1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.14 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't have 1.12 anymore, so I couldn't test, but the cause I suspected doesn't look to be the case. I think the problem may be that you are too high up. Does it work if you go two hexes south from where you are in the image? If that's the issue, I'll try to come up with a way to make that more obvious.
cnwh wrote: April 28th, 2018, 10:26 am Thanks so much! It looks like I'm still in v 1.12.6 (the stable version). Should I go to the development version (1.13+)?
BfW 1.14.0 is being released now, so 1.13+ is basically the new stable. No reason to expect saves from 1.12 to work on 1.13/1.14 though, so probably best to stick with BfW 1.12 until you're finished with this campaign. There are many improvements in this campaign over the old 1.12 version, but probably not enough to make it worth replaying the whole thing again.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
ghype

Post by ghype »

test played bmr on 1.14.0
part 1 - no bugs/errors found
part 2 - found minor things in the first two playable scenarios

(1) dogs don't have xp bars in the first playable scenario. out of experience i would expect they would not lv up either. error in the advancement tag?
but it works again in the next scenario. but the dogs weren't in my recall list, so I don't think that matter after-all.
screenshot/spoiler
Screenshot 2018-04-28 19.54.43.png
Screenshot 2018-04-28 19.54.43.png (91.16 KiB) Viewed 11548 times
(2)minister duvals item preview is very small. everyone else's item preview looks fine.
screenshot/spoiler
Screenshot 2018-04-28 19.53.19.png
(3) right-click marching unit on world map uses weird compressed window sized. not related to wesnoth window size.
screenshot/spoiler
Screenshot 2018-04-28 23.12.50.png
cnwh

Post by cnwh »

Thanks! It was actually 3 hexes down but it did trigger so that's great!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

ghype wrote: April 28th, 2018, 8:18 pm est played bmr on 1.14.0
part 1 - no bugs/errors found
part 2 - found minor things in the first two playable scenarios
Thank you for the report, ghype. The auto-sizing and auto-scrollbars done by the GUI2 menus was driving me mad at the time I came up with those dialogues. I thought I had it under control, but maybe I missed something (I also don't have a 4k monitor, I gather that can be an issue in some cases.)
cnwh wrote: April 29th, 2018, 1:30 am Thanks! It was actually 3 hexes down but it did trigger so that's great!
Glad to hear it worked. I'll have to modify the map, so it is more obvious where to go.

Thanks, both of you, for the feedback.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Version 1.10.1 has been uploaded, there are some very slight balancing changes in the early scenarios and some graphics updates. Incremental progress is better than no progress.
ghype wrote: April 28th, 2018, 8:18 pm (1) dogs don't have xp bars in the first playable scenario. out of experience i would expect they would not lv up either. error in the advancement tag?
but it works again in the next scenario. but the dogs weren't in my recall list, so I don't think that matter after-all.
I couldn't reproduce this, the dogs were in my recall list and could advance just fine, after that scenario.
ghype wrote: April 28th, 2018, 8:18 pm 2)minister duvals item preview is very small. everyone else's item preview looks fine.
This also didn't seem to be a problem for me, but I think this depends a lot on resolution.
To anyone having a similar issue:
What screen/window resolution are you using?
Rhylla

Post by Rhylla »

Hi,

I recently started playing this campaign on 1.14.1 and in Fort Kuhle, there are a bunch of events that trigger when you capture certain villages. The people in the villages (I'm guessing) say that they'll join Lorenzon for varying reasons and say they're making their way to his camp. I waited 21 turns, but no new units appeared. Is this a bug, or am I supposed to do something in order to get the units?

Thanks!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Rhylla wrote: June 24th, 2018, 2:38 am Hi,

I recently started playing this campaign on 1.14.1 and in Fort Kuhle, there are a bunch of events that trigger when you capture certain villages. The people in the villages (I'm guessing) say that they'll join Lorenzon for varying reasons and say they're making their way to his camp. I waited 21 turns, but no new units appeared. Is this a bug, or am I supposed to do something in order to get the units?

Thanks!
Hello Rhylla,
The new units are the increased new recruits (number of regulars/runners, archers, and dogs) available. Such little dialogues seemed like a better way to bump those numbers, rather than just a fourth-wall-breaking bonus between scenarios.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.10.2 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.14 add-on server. I tried to make the potential recruits thing that confused Rhylla more obvious to the player; it might be nicer to make a GUI theme field such as gold or villages count (like I'd tried to do in the previous version), but I don't see how to do it in a way that isn't obscure and doesn't look like crap.

There were a few other minor updates, mostly visible in Part 2. Github record of commits since June 5th (last update) can be seen at
https://github.com/doofus-01/wesnoth-Ba ... its/master
drakearbiter

Post by drakearbiter »

Just finished playing BMR3.
I must say the story is full of twist and turns. It amazes me how much effort has gone into this with so many characters and resources.

But then I do have a question on the AMLA - AMLA advancements seem to be offered repeatedly until they become invincible in certain aspects -I could make many type of units invincible to blade and arcane attacks by taking three rounds of +25% blade+arcane resistance improvement. Archers could improve their defence in snow from 40% to 70% and so on.. I could make some units stand on middle of the road and take all the punishment. Look at the screenshot where my war hound has 70% arcane and 80% blace. Even lancers weren't a deterrent as additional equipments gave them about 30% pierce resistance(Lorenzon bravely standing upto a lancer in screenshot). Defending against attacks in many scenarios became quite easy. Is this intended behaviour?
Attachments
w.jpg
drakearbiter

Post by drakearbiter »

I'm using BfW 1.14.4 and BMR version 1.10.2
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

drakearbiter wrote: October 24th, 2018, 2:51 pm Is this intended behaviour?
No, that wasn't quite intended, thanks for reporting it! It will be fixed in the next update, though I think existing units in an ongoing game will continue to have this issue.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.10.3 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.14 add-on server. Some things were fixed, but there may still be issues, as I have not completely played through the campaign on BfW 1.14 yet. I'm up to Part3: Mirror Pond, and see some things that need updating/fixing, but that will have to be in the next update.

(Change log is just plucked from git commit messages, but better than nothing.)

changelog

1.10.3 - 20181125

cosmetic changes to P3 Checkpoint scenario

adding portraits for all four loyal units

P3: some variety in first map Cavalry battles

P3: some touch-ups to worldmap visuals

simplify [apply_gear] tag because wesnoth.get_units can fail for generic units

P3: moving recruits dialog to start event, so menu does not show up too soon

P2: fixing lich_defeated variable usage

old woman portrait wired in

some updates to equipment icons

shop scenario - fixing gates terrain code changes

give Duval an additional piece of equipment

Sc 7: make it possible for Loyalist General to die without breaking scenario

Worldmap - place missing [cancel_action] tag in case of Despair skirmish

fix gear.position mechanic not working, still needs improvement though

moving gear-grabbing floating text to lua, so it is not misleading

clean-up of gear_item handling, including allowing AI to pick up things

update objectives for some empty shop scenarios

some revisions to potential recruits system, in how it is displayed.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

The campaign is very good. The english was a bit strange - you live in the USA but the english was ... interesting. :)

Anyway. I agree that the AMLA is a bit too strong. Perhaps reduce the advancement progressions a little bit in particular when it comes to adding resistances. But this is a minor detail.

The reason why I sought this thread is because ... there is one scenario where one has to seal the cave before Ares runs away.

How do you seal the cave? There is a hint but that hint does not tell me anything.

It would be nice if both the dialogue options there, but also the scenario-goal, could be a bit more explicit. Right now my best guess is to have two people stand outside and somehow... close the cave. I am sure there may be other means but I am simply dumbfounded right now.

Since I do not know how to solve this scenario that means that the campaign ended for me there. :(

The units are pretty cool by the way. I like those cow-thingies ... that should make it into its own race. :P (Yes, just the flying cows alone ... not the enthralling-snatch thing but these mega-cows. They are a lot of fun, like in diablo... anyone remember the cows wielding halberds or pikes?)

Edit: Just realized ... the equipment handling is both cool and a bit annoying. That is not your fault, but I'd wish wesnoth would get some sort of unified, common equipment handling. In particular buying and selling was hard ... I seem to have "delete" but not drop, and the widget does not expand properly so I have to scroll (which doesn't always work). With a unified equipment widget it may be easier to do so, even drag-and-drop support perhaps.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

shevegen wrote: November 27th, 2018, 2:15 pm The english was a bit strange - you live in the USA but the english was ... interesting. :)
I'm not sure what you mean. There might be some mistakes, but I don't think it's that unusual. :hmm:
shevegen wrote: November 27th, 2018, 2:15 pm How do you seal the cave? There is a hint but that hint does not tell me anything.
The cut-scene in the intro of the very beginning of the whole campaign ends with some old guy sealing the cave, and now you have to do what he did. Moving down to the bottom of the map won't help, though it might slow Ares down.
shevegen wrote: November 27th, 2018, 2:15 pm Edit: Just realized ... the equipment handling is both cool and a bit annoying. That is not your fault, but I'd wish wesnoth would get some sort of unified, common equipment handling. In particular buying and selling was hard ... I seem to have "delete" but not drop, and the widget does not expand properly so I have to scroll (which doesn't always work). With a unified equipment widget it may be easier to do so, even drag-and-drop support perhaps.
I think there has been some work on the GUI or the Lua related to it, but I haven't had time to look into it. It might be possible to do better now, though sinking time into a dead end niche is a tough sell. Some unified or standard toolkit would be nice, I agree.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

BMR2 - Royal Rumble
It would be nice if there was some constant reminder that Carusoe can only be hit by Raenna. Even nicer would be a guaranteed hit when you attack him with Raenna. And/Or that him attacking her triggers the event as well. ^^

EDIT:
The unit names of Ulkian Witches that focused on war or peace related skills do not get displayed. (I just learned today that they are supposed to be black and green witches :O)
Also, the Black Witches are (on their sprite at least) using spears, but their weapon is still called 'staff' and deals impact dmg.
BMR2-Royal Rumble Turn 11.gz
(208.21 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
'Obsidian Spear' says that it increases axe dmg by 1, which doesn't make any sense and is also wrong. It increases spear dmg by 1.

EDIT 2:
Big Aerwan Steel Goods
Has no keep so I can't recruit/-call. (This happens after defeating Huric.)
BMR2-Big Aerwan Steel Goods-Auto-Save1.gz
(157.07 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
EDIT 3:
When I visit that place again, I do have a keep.
Also, after leaving the first time, one of the orcish cavalaries disappeared from the world map.

EDIT 4:
Deep in green, snowfree Elfland, I've been attacked by northern animals. On a snowy map. I daresay that this is questionable. (I know, I had no buisness being there but...I got curious.)
BMR2-World Map - Ukiah Turn 1.gz
(172.71 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
BMR2-Skirmish-Auto-Save1.gz
(176.95 KiB) Downloaded 321 times

EDIT 5:
Snow Monkeys death sound is the human cavalery death sound.
Black Horsemans death sound is the troll death sound. xD

EDIT 6:
Is it intended that lvl 3 units can only choose one offensive and one defensive advancement now and only once? (Out of apparently up to 5 options. Looks like my units are so old, that those AMLA were not a thing when I recruited them.)

EDIT 7:
Checked the AMLA again, apparently defensive AMLA is only offered the first time and offensive AMLA is only offered the first two times. No matter what you choose. Witches are an exeption, as the decision war/peace takes up the first AMLA and they retain their spell AMLA forever.

EDIT 8:
The floating text after recruiting a new unit is waaaaay too fast.
And the notice about my avaible recruits appears sadly only after I recruit a (/my first) unit.

EDIT 9:
Mark/Unmakr unit: The Mark is almost invisible, both in the field and the recall list.