If wesnoth becomes a well known game..

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DoT

If wesnoth becomes a well known game..

Post by DoT »

What are you guys planning on doing when/if wesnoth becomes a well known game..

I was thinking it be pretty cool if there was different "lobbys/channels" a person could join... this could also start "clans" for wesnoth.. just an idea.. i'm sure you guys discussed this i just want to know the outcome..

I mean this game is one of the best free softwares i've played.. i'm sure with advertisement it'd become popular..

When i say well known i mean a lot more players online playing wesnoth.
And who's to care
If I grow my hair to the sky
I'll take a wish and a prayer
Cross my fingers
Cause I always get by
Disto

Post by Disto »

Any advertising projects would/will start when Wesnoth reacher 1.0, i'm sure it would be advertised at big online game sites so plenty of people would see it. There would be clans as players would nodoubtably start them anyway.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

From discussions of clans in the past, it can be inferred that most of the developers look upon them with scorn. :) But they'll pop up anyway.

The best thing that could be done to the MP lobby would be making it basically an IRC room (or whatever it's called). So people could start their own rooms, have 1 on 1 discussions with people, etc.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Moving this since it's more of a question than an idea....

Anyhow, I think that different rooms/channels on the Wesnoth server would be a reasonable idea. Having most of the features of common chat programs would be nice, though it is quite alot of development effort.

The most important thing we need in terms of multiplayer, though, is a stable, scalable server. At the moment the server starts having trouble when there are too many users logged in. I think the server is going to need to be able to handle hundreds of users and at least a hundred games.

However, I think that the single player version of Wesnoth is what the majority of people will play. We should perhaps have another poll, but last time we had one, it was shown that a strong majority of players prefer single player to multiplayer.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
pravin

Post by pravin »

Dave wrote:Anyhow, I think that different rooms/channels on the Wesnoth server would be a reasonable idea.
One idea is that we could have rooms like Newbies, Average, Great for different levels of players. We could have 1-1 room for people wanting to play 1-1 games and similarly 2-2 and 3-3 rooms. The devs can decide on the names.
Dave wrote:We should perhaps have another poll, but last time we had one, it was shown that a strong majority of players prefer single player to multiplayer.
I like playing multiplayer :P
A warrior may die a thousand deaths,
An empire dies but one.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Dave wrote:Having most of the features of common chat programs would be nice, though it is quite alot of development effort.
The features of many chat programs include possibility to send troyans, etc. This would be good to avoid.

Just of curiosity: is it possible now to upload an infected binary file to campaign cerver? Someone could make a troyan, include it with campaign files, and hope that some player will accidentally click on the file. The name of file could be e.g. "Elvish nice lady.png.exe"... certainly some people would look into images directory and click it.
silene

Post by silene »

Viliam wrote:is it possible now to upload an infected binary file to campaign server?
Yes.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Viliam wrote:is it possible now to upload an infected binary file to campaign cerver?
As long as it's GPLed. :wink:

As a technical matter, I believe that would be possible, although obviously only users of a certain platform would be able to run the binary.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Viliam wrote: Just of curiosity: is it possible now to upload an infected binary file to campaign cerver? Someone could make a troyan, include it with campaign files, and hope that some player will accidentally click on the file. The name of file could be e.g. "Elvish nice lady.png.exe"... certainly some people would look into images directory and click it.
Although this is possible, I don't think it'd be a very effective way to spread a virus.

It's likely that one of the first players who looked at it would notice, especially since our users use a broad variety of platforms. Then this user would likely report it, and the file would be removed.

Also, one can do the same thing by using our previous method of distributing user campaigns: by distributing them in zip files.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
fabi
Inactive Developer

take it from others

Post by fabi »

Dave wrote: Anyhow, I think that different rooms/channels on the Wesnoth server would be a reasonable idea. Having most of the features of common chat programs would be nice, though it is quite alot of development effort.
David
There are many chat systems out there which are lisenced under GPL.
Both server and client code could be taken from them.
Isn't that the idea of open source at all ?
You don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Greetings, Fabi
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: take it from others

Post by Dave »

fabi wrote:
Dave wrote: Anyhow, I think that different rooms/channels on the Wesnoth server would be a reasonable idea. Having most of the features of common chat programs would be nice, though it is quite alot of development effort.
David
There are many chat systems out there which are lisenced under GPL.
Both server and client code could be taken from them.
Isn't that the idea of open source at all ?
You don't have to reinvent the wheel.
The most difficult part, by far, is the interface. Not the network code.

We are yet to find any interface code which can be easily and effectively reused in Wesnoth.

David
defsy

Post by defsy »

Dave wrote:We are yet to find any interface code which can be easily and effectively reused in Wesnoth.
I'm not sure if I understand what you are looking for,
but did you have a look at ParaGUI?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

defsy wrote:
Dave wrote:We are yet to find any interface code which can be easily and effectively reused in Wesnoth.
I'm not sure if I understand what you are looking for,
but did you have a look at ParaGUI?
Yes, we are aware of ParaGUI.

David
Mu

Post by Mu »

Dave wrote: However, I think that the single player version of Wesnoth is what the majority of people will play. We should perhaps have another poll, but last time we had one, it was shown that a strong majority of players prefer single player to multiplayer.
I think people starts playing single player (campaigns). But if someone continue playing, we will finish the main campaigns, and maybe he will finish all the users campaigns or get bored of them. I think multiplayer is a natural evolution for people who have played a lot.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Mu wrote:I think people starts playing single player (campaigns). But if someone continue playing, we will finish the main campaigns, and maybe he will finish all the users campaigns or get bored of them.
Or maybe he'll go back and beat them all in Hard mode! And then in Easy and then Hard with no losses! And once he's done that he can play easy and hard with no losses recruiting only the worst unit type for the scenario and never recalling! And once he's done that he can be dead of old age!

No-one can ever run out of single player.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.