iOS Cross Savegame and Multiplayer

All questions/issues/feedback for the iOS version of Wesnoth belong here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maxihoernchen

iOS Cross Savegame and Multiplayer

Post by Maxihoernchen »

Got to play Wesnoth for the first time some weeks ago on my iPad 6th Gen.
Is there a way to get the savegames from there onto my Mac and to play online multiplayer cross platform against Mac and Windows players?

Sorry for the noobish question, but i did not really find an answer to that elsewhere.

Greetings,
Maxihoernhcen
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Re: iOS Cross Savegame and Multiplayer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

The save games can be copied and used on your desktop or another device. The storage location differs by platform. Use whatever tool you usually use (Finder, scp, ftp, whatever) to move them around.

You can start a local networked multiplayer game and connect to it. Except for the network address, it's the same as the official MP server. I'd suggest using a desktop or laptop. You'll want to be sure the devices are all using the same version, though: for example. don't expect a 1.10 to play well with a 1.12 server or opponent. It may work, but probably not; expect problems when you mix versions.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Welcome to the forum!

I’m afraid there is no standard way to take files out of iOS app, unless the app implements it.
It’s a planned feature, but not there yet.

Good news is - you don’t really need to take saves out to play multiplayer cross-platform.
The iOS and desktop versions are slightly out of sync, but you should be able to play MP on the official server.
A new update that syncs with the latest Wesnoth is being built today and will be available when it goes through Apple review process.
Maxihoernchen

Post by Maxihoernchen »

Thanks a lot for your replies! I didn't notice that the iOS App is on the beta version of the game, so I had to download the development version for Desktop aswell in order to get MP running. But since that it's working fine! But it's a shame, that it is not possible to sync the savegames yet, would like that feature a lot!
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

It's a pretty frequent request. I'm researching what it takes to upload saves to iCloud, from where they can be downloaded.
Maxihoernchen

Post by Maxihoernchen »

Btw, since the latest update to the iOS Version (1.14) I am not able to load my savegames anymore :( Is this a desired behavior?
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

No and as just posted, a hotfix is coming
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Sorry! Definitely not desired, while intended for the upgrades between major releases.
I think your saves are still salvageable: https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48050
Maxihoernchen

Post by Maxihoernchen »

Ah I see, okay, no problem, thank you very much in advance!
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Maxihoernchen wrote: April 29th, 2018, 6:59 pm Btw, since the latest update to the iOS Version (1.14) I am not able to load my savegames anymore :( Is this a desired behavior?
With the today hotfix release, your saves must be back. Sorry!
Maxihoernchen

Post by Maxihoernchen »

Indeed, update went through and saves are back und running, no problem whatsoever! :)
Spoothi

Post by Spoothi »

Hi guys, I’m new on this forum. But I am thinking about buying the iPhone version of thebgamento play multiplayer with my friend that uses the Pc version on Steam. But my question is that the iPhone version is 1.10.5 and the version of the Pc is 1.14. Would the multiplayer still would work fine? Thanks!
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Sorry, iPhone version (1.10) will not work with PC 1.14. Moreover, 1.10 multiplayer server is down.
Currently, only iPad version is based on 1.14, so only iPad is compatible with mainline PC.
Spoothi

Post by Spoothi »

singalen wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 2:48 am Hi, welcome to the forums!

Sorry, iPhone version (1.10) will not work with PC 1.14. Moreover, 1.10 multiplayer server is down.
Currently, only iPad version is based on 1.14, so only iPad is compatible with mainline PC.
Thanks! I just bought the iPhone version anyway. But if I want to play the iPad version would I have to pay for that too?
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Currently, yes, you would. Once iPhone version is ready, it will be an universal binary, and the owners of any one should be able to upgrade for free.
I don't have an ETA yet, sorry.