The Home - SP Campaign (0.6.1, 18/24 Scenarios)(BfW 1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Centurio

The Home - SP Campaign (0.6.1, 18/24 Scenarios)(BfW 1.14)

Post by Centurio »

A huge invasion of Orcs is flooding the land. The Humans are caught off guard. When the trouble arrives at a peaceful valley near Raevengal, Ruben and his friends must flee. Will they find a way to stop the Orcs?

Hello Everyone,
A year ago I started programming on this campaign. Now I've got 18 of 24 scenarios working. My plan is to create a interesting and joyful campaign which is based on the core of Battle for Wesnoth. I hope that there will be some volunteers who want to test it and give me feedback to improve this version.

If you wanted to answer the following questions it would be great:

Balancing:
- Which scenarios are too difficult/easy?
- In which level do you feel to have too many enemies? How do you find level 8 (Raevengal) in this respect?
- In which scenarios you think you have too much gold.
- Are there some other balancing aspects which you want to inform me about?

Story:
- Which things doesn't make scenece to you?
- Are there some strange dialogues?

Other things:
- Which scenario you do like most?
- Which scenario do you feel is boring?

Of course, please report bugs, mistakes or ambiguous things.

If you like this campaign and want to help in a special way, please send me how much gold you had at the start of each scenario. :)

There are some things missing in this campaign. If there is someone who likes this campaign and wants to help me I would be happy about every helping hand:
- Currently the special units are a product of copy&paste from different other units of Wesnoth. If they got their own look, it would be fantastic.
- If there was someone who wanted to draw pictures for the story sections, it would be fantastic, too.
- I've drawn some sketches on paper of a map of the region, where this campaign takes part. But I'm not able to draw a nice looking map.
- The lava in level 13 symbolizes fire. If someone has an idea, which makes that look like fire, it would be great.
- My English isn't that good and if there was a person out there who wanted to design the dialogues, it would improve the campaign a lot.

The Home - Campaign (0.1.1)(18/24Scenarios)
Changelog:
- Fixed bug on the end of level 3.
- Reworked level 1 to make the campaign feel more natural.

The Home - Campaign (0.2.0)(18/24Scenarios)
Changelog:
- Fixed bug of Ruben.
- Added interesting flag designs.
- Reworked and corrected dialogs in scenario 1-7.
- Scenario 4 made easier.

The Home - Campaign (0.3.0)(18/24Scenarios)
Changelog:
- Fixed some balancing issues in scenario 8.
- Reworked and corrected dialogs in scenario 8.

The Home - Campaign (0.3.1)(18/24Scenarios)
Changelog:
- Scenario 3 made easier.

The Home - Campaign (0.3.2)(18/24Scenarios)
Changelog:
- Scenario 4 made easier.

The Home - Campaign (0.5.0)(18/24Scenarios)
Changelog:
- Added a ranged attack for Brog.
- Changed some defense values of Ruben.
- Reworked dialogs in level "two paths"
- Reworked dialogs in level "the ford"
- Reworked dialogs in level "into the woods"
- Reworked dialogs in level "no help"
- Reworked dialogs in level "between fronts"
- Changed some logical mistakes in the dialogs in level 17

The Home - Campaign (0.6.0)(18/24Scenarios)
Changelog:
- fixed the bug with Ruben
- balance change in scenario 1
- changes on the map in scenario 3
- reduced the start gold of the enemies in level 3
- removed the bats in level 4
- added a cave schedule in level 6
- fixed bug in level 6

The Home - Campaign (0.6.1)(18/24Scenarios)
Changelog:
- Scenario 4 made easier

I'm happy about every kind of feedback. Thanks for playing. I wish every tester goodluck and lots of fun. :) And surprises! ;)
Good Luck!
Last edited by Centurio on October 7th, 2018, 9:27 pm, edited 20 times in total.
The WMLegions are marching
tribes55

Re: The Home-Campaign (0.1.0)(18/24Scenarios)

Post by tribes55 »

Hey Centurio,

I look forward to playing your campaign! That's quite a long time to make a campaign without sharing it.

Immediate impressions of first scenario:

This doesn't add up. From what it is said in the dialogue and surrounding story, these are some people in the woods, isolated. Why do they have so many resources as to recruit professional soldiers? It's as if they have their own city.

The section with Sir Gwedin would be improved if he was fleeing from the Orcs. This would work with [move_unit], or {MOVE_UNIT id=(ID) 23 25}.

Why can't you move the Mage? If you can't use him, why do you have him? There should be some justification for this.
Last edited by tribes55 on July 30th, 2018, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Home - Campaign (0.1.0)(18/24Scenarios)

Post by Konrad2 »

I think this replay is enough to tell you what absolutely has to be changed.
Attachments
TH-The first ones replay.gz
(9.29 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Centurio

Post by Centurio »

Konrad2 wrote: July 29th, 2018, 11:37 pm I think this replay is enough to tell you what absolutely has to be changed.
Oops! :D Thank you for showing me that. I didn't know that you can undo the first movement of Sir Gwedin and then kill the enemy leader.
Of course, that must be changed.

tribes55 wrote: July 29th, 2018, 7:37 pm
The section with Sir Gwedin would be improved if he was fleeing from the Orcs. This would work with [move_unit], or {MOVE_UNIT id=(ID) 23 25}.

Why can't you move the Mage? If you can't use him, why do you have him? There should be some justification for this.
Thank you for this idea. I wanted that Sir Gwedin is in the upper part of the scenario, to have some tactical posibilities (Of course, not killing the enemy leader). If you move him to the castle of Ruben, you have to move him back after that.

You can't move the mage because I think with him the level would be too easy. I intended to say explizit that he is too old to fight, but I forgot it.

A lot of thanks for this very quick respond. :)
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Hello Centurio. Sounds like an amazing campaign to me, and I plan to try it over the next few days, though I'd like to suggest a few things, based on what I know from the posts (where do you download this campaign?). Firstly, have you considered giving the mage movement? If it's just a normal mage, (you know, the lvl 1 mage with the brown robes), you should probably reconsider your standing about giving such a young and inexperienced mage no movement. If it's like a silver mage, mage of light, or arch mage or great mage, though, this no movement thing is sensible, but it still doesn't make any sense. With such a high ranking mage, your should try maybe one or two movement points instead, to make your campaign feel more natural.

As for the guy called Sir Gwedin, if he is being oppressed by orcs, it makes no sense to just leave him there. He may just die anyway. So what I was thinking that maybe you could move him a little bit back; perhaps have a line of peasants and a few spearmen forming a rear guard, and have Gwedin retreat behind that line. And if Gwedin is a hero unit, no point in letting him die, cut off from reinforcements, alone.

But yeah, that's all I have for you. I have no idea what the campaign is about, but from what people are telling me, it sounds interesting. I'll start playing it right away once I figure out what version of Wesnoth I need and give you more feedback! Thank you! Though, as tribes55 said, I think 18 scenarios is a little late for posting a topic on the forums, in my opinion. But never mind. Well done, and if this is your first campaign, then well done.

-ResExsention
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
Centurio

Post by Centurio »

ResExsention wrote: July 31st, 2018, 12:00 am Hello Centurio. Sounds like an amazing campaign to me, and I plan to try it over the next few days, though I'd like to suggest a few things, based on what I know from the posts (where do you download this campaign?). Firstly, have you considered giving the mage movement? If it's just a normal mage, (you know, the lvl 1 mage with the brown robes), you should probably reconsider your standing about giving such a young and inexperienced mage no movement. If it's like a silver mage, mage of light, or arch mage or great mage, though, this no movement thing is sensible, but it still doesn't make any sense. With such a high ranking mage, your should try maybe one or two movement points instead, to make your campaign feel more natural.

As for the guy called Sir Gwedin, if he is being oppressed by orcs, it makes no sense to just leave him there. He may just die anyway. So what I was thinking that maybe you could move him a little bit back; perhaps have a line of peasants and a few spearmen forming a rear guard, and have Gwedin retreat behind that line. And if Gwedin is a hero unit, no point in letting him die, cut off from reinforcements, alone.

But yeah, that's all I have for you. I have no idea what the campaign is about, but from what people are telling me, it sounds interesting. I'll start playing it right away once I figure out what version of Wesnoth I need and give you more feedback! Thank you! Though, as tribes55 said, I think 18 scenarios is a little late for posting a topic on the forums, in my opinion. But never mind. Well done, and if this is your first campaign, then well done.

-ResExsention
Thank you a lot, that you are giving this campaign a try :) . I've already changed some things in level 1 but I don't uploded that changes (I think I will do it right after this post.). There will be the changes you and tribes55 sugest.

You find the campaign in the add-ons and you need the 1.14.

Thank you for your feedback!
Centurio

The Home - Update (0.1.1)(18/24Scenarios)

Post by Centurio »

I've now updated the campaign. If you are testing already the campaign hold on ;) . The changes only affect level 1 and 3.

Changelog:
- Fixed bug with the end of the level in level 3.
- Reworked level 1 to make the campaign feel more natural.

Thank you for your great feedback.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: The Home - Campaign (0.1.1)(18/24Scenarios)

Post by Inky »

I got a WML error when moving a unit close to the orc leader in scenario 1: [ai] not supported.
Scenario 1 was easy enough to win (especially when that elder mage joined the fight), but how are you supposed to win scenario 2? :shock: It seems like there are too many undead to fight through before that massive horde of orcs catches up to you. :hmm:
Centurio

Post by Centurio »

Inky wrote: July 31st, 2018, 5:25 pm I got a WML error when moving a unit close to the orc leader in scenario 1: [ai] not supported.
Scenario 1 was easy enough to win (especially when that elder mage joined the fight), but how are you supposed to win scenario 2? :shock: It seems like there are too many undead to fight through before that massive horde of orcs catches up to you. :hmm:
Thank you for your bug report. I made a mistake when I updated the campaign today. The bug should already been fixed.

I originally wanted that the Orcs catch up to you, and you have to fight them 1 or 2 turns. When I tested the scenario, I thought that it works in the way I wanted.
TH-Refugies replay.gz
(28.45 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
But I think I will decrease the income of the undead by 2 gold and the start-gold by 20.

Thank you for your feedback :) .
ResExsention wrote: August 1st, 2018, 9:07 pm Centurio, so I've begun to playtest your campaign, and it's great so far! Let me just point out a few things and place a few suggestions:

- On scenario 2, Ruben can get killed and nothing would happen. Do you have an event that triggers when he dies? I'm pretty sure you don't. Use this if need be:

- I've noticed that you don't have any special flags. There are many other variations other than the default short flag. The macro {FLAG_VARIANT # flag #} can change this, changing the flag style of owned villages and the image in the turn number counter. Options for flags are undead, long, loyalist, knalgan, wood-elvish, and ragged. They really improve the general player experience. Place this macro in each side definition.

And that's all I have! Well done!
Oh no! This mistake with Ruben is embarrassing :whistle: .I will fix that as quick as possible. (Could it be, that there were some changes from 1.12 to 1.14, because when I tested this campaign this bug never apeared.)

Thank you for your Idea with the flags. I like the normal flags, but I think I will change the flags in the future.

Thank you for reporting this bug and for your sugestion.
It helps me out a lot. ^_^
Last edited by Centurio on August 2nd, 2018, 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Centurio, so I've begun to playtest your campaign, and it's great so far! Let me just point out a few things and place a few suggestions:

- On scenario 2, Ruben can get killed and nothing would happen. Do you have an event that triggers when he dies? I'm pretty sure you don't. Use this if need be:

Code: Select all

[event]
	name=die
	[filter]
		id=Ruben # or whatever his ID is
	[/filter]

[message]
		speaker=Ruben
		message="Augh!!! I die! Nooo!"
	[/message]

[endlevel]
		result=defeat
	[/endlevel]
[/event]
- I've noticed that you don't have any special flags. There are many other variations other than the default short flag. The macro {FLAG_VARIANT # flag #} can change this, changing the flag style of owned villages and the image in the turn number counter. Options for flags are undead, long, loyalist, knalgan, wood-elvish, and ragged. They really improve the general player experience. Place this macro in each side definition.

And that's all I have! Well done!
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
Konstantine

Re: The Home - Campaign (0.2.0)(18/24Scenarios)

Post by Konstantine »

Hi Centurio,
I downloaded your campaign a few days ago and poked around a bit just to get an idea of the setting and some other aspects, It interested me enough to write to you.
My intention is to give it a playthrough and submit a private review to you about what I found, it may aid you. I prefer human campaigns, (it's the immersion thing for me) and I see tremendous potential with this one.
Have a great day
ahmannar

Re: The Home - Campaign (0.3.0)(18/24Scenarios)

Post by ahmannar »

I just started plying this campaign today and loved it until getting to the 3 scenario (windows 7, medium difficulty, BfW version 1.14.4) which, unless i am doing something awfully wrong, seems probably impossible to beat due to 2 following reasons:
Spoiler:
It's possible that i am doing something wrong in this level, but i seriously don't see any kind of advantage that the player has over the enemies in this scenario.
Centurio

Re: The Home - Campaign (0.3.0)(18/24Scenarios)

Post by Centurio »

ahmannar wrote: August 4th, 2018, 3:22 pm I just started plying this campaign today and loved it until getting to the 3 scenario (windows 7, medium difficulty, BfW version 1.14.4) which, unless i am doing something awfully wrong, seems probably impossible to beat due to 2 following reasons:
Spoiler:
It's possible that i am doing something wrong in this level, but i seriously don't see any kind of advantage that the player has over the enemies in this scenario.
Thanks for your well reflected feedback. That's what I'm happy about! :D

I have now changed a few things:
Spoiler:
- I also decreased the starting gold of the Trolls by 20 and the income.

I already have uploaded the changes to the add-ons server.
I'm looking forward to get more such feedback from you.
ahmannar

Re: The Home - Campaign (0.3.1)(18/24Scenarios)

Post by ahmannar »

After the changes to scenario 3 i was able to finally beat it. However, scenario 4 seems even more dependent on RNG to the point that it is necessary to save load in order to pass it:
Spoiler:
The conjunction of these factors makes so that there´s not really much strategy here and makes RNG the major factor in deciding the success (at least in the beginning). It can be overcome by doing it, but one shouldn´t be forced to it.

I don´t know if the rest of the campaign follows the philosophy of design of these last 2 scenarios but, in any case, i would suggest to reconsider combining elements that significantly increase the impact of RNG such as:
-> long corridors 1*1, which may turn into stalemates where each unit whacks waves of enemies without decisions other than rotating them (scenario 3 does this in the east side leader, as well as scenario 4 in the beginning in at least 2 points);
->Scenarios which combine groups of units where no one can die and without expendable units, in case the opposition presents a considerable threat.

I hope my feedback doesn´t seem hostile in some way. The beginning of the campaign was promising and i wish that the rest of it is comparable to it.
Centurio

Re: The Home - Campaign (0.3.1)(18/24Scenarios)

Post by Centurio »

ahmannar wrote: August 5th, 2018, 2:06 pm After the changes to scenario 3 i was able to finally beat it. However, scenario 4 seems even more dependent on RNG to the point that it is necessary to save load in order to pass it:
Spoiler:
The conjunction of these factors makes so that there´s not really much strategy here and makes RNG the major factor in deciding the success (at least in the beginning). It can be overcome by doing it, but one shouldn´t be forced to it.

I hope my feedback doesn´t seem hostile in some way. The beginning of the campaign was promising and i wish that the rest of it is comparable to it.
Thank you again for this very useful feedback.

My intention in this level is to create thrill and to level up the hero units a bit.
I also wanted a change to levels with many enemies.
As a result the level doesn't present you a lot of tactical possibilities. (This is the only scenario of this kind. ;) )

I have to admit that the impact of RNG is big in this level, but I have made the scenario much easier now:
Spoiler:
- I also reduced the amount of gold a little bit.

- I hope you appretiate this idea of the level now ;) . I'm happy to get your feedback.