once I kill Lurm's Favourite.
Corpses and Blood trails are not properly 'moved' once the new map is in place.

EDIT 4:
Executing the enemy leader only gave combat xp instead of kill xp. That's probably the same for every execution?

Maggoth, the Low -> Maggoth the Low (because it's a title)

Mounted Sergeant is using the Raider attack animation?

The Duel
I was supposed to start with 140 gold on top of the minimum gold. I'm starting with 152 gold (minimum gold + 12).
Arming a unit depletes it moves.
Arming a slave makes him lose all of his xp.

'A great victor today, my dear. A great defeat tomorrow.' -> 'A great victory today, my dear. A great defeat tomorrow.'

EDIT 5:
Clash of Three Kings
You are using 'timeshifting' fires. #3056

EDIT 6:
I ended 'The Duel' with 129 carry over gold (the 'this or minimum gold' variant), somehow started the next (as Dayton) with 79 gold and this scenario has
10% carry over gold, so I started River Bork with minimum gold + 9 gold. xD Tbh, the carry over gold is a mess. :D
Even Dothar demands upkeep now.
Attachments
TRS-(4) Lurm's Camp replay.gz
(72.69 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
white_haired_uncle

Cave of ghosts:

1) Palldry figured it out. Five times.
2) Around turn 35 I started getting the "3 turns left" messages, when I actually had about 13.
3) Move to the X triggers several times
4) If you kill the ship twice, moving to the X doesn't trigger the end

listenning > listening
murderes > murderers

Also, from an earlier scenario: punds > ponds
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Sorry, I'll do this quote-answer style, it'll be easier to keep track of stuff.
white_haired_uncle wrote: River Bork: objectives don't mention early finish or carryover
Neither do a lot of maps. The specific percent of carryover is only mentioned if it differs from Wesnoth's default ( 80% )
white_haired_uncle wrote: Two of the units a raider can advance to are named pillager. That's kinda weird.
That's already fixed, please update to 1.1.2 :) Also, please avoid double-posting, and edit your previous post if there haven't been any replies yet.

Konrad2 wrote: "Everyone who hasn't fled yet was being put to the sword, some orcs were already feasting on the dead. The dark elves have planted their banner on the spires - the colours of a black field with a bloodstained spot in the middle."
I fail to see any present tense in there. However, I am not a native English speaker of course, so I may mix up present perfect and past simple, if that's what you see weird. I agree it'd be nicer if it spelled "Everyone who hadn't fled...", so it's corrected now.
Carry over gold is broken for the normal scenarios.
The Duel
I was supposed to start with 140 gold on top of the minimum gold. I'm starting with 152 gold (minimum gold + 12).
Apparently, gold carryover is broken when an Inn scenario is next. In older versions Dayton's Inn money wasn't handled separately, now it is, and that breaks carryover during those maps. This happens only 7 times, and I didn't fix it yet. Will do soon.
And Elvyndiel demands upkeep.
So does Gallien.
Yeah, Elvyndiel missed upkeep=loyal, but for me Gallien doesn't, and neither does Dothar. Where exactly do you see that?
If one of your hero units dies while attacking Lurm's Favourite for the first time, the dialog between them will occur before the Last Breath event happens.
That's rather specific. :D Anyway, changed when the dialog is shown.
I lose all my villages (even those on the new map) once I kill Lurm's Favourite.
Corpses and Blood trails are not properly 'moved' once the new map is in place.
Yeah, I forgot about corpses and blood. Villages are reset because it's kinda a new scenario, but yes, they should remain captured. Will be fixed.
Executing the enemy leader only gave combat xp instead of kill xp. That's probably the same for every execution?
Unless my memory cheats me, it is. Kill xp is denied because you do not exactly kill the unit by the book. This could be argued, true, I might change it in the future.
Maggoth, the Low -> Maggoth the Low (because it's a title)
I disagree, all orcs use commas before their nicks.
Mounted Sergeant is using the Raider attack animation?
Placeholder.
Arming a unit depletes it moves.
Arming a slave makes him lose all of his xp.
Of course it does, why wouldn't it? :D Having been armed is similar to being recruited or recalled, you wait for a turn to move with the new gear. Having gained previous experience with a pitchfork won't add to your experience with swords, bows, or magic studies.
Clash of Three Kings
Yes, that seemed the easiest solution, since the whole scenario takes place at night.
I ended 'The Duel' with 129 carry over gold (the 'this or minimum gold' variant), somehow started the next (as Dayton) with 79 gold and this scenario has
10% carry over gold, so I started River Bork with minimum gold + 9 gold. xD Tbh, the carry over gold is a mess. :D
I can't reproduce that. Clash of Three Kings (6) always starts with the minimum gold (430 on nightmare) for me, and it's the same reason for the trimmed carryover for the next scenario.

I will eventually watch your replays when I find the time.

EDITED
white_haired_uncle wrote:Cave of ghosts:

1) Palldry figured it out. Five times.
2) Around turn 35 I started getting the "3 turns left" messages, when I actually had about 13.
3) Move to the X triggers several times
4) If you kill the ship twice, moving to the X doesn't trigger the end

listenning > listening
murderes > murderers

Also, from an earlier scenario: punds > ponds
1) The Palldry figure-out bug was actually quite random to appear or not. Thanks :)
2) This seems to work fine here. Though I am only testing it now, having fixed the Palldry issue, and the two may have been linked. Being unable to reproduce it, I'd say it's also fixed.
3) I'm not sure which X you mean.
gameplay spoiler:
Can you please elaborate?
4)
gameplay spoiler:
Since none of the issues are that urgent, I will wait with 1.1.3 for other stuff to accumulate. Thanks for the reports :)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 5th, 2019, 7:17 pm
Konrad2 wrote: "Everyone who hasn't fled yet was being put to the sword, some orcs were already feasting on the dead. The dark elves have planted their banner on the spires - the colours of a black field with a bloodstained spot in the middle."
I fail to see any present tense in there. However, I am not a native English speaker of course, so I may mix up present perfect and past simple, if that's what you see weird. I agree it'd be nicer if it spelled "Everyone who hadn't fled...", so it's corrected now.
have planted their banner

Yeah, Elvyndiel missed upkeep=loyal, but for me Gallien doesn't, and neither does Dothar. Where exactly do you see that?
I'll upload the saves soon.
Meanwhile, here is a probably useful link.
TRS-(4) Lurm's Camp.gz
Gallien
(13.73 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
TRS-(7) Crossing River Bork-Auto-Save1.gz
Dothar and Gallien
(184.91 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Of course it does, why wouldn't it? :D Having been armed is similar to being recruited or recalled, you wait for a turn to move with the new gear.
Because you didn't make full moves a condition for arming a unit. So I just moved the unit and armed it after it had no moves left/was in position.
Clash of Three Kings
Yes, that seemed the easiest solution, since the whole scenario takes place at night.
It's ugly. :(
I can't reproduce that. Clash of Three Kings (6) always starts with the minimum gold (430 on nightmare) for me, and it's the same reason for the trimmed carryover for the next scenario.
'Clash of Three Kings' consists of two scenarios with seperate gold. Daytons story and the story of the three kings. I'm refering to Daytons part.
Attachments
TRS-(5) The Duel replay.gz
(65.07 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
TRS-(6) Clash of Three Kings replay.gz
(103.7 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: have planted their banner
That's present perfect, describing a finished event in the past. But yes, simply "planed their banner" would be nicer, OK.
Konrad2 wrote: Meanwhile, here is a probably useful link.
Hmm. Well, that's new. Seems like I'll be switching to loyalty as a trait then, instead of using upkeep directly.

Because you didn't make full moves a condition for arming a unit. So I just moved the unit and armed it after it had no moves left/was in position.
Point duly noted. Fixed, now full movement is also a condition for arming :lol:
It's ugly. :(
It works :arrow: don't touch it. Joke aside, it's just not a priority. Will look at it if I find the time.

'Clash of Three Kings' consists of two scenarios with seperate gold. Daytons story and the story of the three kings. I'm refering to Daytons part.
I still don't get it. What separate gold? Gold is not changed manually during the scenario anywhere. It's two quasi-scenarios, aye, but the gold stays the same when switching from Dayton animations to actual battle scenario.
Your replay starts with 430 gold, with the Dayton animations, as expected.
Spoiler:
Even in the saves menu, next to reserve troops, it says "remaining gold: 430". I don't see 79 gold anywhere. :hmm:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 5th, 2019, 9:43 pm Hmm. Well, that's new. Seems like I'll be switching to loyalty as a trait then, instead of using upkeep directly.
Why not use the [effect] solution? Traits are nice to have.
Apparently [object] is another (more usual) way to go about this.
I still don't get it. What separate gold? Gold is not changed manually during the scenario anywhere. It's two quasi-scenarios, aye, but the gold stays the same when switching from Dayton animations to actual battle scenario.
Your replay starts with 430 gold, with the Dayton animations, as expected.
I just got that mixed up with the 129 gold (no idea where I got that number). My 79 gold are what I had left after the 18 turns were over. :)

EDIT:
Village Mage
thier -> their

Herbalist
on -> of

EDIT 2:
Khaso's weakness is hidden at the beginning. But I can just look at his abilites and read it up. So it's not very hidden. :D
white_haired_uncle

FOV2: objectives say "turns run out", but no max turns listed (see also FOV3).

I suspect you forgot to remove the X at 20.9 after it has been inspected.

FOV4: initial dialog is missing stuff. Maybe because there is no Morvian? The initial objectives are a little confusing, I have to hold out for some amount of time, but defeat if time runs out?

FOV5: thread carefully > tread

Help for Master Archer shows daze on longbow, but when you select a MA daze isn't shown on the right side of the screen.

Re: Cave of ghosts:
Spoiler:
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 5th, 2019, 10:00 pm Why not use the [effect] solution? Traits are nice to have.
Apparently [object] is another (more usual) way to go about this.
It's what I meant. Sorry, I was a little slow in mind last night :)
Konrad2 wrote: Khaso's weakness is hidden at the beginning. But I can just look at his abilites and read it up. So it's not very hidden. :D
Yay, you've found the clues "hidden" on the map! :D I wanted to have one of these, where the weakness is hidden, but since all are trait, this is as far as hiding them goes unfortunately.

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 5th, 2019, 10:55 pm FOV2: objectives say "turns run out", but no max turns listed (see also FOV3).
Sorry, accidentaly left in the turns over equals defeat message. It's a mistake, there is no turn limit on those maps.
white_haired_uncle wrote: FOV4: initial dialog is missing stuff. Maybe because there is no Morvian? The initial objectives are a little confusing, I have to hold out for some amount of time, but defeat if time runs out?
Same here. No, you just have to hold out until turns run out, but eventually defeating him yields victory as well. Morvian however spawns well for me. Do you mean you have no side 3 allied leader? I'd really much appreciate an attached replay.
white_haired_uncle wrote: I suspect you forgot to remove the X at 20.9 after it has been inspected.
Oh, OK. Next time please say which scenario you mean, I was still thinking about CT-3 instead of FOV-2. :mrgreen:
white_haired_uncle wrote: Help for Master Archer shows daze on longbow, but when you select a MA daze isn't shown on the right side of the screen.
Yes, I see that too. It's not a trivial fix, I don't yet know what's causing it. Daze seems to work fine with other units. But yes, MA is bugged :hmm:
white_haired_uncle wrote: Re: Cave of ghosts:
Spoiler:
I am sorry but I must ask - did you use debug mode's Kill Unit command to kill the ship? If yes, see spoiler:
gameplay spoilers:
If not, and you experienced this during normal gameplay, then that's worrying because I still can't reproduce it. I'd very very much appreciate an attached replay.