3 player colosseum

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konkonar

3 player colosseum

Post by Konkonar »

How do you do this?
Hmt: (hm•t) Something said when one is amused. A cross between a grunt and a snicker.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: 3 player colosseum

Post by Aethaeryn »

Just like the regular, 6p Colosseum.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Konkonar

Post by Konkonar »

Yes, but I've player on the server were there's only three spawn areas for the players and waves.
Hmt: (hm•t) Something said when one is amused. A cross between a grunt and a snicker.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

It's on the add-on server. It's listed as "Colosseum (3p version)".
Konkonar

Post by Konkonar »

Ok thx, it is always hard to get 6 people to play.
phaZZi

Post by phaZZi »

https://puu.sh/AfrKH/2a66dc41cb.png
the f1 help behaves, let's say "akwardly" in-game. i suppose you should avoid this :D
norbert

Post by norbert »

phaZZi wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 8:21 pm https://puu.sh/AfrKH/2a66dc41cb.png
the f1 help behaves, let's say "akwardly" in-game. i suppose you should avoid this :D
Thanks for the feedback phaZZi.
I'll take a look this weekend, if I can get that fixed.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Here are a couple of fix requests:

- when you buy +1 movement points, you should also get +1 moves added so that you can utilize it immediately; the whole point of buying this is so that you can get into a better position before the AI turn.

- if all the enemies die during the AI turn, then it should be credited as a win for that round. There's no sense in having everyone go around and hit End Turn. It's better reward the players for setting things up to maximize retaliation damage.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
norbert

Post by norbert »

norbert wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 9:28 pm
phaZZi wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 8:21 pm https://puu.sh/AfrKH/2a66dc41cb.png
Thanks for the feedback phaZZi.
I'll take a look this weekend, if I can get that fixed.
This should be fixed now.
With 1.14, the Factions menu entry has been renamed to Eras (with "Default" now holding the six default factions), and it appears the help is not (properly) processing {MENU_IMG_TXT} in faction names.
I've therefore changed

Code: Select all

name={MENU_IMG_TXT "units/drakes/clasher.png" _"Gladiators"}
to

Code: Select all

name=_"Gladiators"
image=units/drakes/clasher.png
Sapient wrote: May 4th, 2018, 12:03 amHere are a couple of fix requests: [...]
Unfortunately, I lack the time to further improve this add-on. :|
Anyone should feel free to look at your feature requests and implement them, of course.
Both your suggestions are solid.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

I worked on it. I can't develop it farther though, similar issues.
As for a changelog:
- mostly technical changes, removed deprecated code and took advantage of 1.14, though there are some visual ones too
- @Sapient both should be implemented now. Also no need anymore to end rounds if there's nothing left to do.

The thing I aimed for was to make it more reusable. If someone wants to make a Colosseum style map, go for it. It's all here.
For a good part there is no need to copy paste things....it's a Colosseum library now. It would also be a lot easier to port 1.12 variants based on this.

A side effect of this is that you could now as well upgrade zombies if there would be a modification to make them leaders.

Edit: removed file, modified add-on will be up soon
Try out the dark board theme.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Shiki wrote: June 29th, 2018, 1:03 pmI worked on it.
Thanks.
Shiki, is it okay if I private message you the _server.pbl for this add-on?
This should allow you to update the version, change the author and email, and get this latest version out there.
I currently don't have Wesnoth installed and the (Linux Mint) repo only has 1.12.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

That would be okay.

One more thing which I just noticed. The gold is deducted per side turn, and as 3P had less sides than 6P (with the two AI sides, 5 vs 8) one lost less gold. Next version is on the same level as the original 6P version, losing twice as much gold per tun. (for 4 sides, excluding the inactive AI in both variants).
6P variant is included now too.

Edit: it's now on the add-on server.
Large

Post by Large »

Can you please add some deep water. It is important when you're playing with skeletons.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Is the oasis supposed to heal 8 hp? I would have thought it's a no heal oasis.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Didn't read that post before… I don't know where exactly deep water would be good, but that's a good idea. Would you like to edit the map?

Version 1.6 has been uploaded:
* One can undo moves if one didn't buy anything in the shop (except if one just chose the difficulty). One can reenter the shop that way if one left by accident
* You got the wrong Ghost advancements? It's again possible to buy more resistances in this case
* One can buy again upgrades which improve both weapon ranges, even if one has (yet) just one — but only if one can obtain another range later
* Buying abilities covers now all eras - one cannot buy abilities which the unit can obtain later. It takes similar abilities into account.
* Steadfast is only offered if one gets at least a 30% bonus from it
* Buying MP costs now only 10g (lowering movement costs as well)
* Heals & cures ability costs now 15g
* Regeneration cost now 40g
* Skirmisher cost now 25g
* Feeding has been nerved recently, costs now 25g (still a nerv, and rather not worthy it)
* Teleporting units back works better
* Any units cost no upkeep anymore, such as zombies

Why I recommend against feeding:
Basically 1 hp is worthy 1 gold. Feeding +1 costs 25g, +2 45g and +3 65g. You need to kill 25 / 23 / 22 units to reach the break-even-point, which is likely at the beginning of wave 7. Feeding works not (anymore) on unplaguable units, such as undead and the mudcrawler. All in all, there are 31 plaguable units before the final wave starts — resulting in a payoff of 6-28 additional hp, assuming you started at round 1. (During the last wave one can get 5-15 hp)
On the other hand, if you bought too less damage or strikes and thus an additional round is needed to finish the wave, the gold is deducted by 14-16g (on average difficulty), for each player, resulting in the team having a loss of 48 (3p) or 84 (6p) gold.

Edit: Oases are always healing – the same way like you never see a non-healing village.
If it does not, then someone did just blit the image or use a custom terrain.