On Mainlining Drake Campaigns

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SigurdFireDragon
Developer

On Mainlining Drake Campaigns

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

My Investigation of the Existing UMC Options for Mainlining
12 campaigns total on 1.2-1.14 servers - 2 single scenario campaigns not considered here

Campaign are listed with latest version of BfW available on and Year Wesnoth that it takes place if applicable. The campaigns are grouped into sections based on where the action takes place.
The views listed below are my own.

Unknown/ Outside BfW Universe/Alt-Timeline
On Crimson Wings (1.4) - Incomplete, 5 of 13 scenarios, unreviewed
The Flight of Drakes (1.12) - Drake King Klandar & the crown of light
Story About Drakes (1.10) - Alt timeline where you kill Haldric before he makes it to Wesnoth.

I’m not interested in the above as they are significantly unfinished or outside BfW’s world.

Morogor (Prequels/Area)
A Firey Birth (1.14) - Explains how the drakes first evolved and got to the island
Children of Dragons (1.12) - Living underground and then moved to the island
Flight to Freedom (1.14) - Malakar’s escape from slavery

I’d prefer to mainline a drake campaign that takes place on/around the Great Continent.

Wesnoth Timeline – Small Quest
Story of a Drake Outcast (1.10) ??? YW - Drakes in the north in alliance with dwarves until it is broken.
The Stolen Sword (1.10) 626 YW (DW) + 1-10 years? Biheld and surrounding area. Some drakes have to recover the flaming sword, which was stolen again

I feel these both need story and dialog overhaul. SoaDO isn’t much of a SoaDO, TSS doesn’t have the Drakes on their own enough for my tastes. Both could possibly be reworked into a small story sort of campaign like Liberty or An Orcish Incursion, but I prefer to avoid doing that.

Wesnoth Timelime – Epic Quest
Ashen Hearts (1.14) 673 YW - Drakes in the Heartfang Mountains fighting off dwarves
Brave Wings (1.12) 237 YW - Takes place on the Shimmering Isle and surrounding area
Burning Souls (1.10) 871 YW - Takes place on Bilheld and surrounding area
Wings of Victory (1.10) -5 to 25 YW? - How the drakes came from Morogor to the Great Continent

An epic quest is what I think would be best to mainline
My opinion is there are lore issues with AH, and characterization issues with BW, and me doing any sort of significant rewrite with them is not an option that I’m interested in doing.

My take on BS is that it needs some plot fixing, and WoV needs gameplay for 5-6 scenarios. Those are the sort of things I feel I can handle, and I think the story is at least good enough, so I’m interested in mainlining these campaigns.

Summary
There are 2 Drake Campaigns currently that I'm interested in working to mainline, Burning Souls & Wings of Victory.
Thoughts on the above?
In particular, any about the suitability/unsuitability of any of the campaigns listed?
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: On Mainlining Drake Campaigns

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SigurdFireDragon wrote: July 21st, 2018, 5:37 pm There are 2 Drake Campaigns currently that I'm interested in working to mainline, Burning Souls & Wings of Victory.
Thoughts on the above?
I don't remember having played Burning Souls, but about Wings of Victory I remember that it was made exactly for the purpose of being mainlined. However, there were some problems with it, like a scenario that was deactivated because it required some complex AI programming. It was also incomplete, with just five scenarios available.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Elvish_Hunter wrote: July 21st, 2018, 7:47 pm but about Wings of Victory I remember that it was made exactly for the purpose of being mainlined. However, there were some problems with it, like a scenario that was deactivated because it required some complex AI programming. It was also incomplete, with just five scenarios available.
Yes, it still requires a bit of work. IMO, all of the ones that are in the Wesnoth timeline need something or other before they would be ready to be added to mainline.
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Is it an either-or question between Burning Souls and Wings of Victory?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Pentarctagon wrote: July 30th, 2018, 8:25 am Is it an either-or question between Burning Souls and Wings of Victory?
No. I'm open to working toward mainlining both of them.