Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

lhaire

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by lhaire »

I have an elf juggernaut with LoTF, but after equipping him with a particular bow I lost both the hit and run and parry abilities for ranged attacks only. Any hints as to how I can get these abilities back? I'm not familiar with the technical inner workings of where this type of data is stored.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Which bow? What other bows have you tried? I have definitely seen a bug where some specials were replace instead of append, although I don't remember if it related to equipment.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

musicc wrote: October 23rd, 2018, 1:20 am Dugi,

attached is a loyal upkeep bug save file. loyal units still cost upkeep.
He doesn't cost upkeep. I killed him and the balance didn't change.
lhaire wrote: October 24th, 2018, 1:49 am I have an elf juggernaut with LoTF, but after equipping him with a particular bow I lost both the hit and run and parry abilities for ranged attacks only. Any hints as to how I can get these abilities back? I'm not familiar with the technical inner workings of where this type of data is stored.

Which bow? I can't replicate it if I don't know what's the problem.
musicc

Post by musicc »

Dugi,

Start the scenero over and recruit regular unit. You will see the same cost as you have without loyal unit.
lhaire

Post by lhaire »

dabber wrote: October 24th, 2018, 1:54 pm Which bow? What other bows have you tried? I have definitely seen a bug where some specials were replace instead of append, although I don't remember if it related to equipment.
Currently, I'm using the Predator but I've tried just about every bow possible including no bow at all. Doesn't matter what I try now, I can't get those abilities back :(
lhaire

Post by lhaire »

Dugi wrote: October 24th, 2018, 3:15 pm
lhaire wrote: October 24th, 2018, 1:49 am I have an elf juggernaut with LoTF, but after equipping him with a particular bow I lost both the hit and run and parry abilities for ranged attacks only. Any hints as to how I can get these abilities back? I'm not familiar with the technical inner workings of where this type of data is stored.

Which bow? I can't replicate it if I don't know what's the problem.
I've been playing around with altering the advancement of the unit and it looks like I found the real reason why I lost these abilities. It wasn't the switch in weapon at all. When advancing if I choose the advancement "shooting insanely precisely" this is when the unit loses the parry and hit & run abilities for ranged weapons. If I choose any other advancement then the unit retains those abilities.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Yup, that's a bug in the unit file. When adding marksman, the file says replace instead of append. It should say

Code: Select all

[set_specials]
mode=append
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MARKSMAN}
[/set_specials]
iridium137

Post by iridium137 »

Here's another save file with the loyal unit problem. In the recall list, there's a loyal poacher called Cethoc. If you recall him, the income drops from +2 to +1.
Attachments
loyal.gz
(256.93 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

iridium137 wrote: October 25th, 2018, 5:26 am Here's another save file with the loyal unit problem. In the recall list, there's a loyal poacher called Cethoc. If you recall him, the income drops from +2 to +1.
Yeah. I have found the cause and fixed it. Manipulating his inventory can fix it before I release the incremental update.
dabber wrote: October 25th, 2018, 4:40 am Yup, that's a bug in the unit file. When adding marksman, the file says replace instead of append. It should say

Code: Select all

[set_specials]
mode=append
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MARKSMAN}
[/set_specials]
Where it is? I could not find any occurrence of mode=replace in Predator.cfg or amla.cfg. The shooting insanely precisely advancement appends the weapon special as it should.
lhaire wrote: October 24th, 2018, 10:11 pm ...
Currently, I'm using the Predator but I've tried just about every bow possible including no bow at all. Doesn't matter what I try now, I can't get those abilities back :(
If the stuff dabber wrote is true, it can't be fixed retroactively without giving me the save file for editing.
musicc

Post by musicc »

Dugi wrote: October 25th, 2018, 2:58 pm
iridium137 wrote: October 25th, 2018, 5:26 am Here's another save file with the loyal unit problem. In the recall list, there's a loyal poacher called Cethoc. If you recall him, the income drops from +2 to +1.
Yeah. I have found the cause and fixed it. Manipulating his inventory can fix it before I release the incremental update.

Awesome. Looking foward for your new update.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Dugi, I believe I just did a pull request on github to fix lhaire's problem. First time I've submitted something via github, so I might have messed it up.

I think changing that one file will fix lhaire's game.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

dabber wrote: October 26th, 2018, 12:29 pm Dugi, I believe I just did a pull request on github to fix lhaire's problem. First time I've submitted something via github, so I might have messed it up.

I think changing that one file will fix lhaire's game.
It seems to be all right.
jimis

Post by jimis »

Dugi wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 9:58 pm
jimis wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 6:10 pm What is the "backup_amla" that I see inside the save game files in many characters, together with the description "Oops, this is only temporary, or something went wrong"?
You asked for it.

This is a workaround around an issue that was causing wesnoth to require a 25 GHz GaAs processor to run smoothly. I have found that the quantity of AMLA options units have affects reduces the performance and appears to be read in every frame render. Furthermore, it is a lot of stuff saved in every save file. There is no practical way to modify it. So I figured out a trick that every AMLA-feasible playable unit has two versions. One of them has all the advancements and isn't present in the game normally. The other type has only one dummy advancement to make the game understand it has AMLA (the dummy_amla) and is replaced by the all-advancements type when it advances and reverted back afterwards. This allows stuffing loads of advancements into the units without degrading the performance. There are even advancements for every single legacy and every single advancement-granting book that has a prerequisite unlocked only by code (that is the only practical way to modify advancement options) and it works smoothly because never more than one unit can have this version participating in the game and even that lasts only for a short while.
Nice hack!

I am diff'ing the two "Delly" Lichs in my savegame and noticing the differences. AFAICT the only difference is that one is post-advancement, and the other is pre-advancement, might be because the unit had just (AMLA) advanced. The "backup_amla" advancement exists in both, and I see no "dummy_amla".
Dugi wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 9:58 pm
jimis wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 6:10 pm And after a hero character (for example Delly as Preserved Lich) manages to AMLA-levelup, how much is the max XP increased? For Delly I believe I see 20% increments.
Maximum hitpoints increases by 3 unless the advancement specifically affects the amount of maximum hitpoints the unit has.

The amount of maximum experience increase is 20% for legacies, item-related advancements and advancements of usual units. Advancements of preserved liches add 5% to the total and then add 22 on normal, 20 on easy and 25 on hard. Advancements of units described as demigods adds 35 on normal, 30 on easy, 40 on hard, plus 9% of total on top of that. I tuned these numbers to have the curves develop like I found it suitable using Excel, these aren't random values.
So if I give the usual "faster" advancement (1 extra MP) to a preserved lich, it will increase its max XP by 20%? I believe this is what I'm noticing, and since the XP of the lich was already very high, this increase was very noticeable. Giving the "faster" (or other usual) advancement several times at this stage, increases the max XP way too much.

BTW how do you suggest I install the git-master version of your campaign in Wesnoth? Just remove the standard add-on and checkout your github repository directly inside the "1.14/data/add-ons" directory?
gwen42

Post by gwen42 »

gwen42 wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 11:23 pm
Dugi wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 3:21 pm
gwen42 wrote: October 4th, 2018, 3:08 amI have not been able to keep any units alive during this scenario, other than the two heroes, and with their health not restoring after defensive upgrades, it's been tricky keeping even those two alive. (I really hope that made sense)
I could not replicate it in your save file. I got Efraim to levelup and he healed as he should. I am using wesnoth 1.14.3 on Ubuntu 18.04. Maybe something broke between Wesnoth versions?
Very strange...
I now have a replay where this happens.... The upgrade happens at turn 6. Lethalia levels up when the orcs attack, then loses the health when her turn starts.
LotI2-Heart Mountains replay.gz
(141.32 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
dabber

Post by dabber »

Bug report: In scenario chapter 8 10_Ruins_of_Wesnoth, the spawning demon leaders have no traits.

Its possible I reported this one a long time ago, so I created a Github bug to track it. Maybe it was fixed and I don't have the proper update, but I'm playing with differences from the github version that I haven't properly merged.
Last edited by dabber on October 29th, 2018, 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.