The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BTIsaac

Re: The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Post by BTIsaac »

So yeah. Played reinforcements yesterday and my experience was EXACTLY what was described on the previous page. Saurian leader dying all the time, had to kill at least 40 enemies using debug, finished on the last turn. Not helped by the fact that none of the units I'm given are in any way suitable for fighting undead.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

For the record, you can use a crowd of druids against the skeletons and hope that the intelligent/dexterous ones can be promoted quickly to Enchantresses (and then it's wo-wee!) but it requires a lot of luck (and savescumming) to make it work if you want to defeat the undead leader within the time limit.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

You do have some faerie fire from the start, though it's on leader units so you can't be reckless with it. (The queen also gets it in the upcoming version.) On easy mode you also get a druid from the start and possibly an enchantress (can't quite recall) in the upcoming version. The entire scenario is getting some rebalancing as well, and I'm testing it on medium (I think previously I tested on easy), so hopefully it'll be much more beatable.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Only the one leader has faerie fire and he starts very far from the action. The one chocobone will just nail him any time but at full daylight.

Is the new version going to be in BfW 1.12 or will I simply have to *sighs theatrically* make an effort and download and install 1.4?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

The new version will not be in 1.12, but at the rate I'm working it might not even be on 1.14 before the end of the month, so there's no hurry. :)
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

So I can continue to playtest/be addicted to Ani's Legacy and tell myself that I'm really putting together ideas for my own campaign. Nice!
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I'll also post in this thread whenever I actually upload it, with a complete changelog.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Yeah, only one leader has fairy fire, , and since i need to kill 6-10 enemies a turn to even stand a chance, it's not helping much.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

It's finally here! Version 2.0 is now uploaded to the 1.14 add-ons server!

Since there's a huge amount of changes, I've enclosed the changelog in spoiler tags this time. (There are in fact actual spoilers in the changelog, too.) You can also now view a full changelog (for all published versions) on my GitHub repository.
Changelog:
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

I was going to stream anime but instead I'll first download your mod. I hope that reinforcements from Analandoloron is now winnable without the insane amount of savescumming my projections indicated. Woo!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Initiates
Some undead campaigns have remove Human WC with no XP after every scenario. Maybe you can do the same for Initiates without xp and special trait/ability/whatever?

Giant Bat
Why are you not using {AMLA_DEFAULT} for that one? The unit can't advance like this. :(
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Konrad2 wrote: August 5th, 2018, 9:37 am Initiates
Some undead campaigns have remove Human WC with no XP after every scenario. Maybe you can do the same for Initiates without xp and special trait/ability/whatever?
Interesting idea... so basically, if it's a vanilla initiate with 0 XP, remove it on victory? I think I can do that.
Konrad2 wrote: August 5th, 2018, 9:37 am Giant Bat
Why are you not using {AMLA_DEFAULT} for that one? The unit can't advance like this. :(
I think that's probably just an oversight? As far as I can recall, there's no particular reason for it; I don't think it actually matters, since it's just a monster unit you encounter, but I suppose monsters do occasionally manage to advance.
Sadaharu wrote: August 5th, 2018, 3:54 am I hope that reinforcements from Analandoloron is now winnable without the insane amount of savescumming my projections indicated. Woo!
Well, I did manage to win it without save-scumming, though I had to replay some turns. And I wasn't even really being that careful or anything.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

S1: ‘there's a ladder descending this shaft…’
should read down this shaft

At the beginnign of S3: ‘Erendor sent scouts. They return with a chilling report:’
should read Erendor sends scouts. All the narration is in the present tense.

Also, I got a dextrous/intelligent/agile sorceress before ending the first scenario.
gwen42

Post by gwen42 »

First of all, awesome campaign. I love the variety in the Elvish Initiates, and that they have some interesting variations of what they can become
Spoiler:
I do have one question, though.
Spoiler:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Okay, so it looks like this is a bug that I noticed a few days ago whereby AI sides are not being persisted. Fortunately, I do have a fix, so I can put up a version 2.0.1 soon. Unfortunately, I think you'd need to go all the way back to scenario 4 (the second cave scenario) to take advantage of this fix. You could also dodge the bug in the current version by going back to that scenario and making sure to kill the undead leader before taking out the orc leader (as doing so gives you a different, working version of the final scenario).

I could probably add a second fix to respawn Malcorn in the final scenario if he's somehow missing, though. That would allow you to just restart the last scenario and play through it. I'll try to look into that tomorrow night so I can get it out as soon as possible, but in the worst case it may not be available until the next weekend. Also, if you could post your start-of-scenario save here as well (in case you don't know, that's the one called "BCoA-Reclaiming the Citadel.gz" without a turn number), that would help me to test this hypothetical new fix faster.

I also noticed another unrelated bug in your replay with Aphrophila's ellipse, which is fortunately pretty easy to fix, so that'll be corrected too. Thanks for the report!