nemaara's art (and other art for Genesis)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
nemaara
Developer

Re: nemaara's art (and other art for Genesis)

Post by nemaara »

BTIsaac wrote: June 7th, 2018, 9:01 am My portraits for the Fire and Inferno demons are mostly done. Should I adjust the horns? By the way, I gave the inferno demon a bronze or brass breastplate and shoulder pads and flames on the head and along the spine.
The Shadow Demon is also done. Hopefully next week I'll be able to post them. I'd like to be done with the fire/inferno demoness as well, provided I can figure out a way to fix that left elbow.
If it's not too much work to adjust the horns (like, an hour or less), I'd prefer if you did. If it's more work than that, it's not really worth the time since the sprites don't have to match the portraits exactly anyway. The color of the breastplate isn't a problem, it's trivial for me to adjust the palette (really, it's just the shading and reshaping for animations that takes time). I also just remembered you drew a cape for the fire demons, so I'll add that in to my sprite.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

nemaara wrote: June 7th, 2018, 4:15 pmThe color of the breastplate isn't a problem, it's trivial for me to adjust the palette (really, it's just the shading and reshaping for animations that takes time).
The breast plate is on the inferno demon only.
I also just remembered you drew a cape for the fire demons, so I'll add that in to my sprite.
Uhm, not quite. Only the Demoness has a cape. The male fire demon has one of those cape-skirts (butt-cape? belt-cape? not sure what it's called). Oh, and he doesn't have a skirt like the demoness. But no big deal really.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Well, just for reference, here's a mostly finalized fire demon sprite.
Attachments
fire.png
fire.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 9000 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Speaking of, was the portrait for the Helion updated as well? I'm seeing the old one in the database, while the fiend and berserker use ones i posted.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I didn't see you post a Hellion portrait? Perhaps I just missed it?
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I didn't make a separate one - i don't think there's really much need. The second portrait is for both the berserker AND the helion. I think i specified it a few times.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I forgot to post this earlier, here's the new inferno demon sprite.
Attachments
inferno-female.png
inferno-female.png (1.8 KiB) Viewed 8884 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

More sketches done. As I mentioned earlier, the alternate Demon Lord portrait is intended for hostile demon lords to be used in story dialogue, but it's ultimately your call.

Regarding the Black Demon line, I see they too are faceless. My question is if it's supposed to be blank and featureless like the blue demons, or if I could try some slightly transparent black void, with parts of the head and face slowly breaking away and evaporating into smoke. Maybe I could make both versions and you can decide which looks better?
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Can you hold off on finishing the demon lord portraits? I need to draw new sprites for them (eventually), and I'll try to mimic the portraits as much as I can, but in case there are any differences, I don't want you to have put a bunch of work on them only to have some major discrepancy later. I'll draw the new demon lord sprites a little later, after I finish animating the fiend line (one of the updated sprites is attached below). :roll:

I haven't decided on whether the Black Demons should be faceless or not, so actually if you want to make a decision on how you want to draw them, I'll follow that. Otherwise, I'll rethink about it once I get to updating their sprites. :hmm:

(Also, what came of that faerie portrait? I'm curious to see how that one turned out.)
Attachments
berserker-female.png
berserker-female.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Well, I was actually working onnthe demon lord, but i could put that on hold and work on the fairy. If you're going to follow the portrait for the demon lord a few things to note are:
- the colors on the clothes are mostly pastels, with a beige cloak and brown leather flaps on the belt, steel breastplate, shoulder pads and plates on the legs
- in addition to the leather armor flaps, the belt has round metal plates on it that are meant to be either bronze or gold.
- the horn may end up having "horn jewelry" like the one Uriah has.

By the way, was the female Hellion updated In game? It looks like she's still using the old portrait on the website while the male one was replaced. :/
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I actually don't have a good idea of what's released on the server right now, since my base directory is a mess at the moment. On the latest version I have committed on github, the Hellion should be using the Berserker portrait (for both male and female), so it should come out right when I release the next version.

I'm taking a little break from making anything so it could be a bit before I update anything again. So, if you want to just finish the demon lord portraits, that's also fine with me, and I'll just do my best to imitate them in sprites.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Well, it's going to take a while either way. I started experimenting with a new coloring method that's drastically different from what I'm used to (the armor on the inferno demoness was already made using it). It's taking a bit more time, but it's actually a lot easier, and the results are amazing, if the test images are anything to go by.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

@BTIsaac By the way, I've updated the faerie healer sprites, in case you need to see them for the portraits. There aren't extremely large changes, but I did redraw a fair bit of them from scratch (so they'll be released under CC BY-NC-ND). See below:
Attachments
faerie-healers.png
faerie-healers.png (7.13 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

https://www.deviantart.com/mangapym

That is a link to Mangapym. He got a 25 Dollar promotion running for a gradient shaded full body standing character.

The style looks Wesnoth compatible to me. Maybe if your Patreon works out we get your 3 fairies from a fellow like this?

The fellow works out from Mexico and draws a lot of women in fighting poses and gear.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Not saying the guy is bad or anything, but i think calling the style Wesnoth compatible is a bit of a stretch. I might know a couple of alternatives but I'm not sure which of them is doing commissions. I'll look it up soon.