legionnaire-horseman.png (3.6 KiB) Viewed 7904 times
nenau

Re: Nenau's sprites, advice welcome

Post by nenau »

Three civilians sprites:
oriental_queen.png
oriental_queen.png (5.41 KiB) Viewed 7725 times
I got a few issues with her :
* I didn't manage to give some deepness to her hair, because it's black...
* I was embarassed with the fact that she does not have anything in her hands, so she ended up with this puppet attitude.
oriental_king.png
oriental_king.png (5.15 KiB) Viewed 7725 times
oriental_sage.png
oriental_sage.png (4.89 KiB) Viewed 7725 times
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: Nenau's sprites, needing advice

Post by Vyncyn »

I made an edit to adress the issues you mentioned.
Even black hair can have highlights. I added some with grey pixels, but white could work too. Her shoulders were too broad. I made them slimmer and changed the pose a bit. One hand on the hip and another holding a fan feels a bit more natural.
The other sprites look nice, but i think they look a bit flat since you only use bright shades. If you add darker hues you can increase the kontrast.
Attachments
oriental-queen.png
oriental-queen.png (1.07 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
nenau

Post by nenau »

Thanks for the edit!
For the hilight in her hair, I had tried to use grey pixels, but it was not working because I was not parcimonius enough. Your proposal looks way better. About the fan, it looks good, but historically, there is no chance an oriental queen form the 1st century BC bears this fan design... I can't use a mirror as it would look odd (I'm using her in a dialogue scenario where she discusses war with other kings and generals). I will try to change the shape of the fan to make it an ancient greek fan. Not sure how it will end up though...
I agree the sage is flat. I'll re-shadow him with the full palette.

EDIT: The sprites
oriental_queen.png
oriental_queen.png (1.58 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
By the way, I made her leftmost arm 1 pixel shorter.
oriental_sage.png
oriental_sage.png (4.86 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
And for the king, I only modified a fex pixels...
Last edited by nenau on June 9th, 2018, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghype

Post by ghype »

hello there.
compared to the other sprites you made these last three have a lot more TC then usual. this sometimes can look very odd in-game if you get to have a more pooping out color or white and black. maybe reduce the TC on the queen/sage, so you have more space to give them a bigger palette of colours.
nenau

Post by nenau »

I belive the problem with too much TC is that the shading actually does not render exactly the same for the different colors. For those units, they will only be used in a dialogue sceario and they will be blue. I didn't feel them odd so I think they will keep their magenta clothes.
But I do agree it was not really smart to use so much TC. I'll keep that in mind for later.
nenau

Re: Nenau's sprites, advice welcomed

Post by nenau »

Hello,

I draw a sprite for my modern warfare campaign, and a few variations of it.
all.png
all.png (3.65 KiB) Viewed 7473 times
From left to right: sniper, RPG, machinegun, assault gun, medic, shotgun. They all have TC on the leftmost arm.
Other sprites should follow.

By the way, a comparison with the "standard" modern warfare sprite (see below) gives me a fair idea of the progress I have to do... I suspect the part I have to improve is the anti-aliasing of the overline, but I'd like to have a confirmation.
assault.png
assault.png (5.1 KiB) Viewed 7473 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

compared to your other sprites, these might be your best ones all tough the base sprite is the same and only the weapons change.

I dont see what the yellow scarf is suppose to be on the 3rd sprite with the machingun.
but maybe some more variations on the armour would fid. RPG/MG definitely are heavy classes and need heavier gear. healer should have a backpack too. shotgun could have some tactical as well as the sniper. the sniper could be even more camouflaged.

here are some militarised gnomes from an era I don't recall the author, but they have some ideas for armour variations for your units.
your sniper can have some leaf or even desert-ish camouflage on him:
officer hat idea:
idea for west:
armour variations:
Alchemister

Post by Alchemister »

Not spriting as is, I'd just point out one thing: Don't use red cross in games. For medic, use green cross or (better in this case) purple cross instead of red. We just don't want to have to deal with International Red Cross and its legal team protecting the symbol (which is what actually happened with several games).
Their reasoning is pretty sound, based on avoiding the trivialization of their flag and the symbolism it brings. Yes, they viciously guard their symbol to be able to help all sides of conflicts in real-world war zones.
I'm not sure if this happens with Red Crescent (their daughter organization for islamic countries) as well, but I think it might.
nenau

Post by nenau »

Thanks for the feedback!
ghype wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 6:49 pm compared to your other sprites, these might be your best ones all tough the base sprite is the same and only the weapons change.
Thanks! I'm not drawing in vain, after all!
ghype wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 6:49 pm I dont see what the yellow scarf is suppose to be on the 3rd sprite with the machingun.
It's the bullets for the machinegun (its main function is to distinguish the MG and the sniper).

You're right for the backpack of the medic. I'll add it.
ghype wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 6:49 pm shotgun could have some tactical as well as the sniper.
I don't understand this sentence.

About the leaf-camouflage, I want to actually draw a complete family of camouflaged sprites (with stealth and/or skirmisher bonuses). For the variations in the armor, I also intend to draw militia sprites. I'll use your examples for those.
Alchemister wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 11:20 pm Their reasoning is pretty sound, based on avoiding the trivialization of their flag and the symbolism it brings.
Actually, it seems legitimate. I'll see what other set of color than white and red I can use...
ghype

Post by ghype »

nenau wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 6:15 am It's the bullets for the machinegun (its main function is to distinguish the MG and the sniper).
it is not very clear, it looks more like a scarf then a magazine. the sprite would look much cleaner without it. maybe you fing a better way to display the long magazin.
ghype wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 6:49 pm shotgun could have some tactical as well as the sniper.
the guy could have some tactical gear*. the sniper too. i mean stuff like walkie talkies or back packs with some miscellaneous stuff.
nenau

Post by nenau »

Here we are with a few corrections:
all2gether.png
all2gether.png (3.77 KiB) Viewed 7330 times
Shotgun and sniper got a talkie, MG has a box instead of the bullet magazine and medic's color got black and white and he got a backpack (for all his medical stuff). I'll re-play a scenario to see if the MG and sniper are differentiable enough...
ghype

Post by ghype »

I like the changes. especially on the the medic.
the MGunner looks now better too. however, the drum mag usually sits in the mid of the rifle between the both hands, not at the end (the stock)