My game wont let me save

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
JasonBaggins

My game wont let me save

Post by JasonBaggins »

When my game tries to auto save it gives me a prompt to save the game manually first but when I go to save the game manually it wont save it says that access is denied and I don't know how to give it the necessary access.
Here is a full report The Battle for Wesnoth version 1.14.0 (f5fd48d-Clean)
Running on Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0.16299)

Game paths
==========

Data dir: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\wesnoth
User config dir: C:\Users\USER\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14
User data dir: C:\Users\USER\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14
Saves dir:
Add-ons dir: C:\Users\USER\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons
Cache dir: C:\Users\USER\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\cache

i dont know how to get it to make a saves directory please help.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: My game wont let me save

Post by octalot »

It seems there's some incompatibility between OneDrive and Wesnoth.
JasonBaggins

Post by JasonBaggins »

I’ve already uninstalled one drive
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

If you go into your user data (C:\Users\USER\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14 as per the log above), is there a saves folder in there already, or a file with the exact same name? If there isn’t, what happens if you try to create a folder with that name yourself?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
JasonBaggins

Post by JasonBaggins »

It workers there were two files named save and saves for some reason but I deleted them both and it worked great thanks again for all the help and the great game.
MrSam94

Post by MrSam94 »

Just installed the game today, was going through the tutorial but it kept on saying the same message for me. Can't auto save, must save manually, doesn't let me do that either. Checked out the user data as had been suggested, although that hasn't worked either. Any further suggestions?

Edit: I deleted both the saves folder and the save_index and it saved the first part of my tutorial on the first turn, then on the second turn the save "Cannot auto-save" message turned up. I've gone back to the user data and the folders have been created again without me doing anything.
enclave

Post by enclave »

MrSam94 wrote: May 16th, 2018, 11:56 am Just installed the game today, was going through the tutorial but it kept on saying the same message for me. Can't auto save, must save manually, doesn't let me do that either. Checked out the user data as had been suggested, although that hasn't worked either. Any further suggestions?

Edit: I deleted both the saves folder and the save_index and it saved the first part of my tutorial on the first turn, then on the second turn the save "Cannot auto-save" message turned up. I've gone back to the user data and the folders have been created again without me doing anything.
Are the folders that appeared "read only" if you right click on them?
MrSam94

Post by MrSam94 »

Both the save_index and the save from the first turn contained in the saves folder are read only. However, the save_index opens with notepad etc. as a bunch of symbols and the file from the saves folder doesn't open at all.
enclave

Post by enclave »

have you tried to "untick" read-only? would it allow you to save then? (I'm not a developer, but this might work..)
MrSam94

Post by MrSam94 »

Oh, I can't see any box that has an option to tick when I right click either of the files. I've just tried deleting the files again but they keep on popping back up in the same condition, the first turn save doesn't disappear. I hope I can find a solution, I was really enjoying what I have played of the game so far!
enclave

Post by enclave »

maybe saves folder read-only can be unticked? I'm sure there will be a solution, sooner or later. Hopefuly developers could help better..
MrSam94

Post by MrSam94 »

I've just found the box, it has been marked read-only this whole time. However, when I untick it and save all the changes, it just goes back to a ticked box
enclave

Post by enclave »

I went to check my saves folder, and strangely it's ticked as read only Too... but saving/autosaving works fine to the best of my knowledge..
So the problem must be somewhere else... I hope developers could help when they come online. For now we could try to gather as much information about the problem for them...
1) Do you use one drive software? (this has been known to cause huge amount of issues with wesnoth 1.14)
2) In game preferences -> advanced tab, what says in "compress saved games"? Mine says "Gzip"
3) What exactly is your operating system windows 7 or 10?
4) Is your wesnoth installed through steam or not?
5) not sure what else can help them figure out the problem :D maybe upload here the today's date log file from this directory: C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\logs
PS. i forgot to mention that there is a chance that your addon/campaign might have bug that forbids saving.. you could try to run local multiplayer game with default era and see if it lets you save or not...
MrSam94

Post by MrSam94 »

I do use one drive, tried to install directing it away from one drive but I couldn't find a way to. My in game preferences also say Gzip. Also, my operating system is windows 10 and yes, I installed it with steam. It also says 'Error validating data core' whenever I load the game up or try to open a new map