The Rising Underworld

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Samonella

Re: The Rising Underworld

Post by Samonella »

Beon_Wyre wrote: June 25th, 2018, 6:05 pmMy miners are already facing the cave wall. When the next turn starts, all I can do is trying to move them onto the wall/next hex, which results the hex having a gold border, displaying 0% in the middle of that hex field.
Oh dear, that's exactly what it shouldn't do. :?

First thing to try is uninstalling the campaign, then downloading the 1.14 version. Like I said, I don't think that part of the code has changed... but it's worth a try. You should still be able to load the start-of-scenario save, and it will use the new version.

If that doesn't work, maybe you have some era installed with it's own version of the Dwarvish Miner that is somehow being used instead? Idk, this doesn't seem likely, but you can easily check by entering debug mode, and in the create unit dialog, if there is more than one entry for Dwarvish Miner then that's probably the problem.

Lastly, I do have a save for that scenario, but atm my only one is from a very fast testing run through so it doesn't have proper recall lists, which would be a big problem for one scenario up ahead. If worst comes to worst I could use debug mode to make one that has roughly the right recall lists for you.

Also, I'm curious to see if I'd have the problem using your save file. Could you post it?
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Beon_Wyre

Post by Beon_Wyre »

Hello Samonella,

Will do testing 1 (uninstall, install 1.14 version) that the day after tomorrow.

For testing 2, I would appreciate some direction. Just a short list of commands to get into the create unit dialog. I am computer and game savvy, know some coding, but don't want to learn the lingo for this from scratch. Just want to finish the campaign and help identify bugs and quirks along the way ;-)

Please don't bother with making a special game save for me with a working recall list. Way too much hassle!

About me posting a game save file: I have several for this scenario. Would you like the start, turn two, a turn where I have some non-working miners against the wall - smoking their last pipe while wearing a blindfold? :lol:

Thanks again for bearing with me and my problem!

Beon
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Beon_Wyre wrote: June 26th, 2018, 12:24 amFor testing 2, I would appreciate some direction. Just a short list of commands to get into the create unit dialog. I am computer and game savvy, know some coding, but don't want to learn the lingo for this from scratch. Just want to finish the campaign and help identify bugs and quirks along the way ;-)
Sure. First, type : to bring up the command window (or it might be ;?) and type debug to turn on debug mode. After you've done this, there's a list of debug mode commands in the help encyclopedia that you can use, but for this just right-click any tile and select the new "Create Unit" option. A dialog box should appear, and at its top is a search bar to enter "Dwarvish Miner." If there's only one entry then it was a waste of time. :roll:

Beon_Wyre wrote: June 26th, 2018, 12:24 am About me posting a game save file: I have several for this scenario. Would you like the start, turn two, a turn where I have some non-working miners against the wall - smoking their last pipe while wearing a blindfold? :lol:
Lol, I'll just take the start and the turn 1 ones. The start should load a fresh version of the scenario from the campaign files, so it will probably let me move the miners properly. The turn 1 one probably won't. But that's just a guess. (Also, you should use the start one when you download the new campaign version.)

Beon_Wyre wrote: June 26th, 2018, 12:24 am Thanks again for bearing with me and my problem!
Thanks for telling me about it, if there is a bug somewhere I definitely want to squash it!
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Beon_Wyre

Post by Beon_Wyre »

Update:

Installed 1.14.3a

a) copied campaign and save files from 1.12.6 to the corresponding folders 1.14.3a.
Result: Same behaviour as in 1.12.6 (described in previous posts.)

b) installed TRU on a clean 1.14.3a, using game save file "tRU-Where the Sun Never Shone.gz" (Scenario start)
Result: ERROR
Error while playing the game: game_error: unknown unit typ: Elvish Overlord

3) same install as above, but using game save file "tRU-Where the Sun Never Shone-Auto-Save1.gz" (Scenario start)
Result: Scenario starts,
I can hire dwarvish miners, which can cave fields through/behind the cave wall.
Game works fine, until Gomris (my loyal and quick Dwarvish Dragonthunderer, recalled from the list) kills the Troll King, gains experience, levels up to 3 and...
Result: ERROR
Error while playing the game: game_error: Could not find the unit being advanced to: Dwarvish Dragonguard

By acknowledging above Error, the game quits to Wesnoth Main Menu.

I hope above explanations were somehow informative.

Will try again tomorrow.

Cheers

Beon
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Beon_Wyre wrote: June 27th, 2018, 10:15 pmError while playing the game: game_error: unknown unit typ: Elvish Overlord
Whaaat? I've never used a unit with that type. :augh: Even if it was from an addon faction it shouldn't have wound up in the save.

Beon_Wyre wrote: June 27th, 2018, 10:15 pmError while playing the game: game_error: Could not find the unit being advanced to: Dwarvish Dragonguard
Whaaaaaat? That's even weirder, there's no reason that should be a problem.

Well, there's one more thing I could try. If you post your save, I think I can take the recall lists from it and paste them into my working save. I've never tried it before but if it goes smoothly it will only take a few minutes.

If that doesn't work and you can't figure anything else out, then you might be out of luck. :|

Beon_Wyre

Post by Beon_Wyre »

Hello Samonella,

as requested, I attach two save games.

The first one is the original 1.12.6 save: tRU-Where_the_Sun_Never_Shone.gz.

The second one is turn 1 on 1.14.3.a: tRU-Where_the_Sun_Never_Shone-Autospeichern1

May be you can provide some help, but please, without too much hassle for you!

Thanks again!

Beon
Attachments
tRU-Where_the_Sun_Never_Shone-Autospeichern1.gz
(152.37 KiB) Downloaded 649 times
tRU-Where_the_Sun_Never_Shone.gz
(47.52 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Alright, got it figured out. You had some addon, maybe more than one, that added a bunch of extra unit advancements, which is what caused the trouble in 1.14. The mining problem might have been related, I don't know. So I just had to zip down the list and remove the extra advancement options, and also delete a few units entirely that had advanced too high (and I replaced your heroes with the ones from my save, since some of them had already advanced too much).

From this save you should finally be able to finish! And if it happens that I missed a unit and the game crashes when one of your recalled units advances... lol reload and don't advance it.
Attachments
combined.gz
(35.18 KiB) Downloaded 623 times

ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Hey Samonella! The Rising Underworld is one of the best Wesnoth campaigns I've played so far, and it's amazing! Good plot, nice story, smart dialogue; it all fits together! If I may...

- Several of your scenarios are totally imbalanced. I'd say Northern Alliance would be the biggest. The castle is a good place to hold off for twenty turns, but the sheer weight of the three orcish sides simply overwhelms whatever the player can recruit, and almost always before turn 14. The way I beat that scenario was by retreating up north beside the Dwarven Doors, but that barely got me through, making me lose all my units (I had like four level 3 units that I had just leveled!) and forcing me to make my leaders retreat into the mountains. So I didn't gain anything. Was the campaign supposed to be this hard? If so, well done. If not, could you please do a rebalance?
- Another waaay imbalanced scenario is serpents and tentacles (or is is tentacles and serpents?). I had already leveled up the merman hero to triton, so that was a bonus, but even fully recruiting Naga warriors and bringing seven of them into that battle cavern with the tentacles made me lose. So I went into the code, gave myself 3000 gold, and allowed Mymidon and Triton recruits, though I still barely made it out of the scenario with all units gravely injured. Could you fix this as well?

But otherwise, this campaign is amazing. A rare gem in a sea of campaigns. Thank you for making this.
P.S. I was kind of sad to see Konrad III die. Have you considered making a custom unit sprite for him?
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

ResExsention wrote: July 28th, 2018, 11:48 pm Hey Samonella! The Rising Underworld is one of the best Wesnoth campaigns I've played so far, and it's amazing! Good plot, nice story, smart dialogue; it all fits together!
Wow, thanks! Personally I thought the plot was kind of drab. :P

ResExsention wrote: July 28th, 2018, 11:48 pm- Several of your scenarios are totally imbalanced.
Yeah, those were hard ones. I did mean for it to be pretty hard, though. Would you mind posting your replays? In Northern Alliance I always rush to beat the south-most orc team in the first 6-8ish turns, maybe that makes a bigger difference than I thought. And for Tentacles and Serpents, did you have any healers? That one must be impossible without one, and really hard without two.

I've always vaguely wanted to make an easier difficulty, and make the other a little harder too, but balancing 20 scenarios is sooo much work. :augh:

ResExsention wrote: July 28th, 2018, 11:48 pmP.S. I was kind of sad to see Konrad III die. Have you considered making a custom unit sprite for him?
Never crossed my mind, actually. I don't really make sprites myself, but I'm sure there are good ones for a human king somewhere on the forums.

ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Samonella, thanks! I would be willing to make a basic king sprite for Konrad III, if you'd like, though don't expect anything special; animations similar to that of an Elvish Fighter, etc... Tell me if you need me.

As for my replay on Northern Alliance... If you would just see how close I came to dying...

As for trying to beat the southern team, It's quite a futile effort, in my experience. When I tried that, I found that the orcs attacking from the side quickly overwhelmed my defences, so a hard stand in the north was my only option. Sorry about that. Even then, up there, I had to retreat my line twice just to stay alive. :augh: :augh: And then I sent my leaders into the mountains, sparing me for my last turns; though they couldn't have survived on more turn; the trolls and orcs were practically one hex away from an attack. But I made it. Barely. 8)
Attachments
tRU-The_Northern_Alliance_replay.gz
Northern Alliance and I'm barely alive!
(91.56 KiB) Downloaded 608 times

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

:shock: Wow, that was close. Two of the teams did have too solid a stream of reinforcements; they're supposed to get gold boosts if they're low (and one a couple turns after the dwarves appear) but have fairly low income other than that. Unfortunately I don't have a save of my own from 1.12 to see how it went, or even one from 1.14, actually. But I'll definitely take a closer look at that scenario and the tentacles one next time I work on tRU.

Actually, I seem to remember making the Northern Alliance easier while updating to 1.14. :hmm:
ResExsention wrote: July 30th, 2018, 11:42 pm I would be willing to make a basic king sprite for Konrad III, if you'd like, though don't expect anything special; animations similar to that of an Elvish Fighter, etc... Tell me if you need me.
Haha, it would be funny to have custom sprites only for a character who dies in the first scenario. But I'll message you if i'm still interested next time I work on this. Thanks!

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I've still got my replay if that helps. :D (In case you haven't noticed, elvish sorceresses are my favorite units)

ResEsxention - I think you should have tried to hold that giant clump of villages in the center - it would have generated a large income for you to keep recruiting, as well as prevent the orcs' income from getting as massive as it did. Giving up the center like that also meant giving up the keep so you couldn't recruit any reinforcements.
Attachments
tRU-The_Northern_Alliance_replay.gz
from wesnoth 1.12.5
(80.24 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Samonella, well, thank you for beginning a rebalancing effort. I'll definitely check it out sometime later, so I can continue to support your campaign's development.

As for you, Inky. I had considered holding out in the center but the futility of my efforts to attack the southern leader and his keep meant that as my forces defended my two flanks, the red team would swoop in and crush me. Trying to defend all three sides didn't work either, as the southeastern leader would just overwhelm me and I would be defeated in detail. And yes, Inky, Samonella, I did have quite a few powerful units in my recall list, but I didn't want to lose them, so I stuck to fresh recruits. So yeah, fresh recruits defending against level two units on two flanks and level one units on another; I'd rather have everybody defending one flank, concentrating my forces. So sorry, Inky. Holding the center, even with its massive amount of tents, doesn't work. Plus, up there, the dwarves could contribute, so that made things a little bit easier.

And Samonella, I've noticed that a lot of people were having problems with the dwarvish miners, but it worked fine with me in 1.12, so it's all right. You are actually the first person I've ever seen to have a unit meant specifically for mining. Thanks!

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Honorable Death
Thos 'Demon' things have the ability 'enshadows'. This ability apparently creates a portable timezone that's different from the surrounding time (it uses different pictures). Which is weird. Maybe you want to look for the ability 'obscures' (e.g. LotI or IftU), which has the same gameplay effect, but isn't being weird about the images used?
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Konrad2 wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 10:19 am Honorable Death
Thos 'Demon' things have the ability 'enshadows'. This ability apparently creates a portable timezone that's different from the surrounding time (it uses different pictures). Which is weird. Maybe you want to look for the ability 'obscures' (e.g. LotI or IftU), which has the same gameplay effect, but isn't being weird about the images used?
Ew, yeah I'm still using the old ToD sprites aren't I? Thanks for that catch.