Scenario Review: Liberty 8 - Glory

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 8 - Glory

Post by Konrad2 » May 9th, 2018, 11:11 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Difficult, 1.14.0

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Very much.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I liked it.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Weird ally behavior. (Minor Challenge at most.)

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Some interactions between the Elensefar riders and Baldras.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.
Attachments
Liberty-Glory replay.gz
I ordered Helicrom to be defensive and to focus on protecting me. He sure doesn't know what that means.
(65.84 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan » October 26th, 2018, 5:53 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear, destroy the supports to take down Halstead

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- Love it. Along with HttT so far, this has to be one of the best endings in Wesnoth campaign. Where TSG failed after building a promising story, Libery redeemed it with this one and made one of the best endings. Plus the after level narration is good. The village does get sadly burned down, yet it shows the fear given by the people of Wesnoth who were forced to become outlaws for the greater good of kingdom

- Royal guards, yet if they weren't too suicidal, it'd have been much more challenging.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- Make Dommel and Royal Guards less sucidial by not going on the field but to stay behind the lines in the forts.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

- No

YanTanTethera

Post by YanTanTethera » January 3rd, 2019, 4:45 pm

Difficult, version 1.14.5.

4. With the help of the shadow mages, the Elensefarians and the orcs the defenders of the fortress were so distracted, that they opened up holes in their defense through which my outlaws and fugitives could easily sneak in order to blow up the fortress. I remember from former playthroughs, that without the help of the mages the scenario was a lot more difficult.

It would be nice to write the way to destroy the fortress into the objectives.

I found it both clear and interesting, although I would have wished for an earlier hint on some secret knowledge on how to destroy the fortress. Otherwise it seems like sheer madness, that Baldras marches his troops there. A second remark: maybe the orc army is a bit over the top, given the fact that orcs were fighting on the queen’s side before (Scenario 3 – A strategy of hope)

Uhm, finding gaps in the defensive lines for my outlaws to pass through. But I found them.

7, since it is an interesting task to sneak units through enemy ranks like that. And blowing up a fortress, too.

Maybe remove the orc army and make the Elensefarian knights a bit stronger instead.

No, there wasn’t, since Harper’s dead does not result in a lost game here. He did sadly not return from his venture into the fortress catacombs.

josteph
Developer

Post by josteph » January 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm

YanTanTethera wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 4:45 pm
A second remark: maybe the orc army is a bit over the top, given the fact that orcs were fighting on the queen’s side before (Scenario 3 – A strategy of hope)
It might be a different tribe than the one that's in Asheviere's service. It's not unusual for different orcish tribes to be on different sides.

YanTanTethera

Post by YanTanTethera » January 3rd, 2019, 7:19 pm

Thanks for the remark, I did not look at it like that before.

romans1x20

Post by romans1x20 » January 11th, 2019, 6:33 pm

My strategy is just divide my man heading east and west, storming the west together with horses. For the tunnels in the east I actually sneak in by the passable mountain tile, instead of the main gate. That saves lots of trouble as tough loyalists are gathering at the gate for the orcs. Don't know why the royal guard go out to slay the orcs. Finish in 14th turn.

normal

5 as no need to conserve units
350 gold
can recruit mages, no mage ally

ok

Very good. Epic battle of heir to throne, in contrast this a epic sneak. Suits the outlaw very much.

tough guards blocking the way

no
no

helling3r

Post by helling3r » July 25th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Hardest available, v1.14.5

10. In fact it was unwinnable for me at hard. I tried about 9 times with different tactics as well.

Very clear. The trapdoors are hidden by the guards, but it is clearly explained what the goal is. It may be an idea to have the trap doors empty at first and the first turn of the opponent mans them.

Very nice! I liked the emotional leaders duo with Harper.

I tried several tactics, from rush to very defensive to only take one flank first. Neither gave me victory.
I only had about 400 in gold and could recruit the mages. The horses came to my assistance a few turns after start.
Going into detail, if i had to split up my forces, i got wiped by the guards left in the castle. If i tried to hold off the reinforcements in hope the orcs could do more damage the coming night, they wiped me and i hadn't the ressources left to do anything meaningful.
When i one try tried to hold back very defensive and try to lure the one or other enemy into my retreated lines, the reinforcements coming every dawn piled up so much, there was no hope of winning left.

The only thing that let me win this scenario was to dial back the difficulty level one notch. There, it was a piece of cake and no problem at all.

9. The scenario is a lot of fun, especially because it is not one of the so many "kill enemy leader" ones. Instead, one has to carefully plan out his troop advancements and given the terrain, where, how, and when to attack. This gets even combined with another battle going on on the field, which may (or may not) distract enemy forces. It is tactically challenging and made me enjoy a lot of hours gotten beaten up :)
It would have been a 10 if i had any chance to win this in the first place (ok, i know the problem sits in front of the computer in this case, as others clearly made it in hard setting)

It was already a ton of fun. Maybe the friendly AI could act a little more toughtfully, because it threw horses consistently into spearheads.

In hard, i had to reload very often. I started from the beginning every time in those instances.
It seemed to be mostly the case that my army was wiped or severely damaged in only one or two turns, mostly because i placed my troops badly i think. However, if i place them defensively and attack solely at night, it turns out the reinforcements will wipe me a few turns later or reinforce the castle so strong that either AI is suppressed effectively and enough remains in the castle to make it unwinnable for me.