Galactic Empires (Wesnoth in Space)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kipples

Re: Galactic Empires (MP Sci-fi Scenario)

Post by Kipples »

I disagree that GE is lacking an AI thus resulting in lack of pick up from newer players, the tutorial does a good job of introducing the mechanisms involved. The real issue is after the tutorial you are thrown into a map like Beta where you now have a lot of decisions to make and it takes 2 hours to realise you screwed up the early game so hard it was over in the first 20 minutes. GE needs the isar equivalent, a super small quick to play map that has reduced decision making early on and has you interacting with your opponent(s) within the first couple of turns. This would give new players a fast feedback loop to learn the strategy of GE quickly.

The big issue I have with GE and why I don't really enjoy playing that much anymore is that it is very unbalanced with regards to choice in strategy. In its current state you don't really have much choice as far as overall strategy goes. Economy (food,gold,research) is just too strong there are no threats to it at all. You are basically forced to play this single player min-max economy puzzle for hours until you hit a certain point and then you go and spam ships at your opponent and you find out who was better at the economy puzzle. You are discouraged from doing anything other than this, if you spend gold on ships, your opponent just defensively and reactionary spends gold on ships so that neither has superior numbers and then continues the puzzle and you are punished because you spent a turn buying ships and not increasing your economy. Invasions don't stop this either as it is much the same story you can see the entire map very quickly so you know where transport ships are so can react and respond.

I think the proposed changes to invasions may help with this but its still not enough, I think that having an enemy ship in orbit around a planet should weaken that planets economy somehow. This would encourage splitting up your ships and try and sneak them around adding to a more dynamic play rather than the ball of ships surrounding the flagship style that we see now. It would also go a long way to detering the economic puzzle problem giving meaningful player interactions.

I would welcome a change to how science is done anything that makes the tech tree easier/clearer to reason about would be nice. Due to the economy puzzle problem you really don't have much choice in research anyway not getting the economy boosting research early is a losing move right now, new players not knowing this results in the 2 hour game where you find out you lost in the first 3 turns issue.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

I think I should post my replay vs CP.

Btw to conclude whether the economy rush is the only valid style would require more games and on smaller maps, bigger maps I think favor the style greatly.
Attachments
2p_-_GE__Alpha_Quadrant_Balance_Test_Turn_11_(35080).bz2
(39.37 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
2p_-_GE__Alpha_Quadrant_Balance_Test_Turn_21_(37685).bz2
(122.99 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
rcoit

Post by rcoit »

I would really love to see this ported 1.14. It does not seem to be available on the 1.14 download site.

Please and Thank you
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

rcoit wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 4:45 pm I would really love to see this ported 1.14. It does not seem to be available on the 1.14 download site.

Please and Thank you
Not sure if this is official, but if you copy the folder with the addon from a 1.12 install (you can find the addon path somewhere in preferences, I think) and paste it in the 1.14 install (addon path in the lower left corner; click on the i), it'll work. All you have to do is go to the file planet_upgrades.cfg (in the addon folder/Galactic Empires/files) and change "variable=planet" to "variable=stored unit" the one place it appears in the file (in a tag marked by [unstore_unit]).
rcoit

Post by rcoit »

Thanks Aisha

I have also found that if you download the addon for for 1.13 from http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.13/Ga ... es.tar.bz2 That also appears to work
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey Aisha & rcoit. I've put the latest version of Galactic Empires on the add-on server for 1.14. It's the same as the last update for 1.13, but that had lots of changes that you might not have seen before. Any problems let me know.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Kipples

Post by Kipples »

Getting the following error after first installing the add-on and on first time joining multiplayer.
The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
/home/kipples/.local/share/wesnoth/1.14/data/add-ons/Galactic_Empires/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Macro/file '~add-ons/Galactic_Empires/maps/galaxy-alt' is missing
at ~add-ons/Galactic_Empires/scenarios/1p_GE_Test.cfg:5
included from ~add-ons/Galactic_Empires/_main.cfg:23
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks Kipples. You can ignore that message (or you can simply delete the file: "add-ons/Galactic_Empires/scenarios/1p_GE_Test.cfg"). I just forgot to remove my test scenario before uploading it. It's removed in the latest version.
My current projects:
Kipples

Post by Kipples »

Hi all,

I have made a new GE map and uploaded it to the add-on server under "Extra GE Scenarios"

The map is a lot smaller than those that currently exist I did this to try and downplay the economy focus playstyles that I feel are forced upon you with the larger maps. The map should also have the effect of reducing the overall play time.

I did a brief pass with regards to balance focusing on preventing P1 rushes being too strong, hoping to get some feedback regarding balance in general but especially regarding P1 rushing.
Attachments
Ion_Nova.png
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Nice, finally one of my favorite mods have been added to the 1.14 server!

And with a new map to boot coutesy of Kipples :D

Attached are a couple of test games for version 1 of the map (I understand our test resulted in further tweaks, await version 2 ok?)

I include the 1st one because I was hit with new map possibilities for map making: Warp Planets / Tiles. So you could place it such that if you beam down on a planet, you beam down on a completely different one on the other side of the map (call it, Quantum Entangled Planets?) / or have multiple planets warp into a super planet. There is also the idea of tiles in certain planets having stargate tiles that lead to other planets.

This new map is a much needed "fast" 1 v 1 map with a much longer early game. We ended a game by turn 16 guys, with an invasion by turn 10ish!

Some notes:
-Does driller salvage need to be nerfed to 6 - 8 per g?
-Could Flagship have a cancel mechanism so that stoned flagships are not out of commission the entire game (I mean, flagship is just a construct after all). Perhaps have a re-assignment penalty of 1 or 2 turns. This is devastating enough without counting the transportation time for new flagship to arrive.
-This map doesn't have the customizable tech/ critter/ artifact options coz Kipples didn't want to mess with the code too much. Would be nice for customizability like in other GE maps.

P.S. Is there a changelog for the changes? I was intrigued by the Empire Options (the ally sharing stuff for example) I wonder what other directions you want to put that menu through?
Attachments
2p - GE Ion Nova replay Iildari vs Dwartha.gz
(63.35 KiB) Downloaded 614 times
2p - GE Ion Nova replay.gz
(45.17 KiB) Downloaded 637 times
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

As requested, here is the changelog for the latest version of Galactic Empires. I've incorporated many of the changes/patches and some of the maps others made for the previous version. I'd be happy to include kipple's new map in a future version if it proves to be balanced and offers a new gameplay angle.

Code: Select all

Changes 3.1
- Updated all option menus with the new 1.4 keys
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to go into negative gold when buying sequential upgrades
- New intro image and 'return' button
- Incorporated patch 1.1 made by Generous (population cap)
- Incorporated Kipples' map balances and flag fix, and Can-ned_Food's terrain fix
- Fixed the flag showing up on other MP games
- Planets and HQs no longer change direction when attacked
- Each planet now has a population limit. When reached it stops producing citizens until some beam away or die
- Workers no longer add gold or food when on an enemy planet, but they do when on planet belonging to an ally
- Workers and scientists cannot work or research when adjacent to an enemy unit
- Added some amazing sci-fi portraits by Justin Nicol
- Created 'Empire Options' available from Homeworld HQ
- Nerfed the damage dealt by the Terran Interceptor/Striker and Patrol/Guardian by -1
- Updated tutorial to mention some of the new rules
- Fixed food processor
- Improved the food/gold display on the minimap
- Lit rockbound/cave and ford terrain now give correct gold/food
- Nerfed radar, but implemented it better
- Added race icons
- Slightly improved cruiser line attack animation
- Forced canrecruit=yes planets to have the standard nozoc ellipse (the spiky one looked bad)
- Removed the obsolete launching file
- Lots of other little fixes and tweaks
My current projects:
Kipples

Post by Kipples »

Looking at the changelog and testing confirms that the issue where you have more than 2 players and the game ends prematurely when 1 player dies is still in the 1.14 release. if you play for example the 3p FFA map and kill off 1 player the game just ends. I wrote a patch to fix this in the 1.12 version looks like it didn't make it over to 1.14. I think that this still is not quite correct implementation though as the losers will get a "victory" screen but at least the game ends where expected.
Kipples

Post by Kipples »

Here is another replay from my map showcasing a strong P1 rush, I think this may be a little too strong, needs some more testing. This rush can also be performed with the Vendeeni (I tested this but don't have replay) and is a little more aggressive due to the cheaper ships, but terran is nice as your soldier is so strong. If this ends up giving p1 too much of an advantage I think moving the artifacts around will be the easiest way to nerf this.
Attachments
2p - GE Ion Nova Terran Rush.gz
(64.01 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Here's a replay / bug report :) on Ion Nova

Highlights:

1st player rush is stronk even without turbobooster. Definitely need some nerf there
Rover needs +1 g
Some GUI issues with right display resources (gold and food) not being fully displayed. Perhaps smaller font?
HQs don't switch graphics when destroyed
Population becomes -1 when a HQ dies. Kipples says it counts HQ as a unit.
Attachments
2p - GE Ion Nova replay.gz
(58.17 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
Dornteufel

Post by Dornteufel »

Unfortunately the Galactic Empires Era isn't working for me at all since switching to 1.14. I'm currently using Wesnoth 1.14.3 on Ubuntu. The details were:

Macro/file '~add-ons/Galactic_Empires/maps/galaxy-alt' is missing
at ~add-ons/Galactic_Empires/scenarios/1p_GE_Test.cfg:5
included from ~add-ons/Galactic_Empires/_main.cfg:23