[UtBS] Name for Quenoth scout mounts

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What should the antelope-like things ridden by the Quenoth scouts be called?

Poll ended at May 6th, 2018, 11:31 pm

ibynx
27%
dustbok
45%
perilope
27%
write-in candidate
No votes

Total votes: 11

doofus-01
Art Director

[UtBS] Name for Quenoth scout mounts

Post by doofus-01 »

It's possible I missed something, but I think there is still no settled name for the antelope things that the new Quenoth scouts ride.
(download/file.php?id=80060&t=1)
There were a couple brief, abortive discussions that I know of, one of them here:
viewtopic.php?p=626846#p626844

One name I had suggested was "dustbok" (can be referred to colloquially as "dusties"?) There are lots of similar variations that can be made from the <descriptive>{bok, beest, lope, etc.} pattern.

Other suggestions?

This can't drag on for too long, so I doubt a poll will work. Let's hope someone posts a clear and obvious winner.
EDIT: Actually, let's do a quick poll.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
nemaara
Developer

Re: [UtBS] Name for Quenoth scout mounts

Post by nemaara »

I gave a list of names to zookeeper, which follows:

perilope
camelope
orynx
ibynx
carapra
ungulope
vicunelle
guanalope

He said he liked perilope and ibynx the most, I also happen to like orynx and vicunelle. I can explain the etymology of the words if necessary.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I'd like to hear the etymology of the words, just because I'm interested in that kind of thing.

Of nemaara's, I personally like ibynx; I also think dustbok is nice.

There was some discussion about this in another thread too (the dunefolk description one if I recall correctly?) which mentions a few other possible names, maybe those should be copied here for completeness.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Hmm, actually a lot of it should be referred to as taxonomy, not etymology. Oh well. Let's go in order.

Peri - prefix meaning "around or near"; Lope - refers to "bounding stride", e.g. the way an antelope gallops. You could interpret "peri" as being something referring to the domestic nature of these animals, being "around or near" humans.

Camelope should be self explanatory.

Orynx - "Oryx" is the genus for several antelope species, so I added an n to distinguish it from the actual word, since I don't think antelopes grow to the size where you can ride them.

Ibynx - Ibex is a type of goat-like animal (I forget if it's actually classified as a goat or not). The "ynx" suffix is used for different types of cats, so I combined the two syllables.

Carapra - Capra is the genus for goats, so I gave it a bit of flair.

Ungulope - Ungulates are hoofed mammals, often goat-like.

Vicunelle - A vicuña is a type of camel-like creature, and the elle comes from gazelle. -Elle is a suffix referring to something diminutive (possibly cute).

Guanalope - Similarly, a guanaco is another camel-like creature.

There's a lot of possibilities, just keep each syllable where it remains in the original (e.g. lope should probably be a suffix, -ynx is a suffix, ungu- is a prefix, etc.).
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Of the suggestions so far, I think I personally like dustbok and perilope best. There's some others like ibynx which technically sound fitting, but seem like they'd be a bit clunky in practise, and I feel like a more mundane and easily flowing name would work better when they're mentioned to in dialogue (which arguably only happens in a few places).

Dunelope? :whistle:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ibynx, perilope, and dustbok would all be better than "horses" or "antelopes", so at least we're getting somewhere.
zookeeper wrote: May 5th, 2018, 7:14 amDunelope?
I'd figured "dune" should be avoided because of the recently added "Dunefolk", but maybe that's not a real problem.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 5th, 2018, 5:02 am There was some discussion about this in another thread too (the dunefolk description one if I recall correctly?) which mentions a few other possible names, maybe those should be copied here for completeness.
If there were other names mentioned somewhere that you liked, please throw them in!

How long do we have to replace the "horses"? String freeze isn't lifted for very long, is it?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Duneantehorsealopeix :p
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Looks like there were only a few ideas in the unit descriptions thread:
beetlenaut wrote: April 30th, 2018, 6:55 am I would suggest something that's similar to an antelope species so it may bring one to mind: Dunebok, Beylond, Aurichs.
Sur_191 wrote: April 30th, 2018, 7:13 am Maybe "Dorcas"?
I really don't like that last one though.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Gotta say, I like dustbok most, but most work for me and afterwards its simply a matter of accustomization.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I'm strongly pumping for Orynx, myself.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Orynx sounds like a rock, and dustbok sounds orcish, imo. I like ibynx.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

OK, despite what I said in my first post, maybe I will set up a poll. It may not be the most fair poll and it may not be up very long, but it's still better than flipping a coin. I'll put whatever one is ahead tomorrow in a text string PR. Thanks for the input, everyone.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I will now try to squeeze in a PR for replacing "horses" with "dustboks", in the scenario dialogues. I'm not sure if it will be in 1.14.1 or not. There will still be a need to flesh out the unit descriptions.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

So, Dustbok. Personally the -bok part sounds a bit strange to me, since "Bock" is in German referring to the male of Sheeps, Goats and alike, or rather a specific of the ones (google images will serve a better explanation) Though, they have as well interesting horns.

It would be better to go into 1.14.2, while there is no hard string freeze for 1.14.1, this will appear untranslated in other languages.
Speaking of which, a translation hint would be good.
Try out the dark board theme.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Shiki wrote: May 7th, 2018, 2:38 pm So, Dustbok. Personally the -bok part sounds a bit strange to me, since "Bock" is in German referring to the male of Sheeps, Goats and alike, or rather a specific of the ones (google images will serve a better explanation) Though, they have as well interesting horns.
Right, it's Dutch origin, reflects real-world African fauna, and that could be an argument against it (colonialism). But we needed something, the name was chosen in a somewhat open manner and this shouldn't be bike-shed'd. If there are better suggestions, and it weaves into the UtBS sub-universe somehow, feel free to offer proposals. Hopefully BfW 1.14 isn't the last release.