How about a BEAST FACTION?

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

How about a BEAST FACTION?

Post by Doc Paterson »

Or, if the developers couldn't see a faction of beasts being intelligent enough to wage war, how about just more BEASTS added to certain factions? Giant Boars! Jaguars with tatoos and aquatic abilities! Lions that can cloak when the sun is at its brightest! Gigantic fiddler crabs with stone hammers that can level a forest space and turn it into grassland! Tusks! Claws! Teeth! BEASTS! BEASTS! BEASTS!
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Do some people just want to look like idiots? :?

OR, if the mods find that unacceptable:

This has been discussed many times before*, and brutally shot down** every time. Do you REALLY want to bring it up again?

If you do, then reply in the affirmative and give reasons for doing this. Remember, you'll have to convince the hordes of people who think this is really, really stupid.

*: By which I mean, there have been a couple people crazy enough to suggest this.

**: By which I mean, the idea was laughed down.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Now, now.. turin. :P

Doc, as you may be able to read from turin's post, it's not likely there are a lot of people who are probably willing to make a faction like this. However, if you want a beast faction, you can try making it yourself.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

It is a quite silly suggestion and would never make it into distributed era (of course you're welcome to make your own era), but could you please try to have a little more tact, turin?
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
scott

Post by scott »

It's not laughable because on the surface it seems a logical thing to suggest. In fact, several people have suggested it like you said.

Then if you think about it, it's not so logical. Why would beasts hang out together? For the heck of it? If intelligent, do they consider themselves beastly? Should drakes hang out with other intelligent animals? Also, how would humans tame boars or jaguars big enough to go into battle (magic maybe)? If intelligent, why would they help humans fight? Do these intelligent jaguars have their own society?

The most important question is would it make the game lose some of its cohesive feel? The answer is yes. The developers don't want to turn the game into a kludge of random stuff, and they have decisively concluded in the past that this sort of thing is sufficently random to be kludge-worthy. You had no way of knowing this if it's not in the "Frequently Proposed Ideas" sticky not at the top of this forum.

See people, an easy let-down. Doc, please ignore the self-affirmed saltiness above this post.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The author seemed to not be serious about this idea at all. I mean, look at this:
Gigantic fiddler crabs with stone hammers that can level a forest space and turn it into grassland! Tusks! Claws! Teeth! BEASTS! BEASTS! BEASTS!
I responded to an unserious question with an unserious reply.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

turin wrote:Do some people just want to look like idiots? :?

:D

This calls for a rap battle. Meet me by the old oak at noon, and bring your best MC.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

scott wrote:It's not laughable because on the surface it seems a logical thing to suggest. In fact, several people have suggested it like you said.
Do these intelligent jaguars have their own society?
These Jags DO have their own society, but it's not as magnificent as they seem to think it is. A bit third-world, though their culinary skills are highly advanced.

As for the saltiness, no problem. I have 80 percent resistance to Turin attacks and Turin-related items (The Shroud of Turin, etc.). It just comes down to the fact that I'm not very interested in the standard fantasy-adventure-type characters; elves, dwarves, wizards and the like, mainly because the designs for these tend to be sort of formulaic and (to me) boring. It's hard for me to want to play as something like that, but I don't hold anything against anyone who's into that sort of thing. When I say I want more BEASTS, I really just mean I'd like to see some wildly creative designs. The concept of dragon/lizard-men that stand on two legs was sort of funny and appealling to me, so I've been using the Drakes. I love the game overall; very very fun game.
without your noses.
Simons Mith

Beasts done well

Post by Simons Mith »

If you want an example of sentient beast-creatures done well, look at the Gloranthan board game Dragon Pass. that has centaurs, minotaurs, manticores, and further exotica. The Ducks are a wonderfully bizarre touch. I have often thought that the Wesnoth engine could really do a brilliant job as a Gloranthan wargame, but there would be serious copyright issues. Modelling the Dragon Pass game would be really wonderful, but it really would require the project to be forked. In Wesnoth, there is a strong consensus that beasts and/or man-beasts don't really fit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The Shroud of Turin is completely unrelated to me. You see, it is "Turin", not "Túrin". Completely different.

The artifacts associated with me are the Dragon Helm and the Black Sword. I fall when fighting the dragon Glaurung.

also, you see, I detest drakes. So saying drakes are in game, thus more drake-like beings should be in-game, really doesn't convince me. ;)
The World of Orbivm
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

turin wrote:The Shroud of Turin is completely unrelated to me. You see, it is "Turin", not "Túrin". Completely different.

;)
Hehe. I know that, son! It's in your little quote there, after all.
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: Beasts done well

Post by Doc Paterson »

Simons Mith wrote: that has centaurs, minotaurs, manticores, and further exotica.
A Wesnoth Minotaur faction would obviously rock my world.

And as for Turin detesting Drakes; Don't worry, kiddo! I'm not trying to convince you of anything or even make any kind of case. Only stating my preference. To me, beasts, sentient or otherwise, are just more interesting than the generic fantasy-stock of wizards, elves, trolls and such.
Last edited by Doc Paterson on February 22nd, 2005, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
without your noses.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

I'd like the Ducks to be added. Er, as a counterpoint to the Drakes, obviously. :-)
gunsnwoses

Post by gunsnwoses »

Why not have a bacterial faction? They could win by making their enemies really sick and thus wide open to secondary infections, possibly needing weeks of antibiotic therapy. Then if they leveled up they could become resistant to the original antibiotics thus forcing their victims to use even stronger antibiotics.. :roll:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Be careful what you ask for Doc Paterson.
Because I could just come up with something completely whacked. :roll:
I'm still musing over "The Revenge of the Tasties". Don't ask.

-------------------

Now, as for Minotaurs and other such things - nothing says, including me, that people can't make them using wesnoth, and use wesnoth to make a game of them and featuring them.

The only thing I don't want is for them to be in the fantasy world of wesnoth. In the world in which all of our current scenarios are set, and something which I would really like to flesh out a good deal more. On that, I am adamant.

Fact of the matter is, no one around here likely CAN make such things of anything approaching decent quality. Please prove me wrong (no, really - please do).