New on sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Escanor

New on sprites

Post by Escanor »

Hi! I have been playing Battle for Wesnoth for a long time but only recently I got interested in trying to make sprites and here is goblin sprite that I made. I only changed his color to green and gave him a club instead of spear. Comments about how I can improve are welcomed.
Attachments
his name is Carl
his name is Carl
goblin with a club.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 8185 times
"as a god of demons...how does it feel to be looked down upon by a human?" --Escanor
SFault

Re: New on sprites

Post by SFault »

I would lower the saturation of the green color and add outlines to the cap and club.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Escanor

Post by Escanor »

Here is another one I made quickly.

unit description: Goblins who somehow manage to survive long enough in the battlefields get equiped with better armors and weapons from their orc brothers. Sometimes tought they use their small build to sneak on enemy camp and steal their armor and weapon from there. Many usually die trying but those who manage to do it are easily recogniced by their kin and enemies.
Attachments
Armored Goblin
Armored Goblin
goblin with a sword.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 8144 times
"as a god of demons...how does it feel to be looked down upon by a human?" --Escanor
Escanor

Post by Escanor »

SFault wrote: April 30th, 2018, 4:11 pm I would lower the saturation of the green color and add outlines to the cap and club.

Will do! thanks for the tip.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

One small thing that's important to know is that you shouldn't draw the team colour - in this case red, which you've used on both your goblins. Instead, you should use magenta - like the armoured goblin's shield - and the game will automatically update that to team-colour if the sprites are used in game.

Also, try putting them on transparent backgrounds. Again, this is useful for in game, but it also makes it easier to view them on here.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

There is also a complete wiki page about creating art for Wesnoth with tutorials, information about conventions and more. :)
Escanor

Post by Escanor »

Flameslash wrote: April 30th, 2018, 10:49 pm One small thing that's important to know is that you shouldn't draw the team colour - in this case red, which you've used on both your goblins. Instead, you should use magenta - like the armoured goblin's shield - and the game will automatically update that to team-colour if the sprites are used in game.

Also, try putting them on transparent backgrounds. Again, this is useful for in game, but it also makes it easier to view them on here.
Thanks! didn't know that.

Bitron wrote: April 30th, 2018, 11:02 pm There is also a complete wiki page about creating art for Wesnoth with tutorials, information about conventions and more. :)
Thanks! it will come handy.

And here is my recent work. Feel free to criticize about what looks wrong and where I could improve.
Attachments
goblin lv1, 2 and 3.png
goblin lv1, 2 and 3.png (7.75 KiB) Viewed 8024 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

i can see some sort of progress but i don not find the skin colors natural. mostly due to the hue and shading
here are some other unit with a greenish skin colour.

I'd recommend to try out some color palette and try to imitate their shading
Attachments
warrior.png
warrior.png (1.5 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
greatwyvern3.png
greatwyvern3.png (10.72 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
wyvern-moving.png
wyvern-moving.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
healer-defend-1.png
healer-defend-1.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
toadshaman-magic2.png
toadshaman-magic2.png (10.8 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
Escanor

Post by Escanor »

I tried to do what you suggested and here is how it went.

I used different green tones with them and my question is which of these three goblins has the best green hue and shade? in my opinion lv.3 goblin has the best green tone but I would like to know what others think too.
Attachments
goblin lv1, 2 and 3 version2.png
goblin lv1, 2 and 3 version2.png (8.31 KiB) Viewed 7947 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

well well, i see so much improvement, well done!

but you can now see that ur gobos have all different palette, maybe try to give each unit line the same skin palette?
its not mandatory, but it would make more sense, right?

u can choose 1 of the 3 palettes and give other units lines either the same or one of the two remaining palette
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Personally I think the level two is the best looking palette there, followed by the level three.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Flameslash wrote: May 8th, 2018, 11:28 am Personally I think the level two is the best looking palette there, followed by the level three.
same
ghype

Post by ghype »

enclave wrote: May 8th, 2018, 11:37 am
Flameslash wrote: May 8th, 2018, 11:28 am Personally I think the level two is the best looking palette there, followed by the level three.
same
i agree on that in terms of skin and armor palette.
however, the club has much better shading on lv3 then on lv2

actually I find the shading on the lv3 club really good
enclave

Post by enclave »

ghype wrote: May 8th, 2018, 1:23 pm i agree on that in terms of skin and armor palette.
however, the club has much better shading on lv3 then on lv2

actually I find the shading on the lv3 club really good
y the club is better, agreed;)
Escanor

Post by Escanor »

Hi again! Here is something I made just today.

Allfather Odin

I had some difficulties trying to make him out of scraps so there will be lots of mistakes and maybe it looks little bit ugly. I myself am displeased with his lower part of the body and I could have chosen better colors for him. Let me know what you guys think.
Attachments
Odin.png
Odin.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 7700 times