I like the proposed bloodbind mechanic
7%
I like the proposed bloodpool mechanic
10%
I like the idea that vampires would have indirect means of influence
7%
I like the idea that there would be a lot of custom abilities
10%
I'd like it if the player was only able to recruit support units, and no vampires
7%
I'd like severe daytime penalties as a balancing mechanic
7%
I think all vampires should start as level 2 units
7%
I think making vampires expensive is a good balancing mechanic
7%
I think the vampire in the very red armour needs to be shorter
3%
I like how this faction seems to be developing so far
7%
I'd prefer it if this faction was eventually split into distinct vampire factions
3%

Total votes: 29

eurydike

Bloodlegacy (vampire faction) & art

Post by eurydike »

Note: You can select any number of options in the poll
Rewritten contents for the initial post

Briefing
Spoiler:
Recruits partially set by choice of leader unit (also random):
Spoiler:
Inclusion of support units into the faction:
Spoiler:
Bloodbind - subjugation of minions
Spoiler:
Bloodpool - a resource system for special abilities
Spoiler:
Custom abilities, indirect ways of influencing the outcomes
Spoiler:
Inability to recruit vampires? ( currently abandoned aspect )
Spoiler:
Grave schedule penalties
Spoiler:
Making vampires expensive and/or start as level 2 units
Spoiler:
Any suggestions about different kinds of special abilities would be welcome, as a well as all kinds of ideas and feedback about the artwork.

Current status of the unit tree:
advancement_tree_2.png

Individual unitlines

Spellcaster line, various advancements (no names yet)
Spoiler:

Japanese vampire line (no names yet)
Spoiler:

Teutonic dress (no names yet)
Spoiler:

Female knight, B&W armor (no names for unit yet)
Spoiler:

Victorian dress (no names yet)
Spoiler:

Rogue, illusionist
Spoiler:

Vampire knight (spear) (no name yet)
Spoiler:

Vampire knight (sword) (no name yet, except probably knight)
Spoiler:
Last edited by eurydike on November 18th, 2018, 10:28 pm, edited 24 times in total.
eurydike

Sorry for posting reply

Post by eurydike »

Sorry for posting reply to my own thread, but due to the imagelimit I'm making a comment so I can attach additional images to the thread....... :whistle:

Here's a vampire with clothing for high class japanese:
vampire_6.png
vampire_6.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 7334 times
Here's another one with partially roman costume, and some artifacts:
vampire_7.png
vampire_7.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 7316 times
ghype

Re: New Vampire Faction & Art

Post by ghype »

for showing more than 5 sprite in one post, you could create a grid system showing multiple sprite.

as for your vampire in the first sprite, i think they are pretty convincing, you can see they are vampires. They are still not wesnoth-ish but that is not a bad thing. it means you developed your own style and I guess I couldn create sprites from srcatch with such details.

as for the last two sprites, they seem a bit off if they should fid in the vampire theme. you could consider creating another faction with those since they look very good, but do not fid with the vampires.

on a last note, if you plan to actually make an add-on with these, you should try to include TC at some point to your sprite.
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

ghype wrote: October 7th, 2018, 2:17 pm for showing more than 5 sprite in one post, you could create a grid system showing multiple sprite.

as for your vampire in the first sprite, i think they are pretty convincing, you can see they are vampires. They are still not wesnoth-ish but that is not a bad thing. it means you developed your own style and I guess I couldn create sprites from srcatch with such details.

as for the last two sprites, they seem a bit off if they should fid in the vampire theme. you could consider creating another faction with those since they look very good, but do not fid with the vampires.

on a last note, if you plan to actually make an add-on with these, you should try to include TC at some point to your sprite.
I think you're right that the characters don't look very vampiric, and so it does a raise a question of can they convincingly be labeled as such, or if they should have some more visible cues of being vampires.. I think they might do as they are. Actually I kind of forgot about TC at first, but since I had made a couple units without them, I thought I'll think about it once I have some more units done and see if there's a way to like have something in common in the way they're team colored.. Thanks for the reminder though. I'll probably do some more along these lines.. I should try to probably look at ways of making advancement lines for these units, since they're so different can't say that one could advance from the other. With regards to that current idea is that I'll try and make new versions that make sense in terms of progression, like the vampire woman with the roman costume, there could be perhaps a roman woman with less fancier attire.. Also thinking about some other areas of origin for the appearances, like the victorian dress could be English, the Roman could go with Byzantine styles, the Teutonic woman could have some other germanic units around, I also want to think about something from the East, and then there's Japanese high class woman, obvious choice would be to look for ordinary outfits.... I'm not sure. But I like these pictures, I'm surprised I could do them. Especially the 'evolution' of the minotaurs (in the other thread)... Well I don't know. Hmm anyone got any suggestions about what to do with this vampire faction? :|
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well I would suggest that the sprites right now look like upper classes units which you could get around the "vampire look" with that excuse.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

These look nice. Critic however is that you don't see the weapon and equipment. You should add a shadow to the blades.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

Heindal wrote: October 7th, 2018, 6:35 pm These look nice. Critic however is that you don't see the weapon and equipment. You should add a shadow to the blades.
I'll try and add some outlines if possible.. but it might be difficult especially for the 3rd image, because the direction the sword is pointing at is difficult... In the meanwhile I made an another japanese style female vampire image.. The idea here is that this one will advance into the previous one. For conveniency I'll place both images to this comment

Now first level also done:
vampire_9.png
vampire_9.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 7209 times
So she will advance:
vampire_8.png
vampire_8.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
She's the higher level one:
vampire_6.png
vampire_6.png (3.16 KiB) Viewed 7222 times
Actually I just tried adding a greengrass background for the first and third image, I think it was probably that the forum background being very light makes them hard to discern (apparently I got the shadow layer on the ground behind the grass for these):
vampire_greengrass.png
vampire_greengrass.png (10.99 KiB) Viewed 7219 times
vampire_3_greengrass.png
vampire_3_greengrass.png (11.01 KiB) Viewed 7219 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I like them. Try them on different undergrounds, for example darker or grey undergrounds or create units and test them in a live game.
I also like the geisha ladies. There not many civilians in this game.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
ghype

Post by ghype »

i dont recall wether you made the decision to split these into two factions or keep em as one big multicultural vampire faction.
if you want to keep them as one faction, there as big difference betweem the head sizes of the armored and eastern vampires.
just on a side note.
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

Heindal wrote: October 13th, 2018, 11:26 am I like them. Try them on different undergrounds, for example darker or grey undergrounds or create units and test them in a live game.
They're not Geisha ladies, but of course it's impossible to tell without knowledge on the matter. Before drawing the images I did brief study online on these outfits from a website I found about historic costumes in Japan. The first two of the japanese vampire line are commoners in outfits from Edo era. The third is a young unmarried noblewoman and the fourth is an attire for the royal court.

Here's the website I used as a reference for the images:
http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/index.htm

And here are the actual references:
4 lvl - http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/1.htm
4 lvl - http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/14.htm
3 lvl - http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/20.htm
2 lvl - http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/8.htm
1 lvl - http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/4.htm
1 lvl - http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/3.htm

For comparison here's an image for an example geisha attire from the same website:
http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/31.htm
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

ghype wrote: October 13th, 2018, 12:15 pm i dont recall wether you made the decision to split these into two factions or keep em as one big multicultural vampire faction.
if you want to keep them as one faction, there as big difference betweem the head sizes of the armored and eastern vampires.
just on a side note.
Any such difference in the headsize is just due to.. umm well my lack of talent, difficulty of having a limited number of pixels to use, and also having more emphasis on different types of hair. Is there some particular difference you find most weird?
ghype

Post by ghype »

I see you did your homework. isn't it quite exciting doing all these researches?

I did the same for my vikings, trying to make the as accurate as possible, researches what armor,weapons they prefered, what social strucutures they are, fighting strategies which I tried to implement in abilities and specials and so on ... it was very exciting.
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

ghype wrote: October 13th, 2018, 12:32 pm I see you did your homework. isn't it quite exciting doing all these researches?

I did the same for my vikings, trying to make the as accurate as possible, researches what armor,weapons they prefered, what social strucutures they are, fighting strategies which I tried to implement in abilities and specials and so on ... it was very exciting.
It is! Agreed! ^_^
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

eurydike wrote: October 13th, 2018, 12:26 pm
Heindal wrote: October 13th, 2018, 11:26 am I like them. Try them on different undergrounds, for example darker or grey undergrounds or create units and test them in a live game.
They're not Geisha ladies, but of course it's impossible to tell without knowledge on the matter. Before drawing the images I did brief study online on these outfits from a website I found about historic costumes in Japan. The first two of the japanese vampire line are commoners in outfits from Edo era. The third is a young unmarried noblewoman and the fourth is an attire for the royal court.
Shame on me, I should have known better. That's my uncultivated comment for now :lol:.
These costumes reminded me of Ghost in the Shell "Geisha-Bots" and the costumes used in the film 'Geisha'.
One is easy to be manipulated by these pictures. I became a victim of framing or 'manipulation by affiliation'.

You might want to see the 'Samurai Champloo', which plays in the edo era, but mixed with modern slang.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Champloo
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

Currently consider label and abilities for the rogue line and the other lines as well, but for this comment I'll put up some thoughts about the rogue.. Also haven't figured out an appropriate label for the level3 rogue, but level2 can be just.. rogue. Vampire Rogue that is.
vampire_16_rogue.png
vampire_16_rogue.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 7006 times
Rogue (level 2)
Concealment
Skirmish at night (yet to be named)
Sabotage of some sort, currently thinking they could place somekind of disadvantage on units in villages
Advances to illusionist
vampire_17_illusionist.png
vampire_17_illusionist.png (1.9 KiB) Viewed 7006 times
Illusionist (level 3)
Adv. Concealment - also hides at hexes adjacent to villages if it's night
Skirmish at night (yet to be named)
Sabotage of some sort (same as above)
Also receives some defensive ability, such that opponents have less strikes (similar to Deep Elves stardust for an example, but called illusion instead)
Also some sort of illusion type debuff that weakens opponent in some way (such as all adjacent enemies get -10% cth for an example)

Any thoughts about these? Currently the idea is that the rogue is directly recruitable as level2 and there's no level1 unit.