Folk from the deep forest

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xaius

Folk from the deep forest

Post by Xaius »

Hello everyone, I have been playing wesnoth for a long and have always wanted to make my own faction for multiplayer and local. I tried previously years ago, but I was unable, however, to figure wml out. Years have passed and I am now determined to create this faction. I would love the community's help, but I am a new member and assume that there are many more people asking for help than providing it. So what I would like to say is that, no matter how long it takes, I will make this faction happen. I would love help, but I don't expect it. Because of this, I plan on being available to help others who need help making their own content, once I have completed this project. I am going to wait a bit longer before posting the work I have completed on it, so that I don't waste anyone's time with what I am comfortable doing myself, and so that the remaining work will have a clear vision. I have also considered paying someone to help me as thanks and to speed up the process. It would be a small sum, maybe 20 dollars at most, but I am happy to take the time and do as much as I can myself, so that I can be more helpful to others in the future. I feel like money would make this project more complicated than necessary and would lead to more problems than needed however, but please do know that I would be very thankful for any help, especially programming the faction or animating sprites(static sprites take long enough by themselves).

For a brief explanation on the faction, it is composed of nature based units that your mind might imagine seeing in a dark forest at night. The most basic/versatile unit (think elvish fighter) also happens to be based off the floran race from starbound and wargroove. The units would also require the addition of two new traits, photosynthesis, and momentum, but if momentum proves too difficult it could easily be removed.

So that's that. I should be ready in a couple days to just over a week since I'm busy. Thank you for taking time to look over this post, and have a good one.
The_Gnat

Re: Folk from the deep forest

Post by The_Gnat »

Welcome to the wesnoth forums! I look forward to seeing what you have made so far!
ghype

Post by ghype »

Xaius wrote: April 25th, 2018, 7:24 am I would be very thankful for any help, especially programming the faction
6 months ago i was in the same situation as you. i had my sprites already done, but i had 0 clue on how to program them. got excellent guidance from one of the moderators and author of many great things. so don't be shy to ask questions, we all were there at some point in the past.
Last edited by ghype on April 26th, 2018, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xaius

Post by Xaius »

ghype wrote: April 25th, 2018, 6:42 pm
6 months ago i was in the same situation as you. i had my sprites already done, but i had 0 clue on how to program them. got excellent guidance from one of the moderators and author of many great things. so don't be shy to ask questions, we all were there at some point in the post.
[/quote]

I am quickly realizing how awesome this community is. I would probably say my skill in programming is about zero, but I have a good understanding of how programming works since I learned the basics at one point and have friends and relatives that can as well as some programmers I watch on twitch.
If I'm able to take and copy another faction's code and overlap my units that should make this alot easier; and even if I can't, it'll probably help figure out how it works.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

There's a WML tutorial right here that takes you through the basics. I don't remember if it covers factions and eras or not, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out with reference.
Speaking of reference, there are also a couple of pages on basic code reference and macro reference, if you haven't run across them already. I've found them invaluable assets.
I look forward to seeing this faction!
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Xaius

Post by Xaius »

Folk from the Deep Forest Unit Sheet

Here’s what I have done so far. The level 3 units still need a little work as well as the xp it costs to level into them, but the level 1 units are done besides minor balancing during testing and the level 2 units are solid. If you see anything thay could be improved for the level 1's let me know. I am a little concerned some of them might cost a little too much xp to level up. The names of units in the level tree are still very flexible but I’m happy with the recruitable ones. I will probably do some sketches of the units aa reference for pixel art, but I do have descripti9ns of them at the bottom. Any new keywords I used are listed near the bottom of this post.

Recruitable units

Spoiler:

Level trees

Spoiler:

New keywords:

Spoiler:

Unit Descriptions:

Spoiler:
(I have a few of the unit’s pixel art started on but they need more work still and none of them are animated at all)
Last edited by Xaius on May 6th, 2018, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghype

Post by ghype »

you could post your progressions on the sprites here all-tough this techincally is not the right thread for this, but feedback is always good.

also note, u can use the spoiler function to hide longer text and open them only if you want. this way you avoid this ageless scrolling.
u can edit you post and do it even once the post was posted.
Xaius

Post by Xaius »

ghype wrote: May 6th, 2018, 9:29 pm you could post your progressions on the sprites here all-tough this techincally is not the right thread for this, but feedback is always good.

also note, u can use the spoiler function to hide longer text and open them only if you want. this way you avoid this ageless scrolling.
u can edit you post and do it even once the post was posted.
Cool, I shall do that. I was trying to decide what the best solution was for that. I might make another thread for the art process.