1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.14 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for the comments, Konrad2.
Konrad2 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 9:41 am It would be nice if there was some constant reminder that Carusoe can only be hit by Raenna. Even nicer would be a guaranteed hit when you attack him with Raenna. And/Or that him attacking her triggers the event as well. ^^
Ideally, the whole thing with Carusoe should be revised so as not to use that mechanic at all. I don't think there's any way for it to not be weird.
Konrad2 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 9:41 am Also, the Black Witches are (on their sprite at least) using spears, but their weapon is still called 'staff' and deals impact dmg.
It's a staff. :D
Konrad2 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 9:41 am Big Aerwan Steel Goods
Has no keep so I can't recruit/-call. (This happens after defeating Huric.)

BMR2-Big Aerwan Steel Goods-Auto-Save1.gz
(157.07 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

EDIT 3:
When I visit that place again, I do have a keep.
Also, after leaving the first time, one of the orcish cavalaries disappeared from the world map.
There is one that deliberately has no keep, I'll have to check it this is the one I am thinking of.
Konrad2 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 9:41 am Deep in green, snowfree Elfland, I've been attacked by northern animals. On a snowy map. I daresay that this is questionable. (I know, I had no buisness being there but...I got curious.)
Plans for the future that never quite happened. Maybe some day there will be a new skirmish scenario type. Give me a few more years...
Konrad2 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 9:41 am EDIT 5:
Snow Monkeys death sound is the human cavalery death sound.
Black Horsemans death sound is the troll death sound. xD
The way music was handled between scenarios changed a few versions ago, and then Wesnoth sounds stopped working for me, so all audio has been completely ignored for a while. Thanks for catching that.
Konrad2 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 9:41 am Is it intended that lvl 3 units can only choose one offensive and one defensive advancement now and only once? (Out of apparently up to 5 options. Looks like my units are so old, that those AMLA were not a thing when I recruited them.)

EDIT 7:
Checked the AMLA again, apparently defensive AMLA is only offered the first time and offensive AMLA is only offered the first two times. No matter what you choose. Witches are an exeption, as the decision war/peace takes up the first AMLA and they retain their spell AMLA forever.
I'll look at it again, but I'm not sure there's actually anything wrong here.
Konrad2 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 9:41 am The floating text after recruiting a new unit is waaaaay too fast.
I don't think I can control that, can I? Are such messages slower somewhere else?
Konrad2 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 9:41 am Mark/Unmakr unit: The Mark is almost invisible, both in the field and the recall list.
Maybe I just got used to it. I can look at it again.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

doofus-01 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 4:56 am
Konrad2 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 9:41 am The floating text after recruiting a new unit is waaaaay too fast.
I don't think I can control that, can I? Are such messages slower somewhere else?
E.g. the floating text after getting hit or getting healed. I do not know how to control the speed of your floating text, but I'm sure it is possible to control it. (It's also affected by game speed. So it's probably some kind of animation.)
(EDIT or when you pick up gold or items...)
...acutally, isn't the floating text redundant with the notice? The notice is doing a better job.

EDIT:
'devout' -> unit is unplageable
Maybe 'unplagueable'?
The description of 'zealous' is missing a period at the end of the sentence.
Also, both zealous and devout apply the unplagueable. Is there something to make sure that a unit does not have both traits? (I really wonder why those traits make the unit unplagueable.)

EDIT 2:
doofus-01 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 4:56 am
Konrad2 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 9:41 am Also, the Black Witches are (on their sprite at least) using spears, but their weapon is still called 'staff' and deals impact dmg.
It's a staff. :D
It's totally a spear! :( :( :(

EDIT 3:
The Pit
There are some places that are illuminated, but this is not visible on the map. (Around 15,62. Made my try to sneak past them with nightstalk into a joke. :/ )

EDIT 4:
Ruin
There is no 'Turns run out' defeat condition. Is that intentional?
Also, this happened after Belleros said something about it being almost too easy. (Astreya appeared with a keep too, but she didn't say anything.)
screen.png

EDIT 5:
Black Cloak (and advancements) make the 'slow' sound when they hit with melee.
'Ruin' uses a normal day/night cyclus.

EDIT 6:
The text that appears upon evacuating a Civilian disappears too fast as well. I have no ide a what it says.
The surviving Orcs following me after their leader died was cool. Not so cool was that I couldn't recruit/-call at least some Orcs (symbolising the rest of his troops which he didn't call into battle).

EDIT 7:
It's somewhat confusing that the 'southern pass' that's meant in the scenario objective (world map) 'Flee to the Southern Pass' is not the hex labeled as 'southern pass', but 3 hexes further south. ._.

EDIT 8:
A new Home
'Turns run out' is missing from the Defeat conditions until the Orc leader arrives.
The Victory condition is 'Defeat Orcish Pursuers' and I feel that 'Defeat the/your Orcish Pursuers' or 'Defeat the Skoro Chieftain' sounds better. :D

EDIT 9:
Shouldn't Valerons Death be another Defeat condition?

EDIT 10:
The item 'Silver Sword' doesn't seem to work.
BMR2-A New Home-Auto-Save19.gz
(Inventory)
(242.37 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Konrad2 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 8:20 am E.g. the floating text after getting hit or getting healed. I do not know how to control the speed of your floating text, but I'm sure it is possible to control it. (It's also affected by game speed. So it's probably some kind of animation.)
(EDIT or when you pick up gold or items...)
...acutally, isn't the floating text redundant with the notice? The notice is doing a better job.
I don't think it can be controlled, the different speeds are due to something else. I don't think they were always so fast, but I don't know when the change happened.
Konrad2 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 8:20 am Also, both zealous and devout apply the unplagueable. Is there something to make sure that a unit does not have both traits? (I really wonder why those traits make the unit unplagueable.)
Double unplagueable is still just unplagueable. As for why unplagueable, it matters against the khthon and there is some story-bound explanation. It wasn't intended as some cool new trait to be admired in isolation.
Konrad2 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 8:20 am EDIT 3:
The Pit
There are some places that are illuminated, but this is not visible on the map. (Around 15,62. Made my try to sneak past them with nightstalk into a joke. :/ )
Fair enough, but you can preview where you lose nightstalk before you commit to moving.
Konrad2 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 8:20 am EDIT 4:
Ruin
There is no 'Turns run out' defeat condition. Is that intentional?
I don't remember, I'll have to check. For several scenarios, there is no turn limit at first, so sometimes it is intentional.
Konrad2 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 8:20 am Also, this happened after Belleros said something about it being almost too easy. (Astreya appeared with a keep too, but she didn't say anything.)
That's definitely a bug, affects hardest difficulty mode. Will be fixed, thanks. If you continue playing the scenario after such an error (any scenario with a Lua error, not just this add-on), things will be broken. It lets you continue to play for some reason, but it is effectively a crash.
Konrad2 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 8:20 am EDIT 10:

(Inventory)
Hmm, it used to work, I'll look into it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

doofus-01 wrote: December 8th, 2018, 12:29 pm
Konrad2 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 8:20 am EDIT 10:

(Inventory)
Hmm, it used to work, I'll look into it.
I got this item after the Lua bug, so it might have been caused by it.
(Also, could I give you a save file to edit and fix, so I can continue playing?)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Konrad2 wrote: December 8th, 2018, 4:01 pm I got this item after the Lua bug, so it might have been caused by it.
(Also, could I give you a save file to edit and fix, so I can continue playing?)
Ah, I see. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to fix the file... There can be so many things broken, we'd be playing whack-a-mole.
However, if you can give me the start-of-scenario save for Ruin, I could use it to test the later scenarios (I've lost all my saves) and post my save for the last scenario, or whatever one it was you wanted to fix.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I'm basically just hoping to play 'Ruin' without that bug. That way the later scenarios won't be broken and I can keep playing unworried.
I guess if you'd tell me how to fix that bug by modifying the scenario file or if you upload the fix, then that would work too.
Attachments
BMR2-Ruin.gz
(90.76 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Could someone post a walkthrough or a replay for BMR1 S1 (Abandoned)? I can't figure out how to get kill the Skeleton and Revenant at the end. (The Skeleton can kill the Footpad in one turn and I assume there's a better solution than just having the Footpad attack the Skeleton and hoping it survives the counter-attack.)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Konrad2 wrote: December 9th, 2018, 11:02 am I'm basically just hoping to play 'Ruin' without that bug. That way the later scenarios won't be broken and I can keep playing unworried.
I guess if you'd tell me how to fix that bug by modifying the scenario file or if you upload the fix, then that would work too.
Around line 800 of 1_09_Ruin.cfg is the offending unit type, replace the "Shroud" with "Master".

Code: Select all

#ifdef HARD
        {GENERIC_UNIT 2 "Phantom Soldier" 19 9}
        {GENERIC_UNIT 2 "Phantom Master" 21 9}
#endif

I'll try to update later this evening.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Ruin
I took a look at the code because side 4's gold increased pretty much every turn instead of decreasing and found the reason for that together with the note 'make it very hard to kill this guy, you're supposed to run away'. And it's not really hard to kill him, because he leaves his keep easily whenever he can hit a unit with his ranged attack when there is no chance to be hit back. Which can happen as early as the first turn and is pretty much bound to happen before you pass him.
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

I know I am off subject, but when I started Trinity, my khthon (who I made sure were suppost to enthrall) only killed their victims. Now I know I was using 1.12 (1.13? Trinity
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.' Aragorn to Eomer The Lord of the Rings
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

Sorry guys didn’t mean to post that yet, take 2. I know I am off subject, but when I started Trinity, my khthon (who I made sure were suppost to enthrall) only killed their victims. (Now I know I was using the 1.12 engine but this is more of a question than a bug report.) I found the problem was in one of the Archaic Era utils (I am sorry I cannot recall the name.) the error. was caused by a lack of:[status] in
[filter]
[status]
unplagueable=no

just wanted to check if that is just an upgrade in the 1.14 engine or if it needed fixed.
thanks doofus for making such a great campaign! :D
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.' Aragorn to Eomer The Lord of the Rings
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

josteph wrote: December 9th, 2018, 12:06 pm Could someone post a walkthrough or a replay for BMR1 S1 (Abandoned)? I can't figure out how to get kill the Skeleton and Revenant at the end. (The Skeleton can kill the Footpad in one turn and I assume there's a better solution than just having the Footpad attack the Skeleton and hoping it survives the counter-attack.)
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I don't have a replay right now. I can say that the first part does have some issue with RNG luck, because you have so few units. The upside is that each turn is pretty quick. The footpad can weaken/kill the skeleton with ranged attack, but it's easy to get nailed. I planned to hide a torch somewhere, I don't remember if I implemented it though.
Konrad2 wrote: December 11th, 2018, 6:46 am Ruin
I took a look at the code because side 4's gold increased pretty much every turn instead of decreasing and found the reason for that together with the note 'make it very hard to kill this guy, you're supposed to run away'. And it's not really hard to kill him, because he leaves his keep easily whenever he can hit a unit with his ranged attack when there is no chance to be hit back. Which can happen as early as the first turn and is pretty much bound to happen before you pass him.
Who knows when that comment was valid, I'm not sure it really matters if that guy gets killed. However, it would be better if the AI weren't such an idiot, I'll look into it. Thanks.
Dragon-Friend wrote: December 12th, 2018, 3:30 am I know I am off subject, but when I started Trinity, my khthon (who I made sure were suppost to enthrall) only killed their victims. (Now I know I was using the 1.12 engine but this is more of a question than a bug report.) I found the problem was in one of the Archaic Era utils (I am sorry I cannot recall the name.) the error. was caused by a lack of:[status]in
[filter]
[status]
unplagueable=no

just wanted to check if that is just an upgrade in the 1.14 engine or if it needed fixed.
thanks doofus for making such a great campaign! :D
Thanks for the kind words (even if they are in the wrong thread ;) ). I recall there was some issue around that, I'm not surprised using 1.12 engine leads to problems. I think that's working fine in 1.14, but I'm less sure about the campaign as a whole, that's why I haven't uploaded it to 1.14 yet.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.10.4 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.14 server. I think I've fixed most of what was mentioned recently.
change-log
P3 Snowblind - string correction

P3 - adding an alternate route for Belleros to get around Raenna's an…

P1 S1 - adding torch, so this scenario and next are a bit easier

increase visibility of user-placed marker overlay

P2 Ruin - make side 4 [ai] passive_leader=yes [/ai]

some corrections to equipment

P2 Ruin - fixing unkown unit type error

add missing child civilian portraits
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

doofus-01, thanks for the answer and the fix. I'll try 1.10.4, and if part 1 is still too hard then I'll :debug my way through and try part 2.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Ruin (probably still on 1.10.3)
No note regarding the carry over percentage or if there is an early finish bonus.
No 'turns run out' in the scenario objectives.
The ghosts are apparently very uncomfortable with advancing past the river.
The 'turns run out'-defeat message would do better if it was backed up by some visible arriving orcs.

World Map after Ruin
The sun shines despite it being winter (which means that the sun won't rise until spring comes).

EDIT:
That's new.
That's new.

EDIT 2:
A New Home
The Victory Conditions end with a period, which is, well, untypical?

EDIT 3:
No 'this is the last scenario, spend all your gold' hint. :/ It would have been good to know that there won't be a carry over to the 'next' scenario, so the player won't end this one with 812 gold left. Which makes a lot of difference in the way you play of course. ^^

EDIT 4:
When 'straying' into the souther forest, the elves say that I have to die, but they appear as an allied side.
Upon defeating the Lich, the 'Turns run out' part of the defeat conditions disappear, the turn limit is still in effect.
Also, I can finally see the unit type of upgraded witches. Hooray!

EDIT 5:
Can you tell me which of those two Commados I've 'marked'?
Now I've noticed the new mark.

EDIT 6:
Which does the ghost side have a huge amount of money if they do not get a keep to recruit units? They don't do anything after the initial units die.

EDIT 7:
Epilogue
The elvish Marshall appears as enemy unit.

EDIT 8:
BMR3 - Sc1
Am I storywise supposed to defeat the Primevalists? Because you can win this scenario just find without doing so.

I'll be taking a break from BMR and finish TRoW first.