Hearthstone

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Afterman

Hearthstone

Post by The_Afterman »

Anyone play Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft? :)

Anyways, had some fun with a card generator.
Spoiler:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Hearthstone

Post by Velensk »

I do enjoy some Hearthstone.

It has one of the best free to play models I've seen and is a fun little game besides.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
cookie

Post by cookie »

I play when I have time.
It's always fun against friends and the playyysss. There's so many different styles possible to win. :lol:
Bye says the cookie.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Glad to find someone made a thread.
I just started playing this game, & i like it so far. my win rate in ranked matches sucks tho. One thing i hate is u nee 100 gold to buy a pack. Now u need 3 win in play mode to get 10 gold so 100 gold requires 30 wins :( Is there any faster way to get gold?
O, if anyone has any tips or new player, pls share. My fav faction is priest so far
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Whoah, that was creepy. I opened this thread and just when it popped up my phone vibrated - got an email from blizzard about hearthstone. O_O
Anyhow, I used to play it when it was released, but haven't touched the latest expansions. Back then I used to play druid or shaman (just like in wow), sometimes priest as well.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Bitron wrote: April 27th, 2018, 10:46 am Whoah, that was creepy. I opened this thread and just when it popped up my phone vibrated - got an email from blizzard about hearthstone. O_O
Anyhow, I used to play it when it was released, but haven't touched the latest expansions. Back then I used to play druid or shaman (just like in wow), sometimes priest as well.
That's definitely creepy. What if it's not a coincidence ? :lol:

Anyway, the initial zeal i had for hearthstone is gone approaching the 2 week threshold. Cant get higher than rank 20 in ranked, everyone has these meta decks, & they re very hard to beat without other meta decks. Gathering cards as a f2p takes forever and i have neither the time nor the inclination to play it rigorously. Basically not so different from other p2w games out there. I've decided to just do the daily quests and special events and be patient. Maybe i'll have some good cards a couple months into the future.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Hard for me to really give advice but I will give a couple comments.

I've never played Hearthstone hard but I've been free to playing it for forever in chunks of 3-7 games when I'm feeling braindead and the occasional arena run when I'm not. In this context, I've pretty much always found it a relaxing time filler that is just engaging enough to be interesting but not straining in any way. I've always felt like this was the way the game was meant to be played. Other people may play it differently but I don't envy them. Now I can see that it might be hard to take when one has the feeling that one needs to get their collection off the ground but I'd advise that the game probably isn't good for much longer a sitting than how long your quests last (or at least, how long they used to last, they seem to have changed this recently).

As for getting crushed, that felt like it was happening to me too when I first started out and I can imagine it being worse now. When I first started playing, it didn't take me long to get to rank 15 running a spellpower rogue deck made entirely from the cards I got doing all the new account quests. It seemed rough to me that I seemingly wasn't able to get past that point. Nowadays the power level of decks in general is much higher so I imagine even getting past rank 20 would be pretty hard on a bare bones collection. All I can say is that if you're f2p-ing, is that even once you have a collection, you'll still run into people who will be playing decks you can't build and that the game IMO isn't worth grinding yourself down over trying to get higher rank. Just be patient and you'll accumulate enough of a collection over time that you can put together things that are fun to play and sometimes are surprisingly effective. The standard pool rotates so you'll always be behind the curve on new meta decks and stuff but I've always found the game enjoyable enough anyway (though, in the rare instances where everyone else is playing control decks I find the game becomes a bit longer than I like but fortunately this usually seems to be a short lived thing).
--One piece of advice I can give is to make sure that you do get all the free handouts and to try the single player stuff. You can get a free death knight card for just starting the frozen throne single player content. The individual strong cards you get aren't enough to make a cohesive deck but they can give you something to work towards and/or give you the upper hand against someone else also not playing a cohesive deck. It's not like there's really any cost as a lot of the single player content is pretty good in it's own right even without rewards.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Velensk wrote: April 29th, 2018, 2:30 am Hard for me to really give advice but I will give a couple comments.
Everything u said resonates completely with what i have been thinking recently about hearthstone. Thanks a lot for the frank advice. I agree with the way u say the game should be played. It's not the kind of game that one should play rigorously, obsessed with winning and stuff. Thats just gonna lead to sadness. I have taken a more lighthearted approach to the game and found that its a lot more enjoyable this way. I play only a few matches each day, try to do the quests, and yes the single player content is really interesting and fun. The new witchwood monster hunts give free card packs of the new expansions and they are challenging as well. As for play mode, ive accepted the fact that if im gonna play ranked, im gonna lose more than ill win and cant really get very far in that aspect. Arena runs are fun tho, coz the playing field is more level, but it takes a lot gold so i can only play it once every 2 or 3 days. It's a good time passer for when im bored, but not the kind of game i can play for extended periods of time. Unlike Wesnoth :lol:

Hail Wesnoth !
Brusher

Post by Brusher »

Sudipta wrote: April 29th, 2018, 7:14 am
Velensk wrote: April 29th, 2018, 2:30 am Hard for me to really give advice but I will give a couple comments.
Everything u said about people's Quick Extender Pro benefits and resonates completely with what i have been thinking recently about hearthstone. Thanks a lot for the frank advice. I agree with the way u say the game should be played. It's not the kind of game that one should play rigorously, obsessed with winning and stuff. Thats just gonna lead to sadness. I have taken a more lighthearted approach to the game and found that its a lot more enjoyable this way. I play only a few matches each day, try to do the quests, and yes the single player content is really interesting and fun. The new witchwood monster hunts give free card packs of the new expansions and they are challenging as well. As for play mode, ive accepted the fact that if im gonna play ranked, im gonna lose more than ill win and cant really get very far in that aspect. Arena runs are fun tho, coz the playing field is more level, but it takes a lot gold so i can only play it once every 2 or 3 days. It's a good time passer for when im bored, but not the kind of game i can play for extended periods of time. Unlike Wesnoth :lol:

Hail Wesnoth !
I never played Hearthstone too seriously and I've always had a blast. Not that I didn't want to play it a lot and learn everything about it, I just didn't have the time for that. I'm always drawn by the dark side of RNG for some reason lol.
Last edited by Brusher on May 11th, 2022, 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Well i play the game everyday and make sure i at least complete the daily quests. I'm more of a arena player, i dont play ladder too much.(currently at rank 17) But, i transferred to the American Server a week ago and got 11 wins in the arena there which i have a hard time believing myself since my previous highest was 7.
RNG in hearthstone rocks. I feel that the outcomes of RNG rolls there are more often good than bad :lol: