Please suggestions for my attempts in creating unit art :D

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Tedder

Please suggestions for my attempts in creating unit art :D

Post by Tedder »

Hey guys, I am working on my own campaign for about 2 months now. I have created some unit art (started with pretty much frankensteining only :( )

What's your opinion? Any critique, negative and positive, is highly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Edit 1: Question: I have added the GNU v3 license on my GitHub repo, is that all right? Are these images licensed now? :D

Edit 2: BTW, these units are supposed to be a second advancement tree for the Skeleton Archer
Attachments
Skeleton Sniper (lvl 2) - Deathshooter (lvl 3)
Skeleton Sniper (lvl 2) - Deathshooter (lvl 3)
skeleton-archer-advancement.png (5.79 KiB) Viewed 5836 times
Sniper - Ranged
Sniper - Ranged
sniper-ranged.gif (8.06 KiB) Viewed 5837 times
Sniper - Melee
Sniper - Melee
sniper-melee.gif (7.27 KiB) Viewed 5837 times
Deathshooter - Ranged
Deathshooter - Ranged
deathshooter-ranged.gif (8.3 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
Deathshooter - Melee
Deathshooter - Melee
deathshooter-melee.gif (9.96 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: Please suggestions for my attempts in creating unit art :D

Post by Vyncyn »

The right arm of the deathshooter looks strange to me. Kinda like it's dislocated and dangling infront of the torso.
I'd suggest putting the bowstring behind the shoulder pat and making the breastplate a bit wider so the arm is partly covered by it
Tedder

Post by Tedder »

@Vyncyn, thank you for the reply! :) I will try to adapt the deathshooter to your suggestion.

- Breastplate a bit wider, good idea

- Bowstring behind the shoulder pat, I am not sure whether i got it right, because as the unit is drawn currently, the bowstring is actually intended to cross the shoulder from the front but behind the chest. What's about turn the entire chest a bit, also for the ranged attack frames? I hope you get what I mean :/ I am not the best in expression such stuff in english :D
My next thought now is as follows... When the deathshooter lifts his left arm with the bow, its body turns towards the right (spectators view, not the units view), and when the bowstring is tensed, not only the right arm is pulled to the left, in addition to that, the entire body turns back towards the left, like the standing image is drawn atm. This would make it look more real I guess.
Opinions about my last thought?
ghype

Post by ghype »

i like the animations a lot, but the lv3 seems to be a bit thin for a lv3. yes it wears armour and has a different bow, but the lv2 is a bit thicker, something feels off.
Tedder

Post by Tedder »

@ghype, thanks for reply! I agree, it seems to be a bit thin for a lvl 3 unit.

Originally, my first thoughts were about adding a second advancement for the skeleton archer, like the usual skeletal axe fighter has (revenant and deathblade). In the beginning, the Skeleton Sniper was intended to be an AMLA unit, like deathblade. After the Sniper was finished, I thought about adding a lvl 3 advancement.

Since my first thoughts about the Deathshooter and since the beginnings of my attempts to draw the Deathshooter, it has been too tiny. I was thinking about making it bigger, but anything I did was just looking weird :(

I just spent few minutes in adjusting the bowstring.
Attachments
Just adjusted bowstring, without quiver
Just adjusted bowstring, without quiver
_deathshooter-new.png (10.8 KiB) Viewed 5736 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

if you try to make an authentic 2nd advancement to default archer, then the biggest concern I'd have right now is the color palette of your skels armour.
it's armour looks very clean which, with the exception of the death knight sprite, all default skeleton armours are worn down and rusty.
I atached some examples.
you'd need to add much more brown/green colours for the rust. as for the size of the armour, i think the default armour parts are quit fitting too, because I
see your going for an armoured archer. maybe the lv2 could have a bit armour too. so the advancement looks much smoother.

I attached a skeleton archer line of my own, maybe you get a feeling a such a progression could look like, regarding the armour.
default:
here are mine:
enclave

Post by enclave »

i like the sniper but deathshooter looks a bit like rugby player, not sure if it could be changed by coloring.. sorry if I'm a bit critical.. =]
the ghypes skeletons look too dark :D not realistic :D to the protocol, I never seen real skeletons anyway.. so... I'm not experienced in the subject.

PS. but I agree that armor should match the other skeletons ideally of lvl3 to make them not too obviously out of line:)
Last edited by enclave on June 11th, 2018, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghype

Post by ghype »

enclave wrote: June 11th, 2018, 11:06 am ghypes skeletons look too dark
that doesnt matter, the solely purpose of showing them was to see how an skeletal unit progression could look like armour and weapon wise.
showing how the armour could change in leveling up in comparison to his skeletons where I somehow miss a smooth unit progression

if you want to know it, these skeletons are so dark cause they are burned/necromantic like default walking corpses.
Tedder

Post by Tedder »

@ghype, Thank you so much for your advices and suggestions, I will give my best in the next days, though it will probably take a bit longer until I am posting my changed unit arts, because I am busy with other campaign development ATM.

@enclave, No worries for being critical - It's what I want and need! Any suggestions and notices of defects are welcome - I am not presenting my unit art work proudly. I came here for such comments. Thanks!
ghype

Post by ghype »

on a different note:
the sizes of the bows visually do not vary too much. the jump from the lv1 archer to your lv2 is very big, but the jump from lv2 bow size to lv3 is minimal.
I'd suggest to shorten lv2 bow a bit.
it looks like in the lv2 attack animation, the bow gets bigger and bigger with each frame. in the defense animation however, it looks like it becomes smaller, because you use in the final frame the default lv1 bow.